BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
SAM3
///M
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 '11

Question 4 resonated or high flow cats????

For the guys with the Gintani exhaust systems, really want your help to decide what to order,
Which Xpipe should I go for, 4 resonated or high flow cats if its going to be mated to a Gintani sport back, what Im looking for is an aggresive sound with some good power gains for a daily driven car, Ive only heard the exhaust on youtube,
So im depending on you guys!
Thanks alot,

Sam
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
If you're more interested in power, go fully catless with 4 resonators

The HFC will quiet it down a bit, but that might be necessary if it's your DD
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
I did quad resonated with sport (with valve option). It is pretty sweet dude! If you're worried about drone, go with the valve option rather than HFC. When I close the valve I get zero drone on the highway.

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 x2

I have the 4 resonators mated to the sport and I'm actually thinking about going to the race mufflers or a custom set up because I want louder. Everybody says I'm nuts because the car sounds amazing now but I guess you never know until you try. You'll probably be happy either way man
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Getting the HFC option with 2 resonators installed Thursday. I'll let you know how it sounds paired with my gintani sport exhaust
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I have turner test pipes waiting to be installed. I have no secondary cats (custom x pipe) and custom resonators where the oem ones were in the rear. If I put the turner test pipes on and put more resonators where the secondary cats used to be, will it be relatively quieter as opposed to running it without resonators or just keeping the rear resonators on? Here is my pic to show:

You can see where I obviously have no secondary cats. Should I put new resonators where the secondary cats used to be?
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Teeopi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
I have turner test pipes waiting to be installed. I have no secondary cats (custom x pipe) and custom resonators where the oem ones were in the rear. If I put the turner test pipes on and put more resonators where the secondary cats used to be, will it be relatively quieter as opposed to running it without resonators or just keeping the rear resonators on? Here is my pic to show:

You can see where I obviously have no secondary cats. Should I put new resonators where the secondary cats used to be?
How does it sound that just cut off the secondary cat?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF_6133 View Post
How does it sound that just cut off the secondary cat?
Sounds a litttlllleeeee bit louder but not much. Definitely has more of a rumble, if that makes sense.
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Teeopi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
Sounds a litttlllleeeee bit louder but not much. Definitely has more of a rumble, if that makes sense.
I was curious about this so I checked youtube, someone did that with aa alxeback on, it made an obvious difference compared to just had the axleback on the car, there's more rumble for sure, but I think it came out pretty good, although it's just a liiiiiiiiiiiile bit louder from ur word..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF_6133 View Post
I was curious about this so I checked youtube, someone did that with aa alxeback on, it made an obvious difference compared to just had the axleback on the car, there's more rumble for sure, but I think it came out pretty good, although it's just a liiiiiiiiiiiile bit louder from ur word..
Haha When I had taken the secondary cats off, I was still on a completely stock exhaust, so the difference was small, but still there. Once I changed it all up as I expressed on a thread here, it was totally different. My closest friends (all car guys) have told me that my M3 sounds like an exotic. IDK what to think about that, but with that kind of motor we got, I'm not too surprised!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
4 resonators!
      11-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
SAM3
///M
Rep

That made things easier! I went for the 4 resonated and sport back, but got to wait for month to get! Does anyone have a link to that setup!

Thank you guys for your feedback!
Sam
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep

I'm on my phone man otherwise I would attach the link but there was a thread that said best sounding M3 and I posted a vid of that exact setup. You'll love it man, I'm always getting complements
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
SAM3
///M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN
I'm on my phone man otherwise I would attach the link but there was a thread that said best sounding M3 and I posted a vid of that exact setup. You'll love it man, I'm always getting complements
Those downshifts sound mean! What about power gains, do u feel the difference ?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep

