BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

12-02-2015, 03:03 AM   #1
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Manufacturing problems plague C&D's Corvette C7

It can happen to anyone; apparently they spun a rod bearing at 6000 miles.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...m-test-wrap-up

I'm not suggesting this is problematic of the entire C7; I've seen plenty of examples that suggest it's just QC at the factory, and tbh, the C7 is the first Corvette I actually seriously considered owning; probably would have pulled the trigger too if it had been out 6 months earlier.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

As someone who has a C7.

Its clearly not the best made car, although every car has their share of problems. could careless about these articles because thats what a warranty is for. But if these corvettes in a few years turn out to be another poorly made GM product, i will just sell it. Until then i will enjoy this sexy, and fast car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
BRBM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
It can happen to anyone; apparently they spun a rod bearing at 6000 miles.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...m-test-wrap-up

I'm not suggesting this is problematic of the entire C7; I've seen plenty of examples that suggest it's just QC at the factory, and tbh, the C7 is the first Corvette I actually seriously considered owning; probably would have pulled the trigger too if it had been out 6 months earlier.
MmmHm; read about this in the hard copy mag. True. It could happen to any of us, especially if you're running it as hard as I suspect the C&D staff is doing. On the other hand, ain't surprised and won't be if a pattern - in reality - has or will develop regarding problems.

'Cause remember - assuming you read Motor Trend, the Best Drivers Car Z06 blew a supercharger and essentially got a DNF. (A time was recorded, but it was way slow due to the blowup.)

To be clear, same ole sorry-ass United Auto Workers Union's B.S. workmanship. Can't stand those UAW f----s with their We don't give sh-- work ethic. Doubt me? Look at the products & compare. Not enough? How about those Chrysler workers caught in the park on their lunch break boozin' & puffin' their butt off 'fore they go work on somebody's car in the afternoon.

So, word to the wise, if it's not made south of the Mason-Dixon line in a right-to-work State?.....(read: In the South). Betta watch out. Might not even get what you paid for.

I will concede that there may be some American manufacturers who are exceptions to the rule (please show me); and vice versa for foreign mfgs. But BMW plants are in South Carolina; Nissan in Tennessee; Mercedes in Alabama. Do you think these foreign manufacturers chose those locations for s--ts & giggles?

Uh......no. Unlike our American companies (in general), foreign companies tend to give a rat's ass about the product they sell to us American consumers.

Now would anyone like to hear what I really think?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Not a big fan of labor unions, that's for sure, but do you live south of the Mason Dixon line? I wouldn't pin my hopes on the average southerner is all I'm saying

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.

Last edited by Doc Oc; 12-02-2015 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
This MUNNI segment from NPR about the joint manufacturing venture between Toyota and GM was a huge eye opener for me on the quality of manufacturing that's coming from the big 3. It's a podcast, but the transcript is included for those of you (me included) that can read faster.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...sode/403/nummi
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
Doc Oc
Captain Fatbelly
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 amg

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
This MUNNI segment from NPR about the joint manufacturing venture between Toyota and GM was a huge eye opener for me on the quality of manufacturing that's coming from the big 3. It's a podcast, but the transcript is included for those of you (me included) that can read faster.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...sode/403/nummi
Good read....fucking unions have been the downfall of American cars for decades. They're like the mob. Amazing the control they have.

2008 dct coupe, evolve engine/dct tune, ttp, ms intake, megan exhaust, cf ds. Sold.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #7
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
As someone who has a C7.

Its clearly not the best made car, although every car has their share of problems. could careless about these articles because thats what a warranty is for. But if these corvettes in a few years turn out to be another poorly made GM product, i will just sell it. Until then i will enjoy this sexy, and fast car.
You traded in your M3 for the C7, correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
As someone who has a C7.

You traded in your M3 for the C7, correct?
No I still have my m3.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #9
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBM View Post
MmmHm; read about this in the hard copy mag. True. It could happen to any of us, especially if you're running it as hard as I suspect the C&D staff is doing. On the other hand, ain't surprised and won't be if a pattern - in reality - has or will develop regarding problems.

'Cause remember - assuming you read Motor Trend, the Best Drivers Car Z06 blew a supercharger and essentially got a DNF. (A time was recorded, but it was way slow due to the blowup.)

To be clear, same ole sorry-ass United Auto Workers Union's B.S. workmanship. Can't stand those UAW f----s with their We don't give sh-- work ethic. Doubt me? Look at the products & compare. Not enough? How about those Chrysler workers caught in the park on their lunch break boozin' & puffin' their butt off 'fore they go work on somebody's car in the afternoon.

So, word to the wise, if it's not made south of the Mason-Dixon line in a right-to-work State?.....(read: In the South). Betta watch out. Might not even get what you paid for.

I will concede that there may be some American manufacturers who are exceptions to the rule (please show me); and vice versa for foreign mfgs. But BMW plants are in South Carolina; Nissan in Tennessee; Mercedes in Alabama. Do you think these foreign manufacturers chose those locations for s--ts & giggles?

Uh......no. Unlike our American companies (in general), foreign companies tend to give a rat's ass about the product they sell to us American consumers.

Now would anyone like to hear what I really think?
Unrelated, how is your C63 holding up? Do you have an extended warranty for it?
      12-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Ford coyote engines are blowing piston 8 like crazy from over heating. We honestly have it really good with s65
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
Ford coyote engines are blowing piston 8 like crazy from over heating. We honestly have it really good with s65
Interesting. Wonder how the new Shelby's with the completely bespoke engines are going to hold up. Wouldn't hold my breath...
      12-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #12
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

They aren't bespoke. They use coyote and bore and stroke plus add floatplane crank. Otherwise very similar to coyote
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
They aren't bespoke. They use coyote and bore and stroke plus add floatplane crank. Otherwise very similar to coyote
I'd say a flatplane crank that no other Ford engine uses makes the engine pretty bespoke, but
      12-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #14
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well from a potential problem standpoint it's still a modular coyote which means same issues will plague it. Of course it's unique but not as different as it appears.
Appreciate 0