BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

01-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

asking GTS5 bumper owner, Did you cut a hole for tow hook?

I found that our GTS5 bumper came without a tow hook hole. The position of the tow hook is behind a carbon piece. My question is, what did you guys do to it? Is cutting it the only option? I need it available for track event.

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
M3GTC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouzitao
I found that our GTS5 bumper came without a tow hook hole. The position of the tow hook is behind a carbon piece. My question is, what did you guys do to it? Is cutting it the only option? I need it available for track event.
I did not cut the hole for the tow hook but it is possible. Also that's really the only way to go a tow hook in the front
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
M3_FJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

If you have to put a hole for the tow hook i would suggest using a hole saw bit rather then "cutting" It will be much cleaner cut. What i did on my race bike to install frame sliders through the fairings was take a Sharpie marker, cut it down short, insert it into hole where frame bolt goes(marker tip facing out) and put fairing back on bike. Then press fairing onto marker, remove fairing and you know exactly where to put pilot hole for hole saw bit. You could apply same technique for bumper by inserting marker into tow hook hole. Time consuming yes but it will be a perfect cut and line up.
Attached Images

Last edited by M3_FJ; 01-12-2013 at 05:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_FJ View Post
If you have to put a hole for the tow hook i would suggest using a hole saw bit rather then "cutting" It will be much cleaner cut. What i did on my race bike to install frame sliders through the fairings was take a Sharpie marker, cut it down short, insert it into hole where frame bolt goes(marker tip facing out) and put fairing back on bike. Then press fairing onto marker, remove fairing and you know exactly where to put pilot hole for hole saw bit. You could apply same technique for bumper by inserting marker into tow hook hole. Time consuming yes but it will be a perfect cut and line up.
thanks a lot for the advice, I would let IND do it since they will be install my bumper.

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

I was really interested in this bumper. I went to McKenna BMW and was able to pull a new one out of the box and examine it. It was very well made. It was fairly light, good quality CF and it was well protected in the box. The fact that it did not have a tow hook cap on the bumper turned me off. Otherwise it was immaculate.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
I was really interested in this bumper. I went to McKenna BMW and was able to pull a new one out of the box and examine it. It was very well made. It was fairly light, good quality CF and it was well protected in the box. The fact that it did not have a tow hook cap on the bumper turned me off. Otherwise it was immaculate.
well, the paint on my bumper was damaged during shipping, I sent them to IND for repair on Thursday. Still deciding drill a tow hook hole or not, because its on the beautiful carbon part.

Appreciate 0