BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Mporium BMW

08-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #45
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Awesome pictures!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #46
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Results

Those are some excellent pictures. Nice work. You should submit the one of the two of you in the BMW Motorsport shirts to BMW. If I didn't know any better, I would think it was straight out of their catalog!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #47
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #48
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
Those are some excellent pictures. Nice work. You should submit the one of the two of you in the BMW Motorsport shirts to BMW. If I didn't know any better, I would think it was straight out of their catalog!
Thank you. I probably should, huh?! I must admit I do have a tad more BMW apparel than what someone would consider normal
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #49
cghempel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Stunning photos! I wish that I could shoot pics of that quality

Is there any way you could post high-resolution files? I would love to use that first one and the one taken from the balcony as my desktop
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #50
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghempel View Post

Is there any way you could post high-resolution files? I would love to use that first one and the one taken from the balcony as my desktop
Thank you sir!

If you are interested, here is my recipe. A nice Digital SLR camera, I shoot with Canon 5D, then even more important is lens, you gotta have at least one high quality zoom lens, I prefer Canon L optics. They are expensive, but a nice camera and cheap optics is a waste of money, so if someone goes as far as buying a high quality camera, a nice lens is a must. Other than that - to shoot landscape you'd need a sturdy tripod; I use Gitzo, and a cable remote to prevent vibrations. To shoot portrait I use flash a lot.

Once you get all this, there is nothing to blame Just get out and shoot, try different angles, different time of day, inclement weather, etc. Avoid shooting in harsh sun. But no matter what you shoot watch your histogram, ideally it has to be shifted to the right without anything being blown out or severely underexposed. If you end up throwing away 15 exposures and keeping 1 - you're doing great. To get quality there is no other way than to shoot RAW, forget about jpeg. Your camera must be always set to shoot RAW unless you’re shooting a drinking party.

After that it is all about post-processing. There are a few masters of Photoshop on this forum, but Photoshop can be rather intimidating, and it is time consuming even for pros. I use it, but none of the pictures featured in this thread were processed in Photoshop, other that batch processing of resolution to fit the requirements of this forum. I process my RAW images in Lightroom 2. There is 3, but i haven't got to upgrading it just yet. This tool will take your images to a whole new level. Yes, I recommend reading a book on it, but it is a fraction of difficulty of mastering Photoshop. It has a lot of features, but all you really need to know is the Develop module. Its “General-Auto Tone” preset makes wonders, and you can google a bunch of other people’s presets and play around with them all day. Just don’t over-do it, it is easy to get carried away with all the controls.

That’s about it. It does take some dedication, not everyone is willing to carry around a backpack with photo gear and tripod and then sit and process the raw material.

Good luck!

PS I'll try to upload some high resolution images to some 3rd party web site and post a link right here.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #51
brandons
Private
Rep
Drives:

Anyone ever mentioned that you look like Jerry O' Connell?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #52
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandons View Post
Anyone ever mentioned that you look like Jerry O' Connell?
ooh, that's a stretch
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #53
Shaun@AW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

looks great
      08-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #54
cghempel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
Thank you sir!

If you are interested, here is my recipe. A nice Digital SLR camera, I shoot with Canon 5D, then even more important is lens, you gotta have at least one high quality zoom lens, I prefer Canon L optics. They are expensive, but a nice camera and cheap optics is a waste of money, so if someone goes as far as buying a high quality camera, a nice lens is a must. Other than that - to shoot landscape you'd need a sturdy tripod; I use Gitzo, and a cable remote to prevent vibrations. To shoot portrait I use flash a lot.

Once you get all this, there is nothing to blame Just get out and shoot, try different angles, different time of day, inclement weather, etc. Avoid shooting in harsh sun. But no matter what you shoot watch your histogram, ideally it has to be shifted to the right without anything being blown out or severely underexposed. If you end up throwing away 15 exposures and keeping 1 - you're doing great. To get quality there is no other way than to shoot RAW, forget about jpeg. Your camera must be always set to shoot RAW unless you’re shooting a drinking party.

