BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

03-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

UTI?

Little off topic but I was just curious since most of us hear are enthusiast.. I wanted to know what you guys think of UTI. Right now I go to a community college it's boring as hell, I hate it, same old shit I learned back in highschool math English etc. I was thinking of starting the 51 week program At UTI in Chicago for BMW tech, but i don't wanna pay all that money and not be able to get a job and not learn anything I already dont know. So what do you guys think have you heard anything about UTI? pros or cons? Do you know anyone who went there, any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

i looked in to UTI at one point and spoke to a teacher that i had that went there. You get out of it what you put in to it. He was really dumb and couldn't answer any of our questions in class so i don't really have a good opinion of them. I know that here in so cal if you are able to get a job at a dealer they pay to send you to UTI to get BMW training, so they know there stuff you just have to be willing to work really hard and learn on your own.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmn1337 View Post
i looked in to UTI at one point and spoke to a teacher that i had that went there. You get out of it what you put in to it. He was really dumb and couldn't answer any of our questions in class so i don't really have a good opinion of them. I know that here in so cal if you are able to get a job at a dealer they pay to send you to UTI to get BMW training, so they know there stuff you just have to be willing to work really hard and learn on your own.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

UTI is a waste of time from talking to friends etc..

How is this E90 related?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

I saw UTI and thought urinary tract infection.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
UTI is a waste of time from talking to friends etc..

How is this E90 related?
Yeah that's what I've heard from a few also. But did I not mention that it's a little of topic.?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Sidney
Dishonorably discharged
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i 6MT

lol me too
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
BlackBB6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
I can't really speak on going to UTI, but I was in your shoes once so I figured I would share. I almost quit and went to UTI when I was working part time and going to community college full time. When it came down to it, I wanted to earn more than most careers working on cars could provide. Not to say you can't make a good living working on cars. As much as I liked messing around on my car or my friends, I couldn't see myself doing it for a job.

College isn't for everyone either though, most people I know got absolutely worthless degrees because they had easy course loads or sounded fun. Only you will know if working on cars is what you want to do, if it is then check out UTI or other paths you can take to get a career working on bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
KnoxDawg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict
+1
      03-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Cranberry juice???
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

UTI Graduate

i did the standard 52 week program, the ford fact program, BMW Fast Track 12 week program and the BMW fact, it is all what you put into it. There pretty strict there ( dress code, being punctual and so on). I can tell you from experience the only thing i fully got out of it was not paying a mechanic to work on my car. Even though i was 10th in my class of about 500, i had a extremely difficult time finding a job in the field, Although i do finally work for BMW i did take me 3 years after graduation to do so. If cars are your passion and you can deal with very early mornings and six hour days, Go for it. In the school its all a competition and as long as you feel you can be better than the majority you'll do great. I wish you luck in your future education
      03-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_boostjunky View Post
Little off topic but I was just curious since most of us hear are enthusiast.. I wanted to know what you guys think of UTI. Right now I go to a community college it's boring as hell, I hate it, same old shit I learned back in highschool math English etc. I was thinking of starting the 51 week program At UTI in Chicago for BMW tech, but i don't wanna pay all that money and not be able to get a job and not learn anything I already dont know. So what do you guys think have you heard anything about UTI? pros or cons? Do you know anyone who went there, any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance

As a current UTI student, I can tell you if cars are your passion go for it..Every 3 weeks a new class, basically every other day you have lab work But don't expect to walk up to a dealership and become a flat rate technician...Especially a company as BMW..Yes their are alot of cheaper schools out there but UTI has been know for years of having SOME of the best of the best student..If you actually go to school n have a basic knowledge of automobile your fine..Yes their is a BMW Fast track, which helps you get your foot in the door but it is extra $$ and only available in certain campus...Their is also BMW Step program which is what Im attending in the fall but its not open enrollment, you basically have to be accepted into it. Schooling is not cheap $31,000 for basic auto...assuming you dont have to repeat any class (which is pathetic if you do IMO). You could call admission, but IMO their pointless just go to the school, tour, talk to different instructions get a feel for it before making any decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooooman View Post
i did the standard 52 week program, the ford fact program, BMW Fast Track 12 week program and the BMW fact, it is all what you put into it. There pretty strict there ( dress code, being punctual and so on). I can tell you from experience the only thing i fully got out of it was not paying a mechanic to work on my car. Even though i was 10th in my class of about 500, i had a extremely difficult time finding a job in the field, Although i do finally work for BMW i did take me 3 years after graduation to do so. If cars are your passion and you can deal with very early mornings and six hour days, Go for it. In the school its all a competition and as long as you feel you can be better than the majority you'll do great. I wish you luck in your future education
Just curious why didn't you attend any step programs ?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

I grad from UTI to the ELITE mercedes benz program in 13 months. Like others have said you get what you put into it. IF you have a true passion for cars then you should ask every question even if its a stupid one. During the high performance class, i got soo bored a made a quija board out of cardboard and used a ring and scared a few buddies lol. But again its all up to you, its great for hands on exp using the 5 gas analyzer/smog dyno/dynojet/flowbench/alignment rack and all the other bs equipments. Youll run into all ricers there talking about carbon fiber to those american muscle with their small blocks.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

My friend went there. He said it was a huge waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

id say UTI is junk...theres plenty of accredited tech schools out there at which you can get an actual degree. For instance i went to Pennsylvania College of Technology which is owned by penn state-they offer 2 and 4 year programs in automotive technology and auto technology management. Id suggest going to a school which offers something like way above going to a tech factory like UTI or wyotech..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
DMafia46
Hates Posers
Rep
Drives: E46M3,335xi,Lambo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
+1 i hovered over the thread to get a preview before i clicked on it
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

My experience with UTI is limited. I went to Wyotech. Did the basic automotive tech courses and also chassis fab/ high performance engine course (before they separated into 2 courses). The basic automotive class isn't anything that you couldn't pick up wrenching at a dealer or even pep boys lol. The high performance engine/ chassis fab course was very informative. Although the high school I went to had a very in depth metal shop I had already learned all the different types of welding, machining parts on both manual and cnc lathes and milling machines; I was able to hone my welding skills at Wyotech.

Anyway my experience with UTI was at completion of my program I was accepted into the VW VATRP and also the BMW STEP program. I chose the VW program as it was only 3 months and BMW was 12...
At this point I already had 4yrs of college plus the automotive tech schooling. So I didn't want to spend an additional year at another automotive school... Looking back I should've went into the BMW step program as it would've been paid for.
The VW academy was very informative and pretty fun. I went around the time the VW Phaeton came out; we had one at school, it was pretty cool.
I'll add that the Wyotech campus I went to was in blairsville, pa... That location made it kind of a shitty experience. The UTI campus I went to was in Glendale heights just outside Chicago.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #19
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

You can't spell Urinary Tract Infection without U and I

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

friend went there, didn't get a job after he graduated and so basically said he wasted his time and money... sucks to hear but yeah definitely doesn't sound like there's high job security upon completion at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #21
Z3->WRX->335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by project6 View Post
Cranberry juice???
      03-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

i use to work at UTI (Rancho Cucamonga campus) in the financial aid dept. From my experience, those schools seem to be mostly about business with no interest in the student. We would have meetings to get out 'numbers up' and push students into getting more and more student loans. I know the diesel and STEP programs were most popular on our end because they cost the most as extra programs.

However, there are new regulations from Dept. of Ed. called gainful employment. This basically requires all for profit institutions to publicly display that going to x school for x degree will more than likely get you x minimum salary.

if you can't pay for it out of pocket, don't bother.
Appreciate 0