BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

12-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Iphone 5 bluetooth audio not working?

Hey guys, I currently have a '13 M3 with with nav and I have paired my iPhone up successfully. However, whenever I try to stream audio via bluetooth, nothing comes out of the car speakers, even though everything shows connected. Is this a known issue? If so, is there a fix?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
Hey guys, I currently have a '13 M3 with with nav and I have paired my iPhone up successfully. However, whenever I try to stream audio via bluetooth, nothing comes out of the car speakers, even though everything shows connected. Is this a known issue? If so, is there a fix?

Thanks!
Do you know which audio options you bought the car with? It sounds like you don't have a combox which is the unit that allows music streaming.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
BMWsully
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Mine is a 2013 with i-drive and sat radio (as far as entertainment options go).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsully View Post
Mine is a 2013 with i-drive and sat radio (as far as entertainment options go).
More than likely you'll need a combox upgrade. Check your trunk and take a pic and I can verify or if you have the build sheet on your car you could post that as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

If you have connected your phone by USB it automatically turns off bluetooth audio, and you have reselect it again in order for bluetooth audio to work. This is assuming when you look at the paired phone in the idrive settings the telephone is colored, and the music note is greyed out.

Click on the idrive controller, then click the options button next to the controller, and you'll see the bluetooth options for the phone. The telephone option should have a check mark, and the music will not. Click the check mark next to music and it should work.

You will have to do this anytime you have previously had the phone connected to the car by USB as that disables bluetooth streaming.

This is the problem I had and just figured out last night with help from my service advisor.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
If you have connected your phone by USB it automatically turns off bluetooth audio, and you have reselect it again in order for bluetooth audio to work. This is assuming when you look at the paired phone in the idrive settings the telephone is colored, and the music note is greyed out.

Click on the idrive controller, then click the options button next to the controller, and you'll see the bluetooth options for the phone. The telephone option should have a check mark, and the music will not. Click the check mark next to music and it should work.

You will have to do this anytime you have previously had the phone connected to the car by USB as that disables bluetooth streaming.

This is the problem I had and just figured out last night with help from my service advisor.
This is definitely a possibility as well. Normally you see a message on your phone's screen though when it disconnects if you have the audio feature in your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Limey
EXC MIII
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side

Garage List
Quote:

Possibly the most annoying flaw with the M3? Any way around this anyone?

Check out my build: Limey's E90 | Daily Driver Evolved

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
etrillion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:

Nice.. I have the same problem... going to give this a try tomorrow.
Appreciate 0