BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

07-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
PIAA Xtreme White 4150k vs. GP Thunder 7500k Comparison

I know some of you have been waiting impatiently for the PIAA vs. GP Thunders comparo, so here goes.

Expectations:
I expected the PIAA Xtreme's to be brighter and whiter than the GP Thunders, as well as have a better light distribution through both inner and outer angel eye. At $70 shipped, they're much more expensive than the GP's but I guess that accounts for PIAA being a very reliable product from a pretty big auto lighting manufacturer. (It shouldn't, when the GP's are $25 shipped and I haven't had one problem with them).

Install:
Easy, open the hood, open the small headlight cover, twist, remove, install, twist back on. 5 minutes.

Results/Conclusion:
Disappointing. Clearly the bulbs are not as white as I had hoped and are much more towards the yellow-side of the spectrum than the GP Thunders. I should've known that a 4150 measurement on the Kelvin scale wouldn't be as white as the 7500k on the GP's

It was worth a shot but the GP's are just hands down a better bulb, better color. The PIAA's are on their way back to Amazon.com as I write this.

Light distribution seems to be about the same as the GP's, the outer ring can certainly use more light as far as both lights are concerned. The GP's aren't great, but they're definitely not bad, better than stock and a very good $25 mod.

Since the BMW lighting module for the angel eyes is limited to 35 watts, I'm not sure if we'll ever see a bulb that will offer better (more) light distribution. Although I'm tempted to place the OEM BMW bulb in tomorrow and see how that bulb's light distribution compares with the GP's and PIAAs.

I'd like to see the Angel iBright's in person and might cruise down to EAS here in SoCal to check them out.

The GP's are fine but if you want better light distribution, a better color on the temp. scale, a brighter solution - GP's and PIAA probably aren't gonna make you happy.

I do like the fact that using a simple bulb solution is, for the most part, error free, no additional modules are needed and heat is not a question.

I've read about problems with LUX kits, one problem with AiBs, a problem with the HID kits, and etc. Obviously, the more components the higher the chance of a failure but for the most part, and solely from my researching and reading here on the forum, LUX, AiB, HID and OSS solutions seem to be pretty good.

My next stop will probably be AiBs although for $550 the OSS solution looks pretty damn solid, unique, bright, etc.

Enjoy the pics

All pics taken with a Nikon D40x, ISO 200, F8, Exposure @ 5/8, Auto White Balance, Tripod used

Pictures:

GP Thunders (front view)

GP Thunders (LEFT) vs. PIAA (RIGHT)

GP Thunders (side view)

PIAA (side view)
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Very useful review.

-You might like the Camaross kit (if he is still making them). You probably know but all it does is maintain full power (instead of dimming) the AEs when the headlights are turned on.

-Also - you just can't expect any appreciable difference in the AE color and brighness equality across the two rings. It is BMWs design of the entire system that caused these things that most of is dislike. Some kits make an attempt to direct more light one way or another but it is still fighting the basic OEM design.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
11' AW M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3

great write up! Definitely confirmed my worry about the piaa's having too much of a yellow hue to them. I few people have told me even the 5800 gp's have the same issue.

Thanks for taking the time to do this
      07-31-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
bavarian06
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

the piaa looks like factory and i have a lurking feelings its not even as bright as factory. good write-up.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

LOL, so glad to see this write-up. I just installed the GP Thunder 8500 in my car, and was sort of nervous when I saw this post. But now I'm relieved to know the GP Thunder is still the better solution (for what it is).

As for installation, its pretty much true what people have wrote, you need some small damn hands to go in the light components and get the GP Thunder in...wow. My little trick: used some wooden chopsticks to aligned the tip of the GP Thunder bulb into the socket.

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

we used to carry PIAA products, but we already dropped them for a good reason... hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
E92, can you talk a little about the City Vision E92 H8 White Angel on your site?

Compared to the GP Thunder and etc. Seems like a different lighting unit all together... Haven't seen anyone on these forums with them.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
58D Scout
United_States
Rep
Drives: OH-58D, OD Green, no doors

Good post. Well written and some of the best comparison photos I've seen.

Why did you go with the GP 7500k vs. the GP 8500k? (I think they look great; just trying to tell the differences.)
      08-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^^^

Scout, I went with the 7500k GP's because they're not purple like the 8500k's. I'm personally looking for an angel eye that's as white as possible, without giving off too much purple/blue hue. The 8500k's, from what I've seen, are way too purple.

I'm still with the GP's for now, want to see some AiB's in person and I might go for those... Although the OSS lights are very tempting...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Gitti_M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 AW/FR

Thank you for your hard work!!! GP's will be my first mod =)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58D Scout View Post
Why did you go with the GP 7500k vs. the GP 8500k? (I think they look great; just trying to tell the differences.)
One of my 8.5K GPs went out with only 3K miles logged in, and replaced them with 7.5s that were given to me by a forum member (thanks again). Didn't do a side-by-side comparison, but didn't notice a difference in color, so it's that close. Mine had absolutely no purple hue. What I can comment is the 8.5Ks look better made (just like a stock bulb), with the 7.5Ks being welded over a base, like a garage job, but didn't have any trouble fitting them. The only question left is if they'll last over 3K miles. I'm sure the original Philips bulbs last longer than 3K miles, but look awful. My guess is GP and all others are using el cheapo overseas bulbs to save money, rather than coating a good bulb, like a Philips. Oh, and the 7.5Ks are also longer, with a pointier tip, but didn't have any trouble fitting them. This time I removed the H3s ground and white wires for complete access. Installed the bulbs with right hand on right headlight (and viceversa) wearing a latex glove, and holding the bulb by the lens with index and middle fingers. They went in at the first try, with zero scraping of the delicate coating (I scratched the 8.5Ks a little). Then reconnected the bulbs and 2 wires for the H3s. Bottom line is both 7.5K and 8.5K look basically the same. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
11' AW M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
One of my 8.5K GPs went out with only 3K miles logged in, and replaced them with 7.5s that were given to me by a forum member (thanks again). Didn't do a side-by-side comparison, but didn't notice a difference in color, so it's that close. Mine had absolutely no purple hue. What I can comment is the 8.5Ks look better made (just like a stock bulb), with the 7.5Ks being welded over a base, like a garage job, but didn't have any trouble fitting them. The only question left is if they'll last over 3K miles. I'm sure the original Philips bulbs last longer than 3K miles, but look awful. My guess is GP and all others are using el cheapo overseas bulbs to save money, rather than coating a good bulb, like a Philips. Oh, and the 7.5Ks are also longer, with a pointier tip, but didn't have any trouble fitting them. This time I removed the H3s ground and white wires for complete access. Installed the bulbs with right hand on right headlight (and viceversa) wearing a latex glove, and holding the bulb by the lens with index and middle fingers. They went in at the first try, with zero scraping of the delicate coating (I scratched the 8.5Ks a little). Then reconnected the bulbs and 2 wires for the H3s. Bottom line is both 7.5K and 8.5K look basically the same. Hope this helps.
Did you get 7500 GP's? I bought 5800, 7500, and 8500 gp's to test. First I bought the 8500, and not only did they not fit well at all, but they were barely visible (and they did have a strong blue hue to them). 5800 and 7500 are really similar (at least the ones I got)... both have similar brightness to oem bulbs, but the 5800s have a much stronger yellow hue to them (almost oem looking)

I settled with the 7500s... not exactly satisfied but it will do for now