BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Ken.T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Question About the New Idrive

Can 2008 M3 update to the new idrive?
      07-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Jury is still out on this. . .too soon to tell until a bit more info is released but I've gotta say it doesn't seem too likely. With that said, that would be amazing for current M3 and 3-series owners.
      07-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
good question, but I have no clue

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Given what we know about the components I would say that it would be possible, but very costly. If BMW Assist retrofit costs 1500-1700 (from the dealer), I'd imagine it would be at least twice as much.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Very very cost prohibitive..... if at all possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 04:51 AM   #6
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Many

If this really comes on everyting from 1/3-7 series I would believe that this is a drop in replacement.

But lets see.
      07-07-2008, 05:08 AM   #7
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramsen View Post
If this really comes on everyting from 1/3-7 series I would believe that this is a drop in replacement.

But lets see.
What do you mean by drop in replacement? Meaning that it fits in the same area without new paneling or pieces? I'm thinking with a hard drive, new better definition screen, and other equipment it is going to be hard to "drop in" the components. i hope i'm wrong though...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 05:32 AM   #8
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

What I mean is that unless they are changing everything (Dashboard controller, steering wheel Controller, middle console layout, Climate controller etc) the new CCC (Or whatever it is called now) must be in principle working the same way.

Meaning K-Bus for the controllers and the MOST for media, now if I was BMW I would make sure that the new Box uses that same cables and does not require changing all the dependencies (CD,DAB,Bluetooth, USB and TV modules).

If this is correct; I think that the only thing you need is a new CCC and A TFT panel which will fit in the existing brackets and the rest will still work. The I-Drive controller for the extra buttons, but I do imaging that the K-Bus signals for turning/Clicking the thing will be the same.

But if they go back to the old design of putting the Controller in the back then that upgrade will probably be a little more complex (Unless they use the MOST for everything). And if they do this it will require a complete new dashboard design which I think is unlikely in 2 old models at the same time.....

Anyway I am hoping for a MKIII-MKIV upgrade expreicence......
      07-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #9
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

If this iDrive shows up in the '09 M3 is really gonna kill all of us '08 owners on resale.
      07-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
What I mean is that unless they are changing everything (Dashboard controller, steering wheel Controller, middle console layout, Climate controller etc) the new CCC (Or whatever it is called now) must be in principle working the same way.

Meaning K-Bus for the controllers and the MOST for media, now if I was BMW I would make sure that the new Box uses that same cables and does not require changing all the dependencies (CD,DAB,Bluetooth, USB and TV modules).

If this is correct; I think that the only thing you need is a new CCC and A TFT panel which will fit in the existing brackets and the rest will still work. The I-Drive controller for the extra buttons, but I do imaging that the K-Bus signals for turning/Clicking the thing will be the same.

But if they go back to the old design of putting the Controller in the back then that upgrade will probably be a little more complex (Unless they use the MOST for everything). And if they do this it will require a complete new dashboard design which I think is unlikely in 2 old models at the same time.....

Anyway I am hoping for a MKIII-MKIV upgrade expreicence......
Because just the CCC is going to be a HDD-based system, I doubt that this will be a simple retrofit/replacement of the existing DVD-based CCC just because this new CCC will also replace the current CD-drive.

That means that the wiring harnesses/connectors themselves and the software running this new system will be definitely different because a new single, integrated unit will be performing the functions of two old and separate units and much, much more.

I doubt that the new iDrive controller will share the same wiring harness as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

Why wouldn't this be a software upgrade? The new iDrive operating won't be contingent on the new buttons, will it?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #12
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
Why wouldn't this be a software upgrade? The new iDrive operating won't be contingent on the new buttons, will it?
I'm afraid it will. It's a completely new system, even the supplier has changed. A upgrade would at least require a new head unit (CIC), a new display, the new controller (possibly new center console) and new wiring. There might be even some more electronic components involved.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #13
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Because just the CCC is going to be a HDD-based system, I doubt that this will be a simple retrofit/replacement of the existing DVD-based CCC just because this new CCC will also replace the current CD-drive.