After that it is all about post-processing. There are a few masters of Photoshop on this forum, but Photoshop can be rather intimidating, and it is time consuming even for pros. I use it, but none of the pictures featured in this thread were processed in Photoshop, other that batch processing of resolution to fit the requirements of this forum. I process my RAW images in Lightroom 2. There is 3, but i haven't got to upgrading it just yet. This tool will take your images to a whole new level. Yes, I recommend reading a book on it, but it is a fraction of difficulty of mastering Photoshop. It has a lot of features, but all you really need to know is the Develop module. Its “General-Auto Tone” preset makes wonders, and you can google a bunch of other people’s presets and play around with them all day. Just don’t over-do it, it is easy to get carried away with all the controls.

That’s about it. It does take some dedication, not everyone is willing to carry around a backpack with photo gear and tripod and then sit and process the raw material.

Good luck!

PS I'll try to upload some high resolution images to some 3rd party web site and post a link right here.

Thank you very much for the advice! I am new to SLR cameras and such as I just purchased my first SLR in July. It is nothing fancy (Sony A33 I believe) but it is definitely enough to fuel my growing interest in photography. I also purchased a zoom lens.

I will give what you said a try. I have been playing around with the zoom lens lately and have actually captured (in my novice opinion) some great photographs. I am sure Photoshop and Lightroom can help enhance.

Thanks again and awesome photos! I look forward to the high resolution images, I bet they are even more stunning.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #55
tlav17
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Thank you sir!

Good luck!

your pictures are stunning. I'm pretty new to DSLR photography and I would love to be able to take shots like that. what lens are you using? thanks

Past: '08 Alpine White M3, '07 Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe, '04 Imola Red M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #56
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlav17 View Post
your pictures are stunning. I'm pretty new to DSLR photography and I would love to be able to take shots like that. what lens are you using? thanks
Thanks a lot!

I'm using Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM - excellent walk around lens. if I had the money to buy just one, I'd get this one. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx This is the best web site for canon equipment reviews, again in my opinion.

I also have Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM - this one has just stunning optics, it is a lot sharper than my 24-105, but it is not as versatile. If I had the cash at the time, I would have bought the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM, but it is a lot more expensive. Both of these are outstanding for portrait.

And the last one in my bag is Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. This is not an "L" lens, but it is very very sharp (just as good as "L") and offers super wide aperture. Since it is a fixed focal length lens aka prime lens, I use it very seldom. I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you have a specific use for a 50 mm lens or a wide f/1.4 apperture.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #57
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' M3 E92

Quote:
Thank you sir!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info I might have to try a nice SLR after I get my new M3. But for now the PHD Push Here Dummy camera works good for me.

- As others have stated the picture of you and the Mrs. in the white BMW T-Shirts is tops.

Thanks for posting.........
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:11 PM   #58
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Congrats. and top notch pictures. Seriously they look very pro especially the second one.
Congrats
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #59
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

great photos!

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #60
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghempel View Post

If someone can recommend a website where I can post high resolution images for free, I'll be happy to do it. I tried Flikr, but with free account it is not possibleto share hi res..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #61
diablito
motorist
Peru
Rep
Drives: E90M, E93M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Looks like a great time...amazing captures, stelvio pass with the rain drops over the carbon roof..wow! just amazing!
      08-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #62
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

You can try Google's Picasa.

I have a paid Flickr account so it allows for unlimited full size pics.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #63
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

epic!!!!!!!!!!
      08-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #64
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Nice! Man I wish I could move back to main land Europe with my M3!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #65
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Fantastic shots
      08-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #66
tlav17
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

I'm using Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM - excellent walk around lens. if I had the money to buy just one, I'd get this one. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx This is the best web site for canon equipment reviews, again in my opinion.

I also have Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM - this one has just stunning optics, it is a lot sharper than my 24-105, but it is not as versatile. If I had the cash at the time, I would have bought the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM, but it is a lot more expensive. Both of these are outstanding for portrait.

And the last one in my bag is Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. This is not an "L" lens, but it is very very sharp (just as good as "L") and offers super wide aperture. Since it is a fixed focal length lens aka prime lens, I use it very seldom. I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you have a specific use for a 50 mm lens or a wide f/1.4 apperture.
cool! thanks for the advice

Past: '08 Alpine White M3, '07 Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe, '04 Imola Red M3 Coupe
Appreciate 0