Thanks man, you'll definitely notice the car feels crisper and pulls harder. You'll find excuses to downshift just so you can hear that awesome sound haha
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #16
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM3 View Post
For the guys with the Gintani exhaust systems, really want your help to decide what to order,
Which Xpipe should I go for, 4 resonated or high flow cats if its going to be mated to a Gintani sport back, what Im looking for is an aggresive sound with some good power gains for a daily driven car, Ive only heard the exhaust on youtube,
Thanks alot,

Sam
Hi Sam as the Aus Distributor I've had both. Valved sport with HFC and now quad resonated. I just loved the HFC but the quad resonated setup is the best exhaust sound I've ever heard, there was a transformation of sound and some power gains, not too much but about 15-20% louder than HFC

This video is set up to accentuate the louder side (windows open and all) but I hope you find it useful. There are lots of other vids of the HFC on my you tube channel. I would HIGHLY recommend the quads, the extra fuel smell is not that bad, no worse than a 100 CPSI HFC (Gintani is 300CPSI) but the sound is so good it just can't be captured on video.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee
Quote:
Thanks alot,

Sam
Hi Sam as the Aus Distributor I've had both. Valved sport with HFC and now quad resonated. I just loved the HFC but the quad resonated setup is the best exhaust sound I've ever heard, there was a transformation of sound and some power gains, not too much but about 15-20% louder than HFC

This video is set up to accentuate the louder side (windows open and all) but I hope you find it useful. There are lots of other vids of the HFC on my you tube channel. I would HIGHLY recommend the quads, the extra fuel smell is not that bad, no worse than a 100 CPSI HFC (Gintani is 300CPSI) but the sound is so good it just can't be captured on video.

Sounds great man!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Gotta love gintani
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
SAM3
///M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee
Quote:
Thanks alot,

Sam

Hi Dave honestly that gave me some reassurance of not getting the HFC xpipe and the video of that setup sounds sick man! And that's only the video! Uve gotten me watching the vid every other hour
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #20
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Dave honestly that gave me some reassurance of not getting the HFC xpipe and the video of that setup sounds sick man! And that's only the video! Uve gotten me watching the vid every other hour
Hahahaha

Wait til it's installed, you will be looking for excuses to take it for a run!
The HFCs are a bit more subdued but still sound good and being 300 cell cats don't have the smell of others, but you have more ground clearance with the resonators and you have a burble sound when you decelerate (you don't get that with cats) The sound is much better with resonators. But seriously, consider the valved option too if you can, it is a zero drone solution for those times you just want quiet coming home late or when you have people in the car that are more sensitive to drone (or when the cops are tailing you). IT's like having the best of both worlds. With valves closed it makes for a very nice daily drive around the city and it still sounds brilliant.

There is not a huge difference between HFC and resonators for drone, in fact sometimes the resonators have less drone with a slightly louder tone.

It is the only system I've every heard that sounds amazing on the outside and inside the cabin. Usually there is a trade off, not with Gintani, after having the 3 major brands on the car this is the only one that I'm 100% satisfied with. You have made a good decision and it's great to get it right the first time around.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
Hawker30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

I have the Sport with Quads. Before I was simply running stock. There is a noticable power gain on the low end and a huge increase in sound all around. I am considering the valves to quiet it down for cruising around town. Overall awesome product.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #22
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker30 View Post
I have the Sport with Quads. Before I was simply running stock. There is a noticable power gain on the low end and a huge increase in sound all around. I am considering the valves to quiet it down for cruising around town. Overall awesome product.
The valves are worth every cent. Mine had an Akra Evo before , and the Gintani Quads have a much quieter sound with valves closed at idle and slightly louder with valves open. Fuel smell was around the same with the quad resonated as the Akra Evo with 100 CPSI HFC. I have a slightly higher power gain than previous set-up and at the track the other day I was pulling away from another M3 with another brand X pipe and rear section, other than that the cars were almost identical, same tune etc.... In my case the results are the best of all tried so far. Whilst sound preferences are subjective I believe this system produces the best sound an M3 can
Appreciate 0