BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
414bhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

DMV and road salt?

Hi guys,

I am shopping for M3s and I am trying to get a sense for how much road salt exposure a DC/Maryland/Virginia car (2009 model year) would have seen over the last winters. How many times each winter do they salt in your metro-area?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
the past 2 winters have been really mild; barely any snow; therefore barely any salt on the roads
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i am not sure how you are trying to derive an answer from that. The answer is really going to vary and the only way to tell is by talking to the owner. If the owner never takes his/her car out of during storms/bad days then the question does not provide any good answers. Also, what if the guy went up to NY and PA many times and they have had worse winters than we did, how would you be able to figure that out from our winter.

What color is the car? I would suggest when you do a PPI, also have a detailer look and give you an evaluation as well as many/many detailed pix as you are looking to buy a car out of your area.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
414bhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do they only salt when it actually snows? Or do they put down salt preemptively in other situations too?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
414bhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
i am not sure how you are trying to derive an answer from that. The answer is really going to vary and the only way to tell is by talking to the owner. If the owner never takes his/her car out of during storms/bad days then the question does not provide any good answers. Also, what if the guy went up to NY and PA many times and they have had worse winters than we did, how would you be able to figure that out from our winter.

What color is the car? I would suggest when you do a PPI, also have a detailer look and give you an evaluation as well as many/many detailed pix as you are looking to buy a car out of your area.

Good luck.
The car is gray. You bring up good points about PA and NY. Unfortunately, the car is at a dealership so I won't be able to ask the owner any questions myself. Your idea about asking a detailer to take a look is excellent and I'll see if it is possible.

The reason I ask these questions is because I would be shipping the car back to California, and everyone out here (including me too, apparently) shuns cars with salt in their histories.

My prior car (a New England Evo) got pretty rusty on the shocks, rear differential, exhaust, and a fair bit of the engine compartment too. For those of you that do drive your M3s on salted roads, where does the M3 build rust?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ci - E90 ///M - 330 - X5D

It also completely depends on where the car was located with in MD/VA/DC Western MD gets pounded when the rest of the state can be 50 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
414bhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
It also completely depends on where the car was located with in MD/VA/DC Western MD gets pounded when the rest of the state can be 50 degrees.
Looking at the carfax, I see the registration and emissions inspection of the car both say Fairfax, VA. So maybe it was around there.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
soniczoom5
S65 FTW!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 BMW M3 Silverstone

Garage List
2014 Mercedes  [0.00]
2020 X5 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
Do they only salt when it actually snows? Or do they put down salt preemptively in other situations too?
prior to any project snow, the DMV typically sprays down a special chemical to combat accumulation; actual salting of roads doesn't happen unless we get a good amount of snow; again, i've been really upset with the snowfall the past 2 years; it's been very weak
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
How many times each winter do they salt in your metro-area?

Thanks!
everytime it's projected to snow or sleet...so about 4-5 times a winter.

Because the car won't be constantly exposed to road salt here, it's a non-issue, especially if you're not keeping the car past 100k miles...

Here's the thing, you're thinking WAY too much into this and unless this is a private sale, it's impossible to find your answer. How would you find out if this car was never driven in the winter and the owner had a 2nd winter-only car?

It's impossible for you to gauge the car's winter maintenance unless you know the owner. Someone like me would drive the car out with salt on the ground, but will do a underbody spray every week after the salt has been laid down, and this would be the type of owner you're looking for. In general, if the owner appears to be very anal about the appearance and maintenance of the car, then you should have some comfort level.

Last edited by mdosu; 04-24-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
414bhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Here's the thing, you're thinking WAY too much into this and unless this is a private sale, it's impossible to find your answer.
Yes, you are right about me over thinking it. At this point I'll just assume if it is a DC area car it has seen some salt, and that if I want a completely salt-free car I should buy from a sunshine state.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you are right about me over thinking it. At this point I'll just assume if it is a DC area car it has seen some salt, and that if I want a completely salt-free car I should buy from a sunshine state.

sunshine state cars aren't that great either. Would you pick a car that's housed in a Florida car port instead of garage? What about a car in a desert area? etc etc etc etc

There's too much going on...just pick the car with proper maintenace records and mimium blemishes for the right price...unless of course you know the owner.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

show us the car. maybe we might know something about it or can check it out if it's local to us.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
414bhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the car:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...ngId=115284168

The dealer's asking price is $45,900, and for $4k they are willing to have the car CPO'ed.

It is a kind offer to check out the car in person, but don't want to waste anyone's time. I am still a few weeks out from being ready to purchase and I am not sure I want the hassle of getting a car on the far side of the country.

To open a different can of worms, what are the problems with Florida and desert cars?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep

car looks good. I think there might be people here who can actually name a salesperson or two at the dealership. we at Mid-Atlantik don't mind help out if it's for be-Am-doblu
:-)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

ahh... the rare 8-speed transmission...lol, seriously some attention to detail would never hurt with these ads. Do you know what the sticker was on this car?

45.9 for a non-CPO is high for a 2009 (my browser keeps crashing, so I'm assuming it's in the $67k range sticker). I would try to walk out with $43k excluding shipping fees but including all dealer fees for a cash deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
414bhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
45.9 for a non-CPO is high for a 2009. I would try to walk out with $43k excluding shipping fees but including all dealer fees for a cash deal.
Yes, that sounds about the right to me too. I was thinking maybe $46k including the CPO. (I assume the CPO costs the dealer about $3300.)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that sounds about the right to me too. I was thinking maybe $46k including the CPO. (I assume the CPO costs the dealer about $3300.)
there's an invoice for the cost to warranty as well. Just show up at your local dealer with the VIN and they can quote you.

You'll see the warranty costs (and features) are different if the car is in-warranty our out of warranty too when you purchase extended. Anyways, if it's a 2009 it likely either just off-warranty or about to expire, so I would get the details straight on this ASAP so you dont' miss any extend warranty opportunities. If the car is still in-warranty when you buy it, you have a window to seperately shop extended warranty offers from other dealers or to even sleep on the concept itself, so if this is the case, don't feel pressured to buy their extended warranty on the spot (or at lest try to negoitate a better deal since you are buying a car from them on a related transaction.)

good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
414bhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
there's an invoice for the cost to warranty as well. Just show up at your local dealer with the VIN and they can quote you.

You'll see the warranty costs (and features) are different if the car is in-warranty our out of warranty too when you purchase extended. Anyways, if it's a 2009 it likely either just off-warranty or about to expire, so I would get the details straight on this ASAP so you dont' miss any extend warranty opportunities. If the car is still in-warranty when you buy it, you have a window to seperately shop extended warranty offers from other dealers or to even sleep on the concept itself, so if this is the case, don't feel pressured to buy their extended warranty on the spot (or at lest try to negoitate a better deal since you are buying a car from them on a related transaction.)

good luck.
The car is still under-warranty (until June), so I have the BMW branded extended warranties as an option too. However, the last time I checked, they were actually more expensive than the CPO.
Appreciate 0