That means that the wiring harnesses/connectors themselves and the software running this new system will be definitely different because a new single, integrated unit will be performing the functions of two old and separate units and much, much more.
The current unit is already one part with a modular design just as I would expect the new unit to be. Further the HDD could be connected via the MOST but no matter what a 2'5 or a SSD drive does not take up more space than the present DVD drive. But ideally they will connect it on the MOST and put it in the back (Noice, but okay we have a fan now anyway).

The wires (Not connectors) going to the new system will not be any different as everything runs over busses and the CCC translates between them and the MOST as it is today.

Quote:
I doubt that the new iDrive controller will share the same wiring harness as well...
If they run new wires to the I-Drive controller it would be completely stupid as this is already connected to the K-BUS, they just need to add a new K-BUS controller and a few buttons to the existing one. I am sure that this will not change (maybe the connector but not the wires).

Anyways one thing is that it is probably not an extremely complex thing to do and another is whether or not BMW will allow it as it will probably require reprogramming of existing modules.
The antenna (GPS, FM…) may also need an update.
      07-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #14
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I'm afraid it will. It's a completely new system, even the supplier has changed. A upgrade would at least require a new head unit (CIC), a new display, the new controller (possibly new center console) and new wiring. There might be even some more electronic components involved.

Best regards, south
Why wiring? As I said everyting is already on the bus systems...
      07-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #15
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If this does infact prove to be a pain in the ass, prohibitively costly, or dramatically affect resale value - I will officially be done with BMWs forever.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #16
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If this does infact prove to be a pain in the ass, prohibitively costly, or dramatically affect resale value - I will officially be done with BMWs forever.
If a drop in is made I think you will be looking at 3500-5500 USD. And probaly 2000-3000 USD dropped in resale value in 4-5 years if you do not have it.

Quote:
I do not think so either as there is probaly a lot more juice (CPU/RAM) in the new unit.
      07-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #17
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If a drop in is made I think you will be looking at 3500-5500 USD. And probaly 2000-3000 USD dropped in resale value in 4-5 years if you do not have it.
Doesn't make a difference - it's a principle thing. I can understand a tail light update or slight facelift, but to totally overhaul a major feature of the car after I just spent $3,250 for this now antiquated system just 2 months ago is fucking weak.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
That's pretty extreme. Upgrades happen throughout a model's lifecycle. If I recall, the E46 Nav got upgraded from a 4:3 to 16:9 screen fairly early on in the model run. That probably wasn't an easy retrofit either. Its just the way things work. You still have an amazingly capable car, so I would enjoy driving it and not worry too much about the nifty gadgets on the dash.

Also, strictly speaking, you did not spend $3250 on this feature. In fact, you got a great deal on the Nav/IDrive since you got ZTP. But even if you had gotten the stand-alone option it would only have been $2100.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #19
nitramsen
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't make a difference - it's a principle thing. I can understand a tail light update or slight facelift, but to totally overhaul a major feature of the car after I just spent $3,250 for this now antiquated system just 2 months ago is fucking weak.
I totally agree you with.

And here in europe we paid close to 10.000 USD (Idrive,Navi,Blue,Indl Audio) for a outdated system.....
      07-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #20
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Why wiring? As I said everyting is already on the bus systems...
Seems logical, so not a new wiring but new connections!?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #21
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That's pretty extreme. Upgrades happen throughout a model's lifecycle. If I recall, the E46 Nav got upgraded from a 4:3 to 16:9 screen fairly early on in the model run. That probably wasn't an easy retrofit either. Its just the way things work. You still have an amazingly capable car, so I would enjoy driving it and not worry too much about the nifty gadgets on the dash.

Also, strictly speaking, you did not spend $3250 on this feature. In fact, you got a great deal on the Nav/IDrive since you got ZTP. But even if you had gotten the stand-alone option it would only have been $2100.
pretty sure the 4:3 to 16:9 was after the first year

i am dying to know whether we're going to see this new i-drive in the 09 m3s or not!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
pretty sure the 4:3 to 16:9 was after the first year
Quite possible, but like I said, it was definitely early on. Point is, no matter when you buy, there's always better things coming out soon after.
Appreciate 0