BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

11-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #89
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Okay, I usually stay out of these comparos because it's all about subjective, personal opinion, but this is just way off. A good 0-60 time does not a fun drive make. It is reasonably quick, but the S5 is not tremendously fun to drive like the M3. The S5 does not have more "practical technology" (whatever that means) than the M3, which is loaded with features and gadgets (too many in my opinion).

The M3 was more comfortable to me than the S5, especially the seats, steering wheel, and general ergonomics. And how is the M3 ride "punishing"? It's ride is tight, but compliant. Perfect for daily driving in my opinion.
100% agreed.... Looks like we think alike....

I drove both cars and was impressed by M3.

Wait was not an issue as S5 became avail locally and it again did not do much for me after driving it.

And then the price..... I am able to get an M3 pretty much at cost where I had to pay full MSRP for S5..... It just did not make any sense...
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #90
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: hot wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Okay, I usually stay out of these comparos because it's all about subjective, personal opinion, but this is just way off. A good 0-60 time does not a fun drive make. It is reasonably quick, but the S5 is not tremendously fun to drive like the M3. The S5 does not have more "practical technology" (whatever that means) than the M3, which is loaded with features and gadgets (too many in my opinion).

The M3 was more comfortable to me than the S5, especially the seats, steering wheel, and general ergonomics. And how is the M3 ride "punishing"? It's ride is tight, but compliant. Perfect for daily driving in my opinion.
A. Its faster than a 335 which is supposed to be a 'fun' to drive car. correct me if im wrong.

B. Audi puts more stock into every day driving. I could quote countless examples of this but ill let you get creative and motivated if you want to pursue.

C. the M3 DOES have too much stuff... not all of it is practical as aposed to Audi.

D. Wow... you think the M3 is MORE comfortable than the S5? have you even BEEN in the car??

E. exactly.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #91
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
A. Its faster than a 335 which is supposed to be a 'fun' to drive car. correct me if im wrong.

B. Audi puts more stock into every day driving. I could quote countless examples of this but ill let you get creative and motivated if you want to pursue.

C. the M3 DOES have too much stuff... not all of it is practical as aposed to Audi.

D. Wow... you think the M3 is MORE comfortable than the S5? have you even BEEN in the car??

E. exactly.
A. He just said that the car being faster doesn't make it more fun to drive.

C. How is everything in the Audi practical? What does the BMW have that the Audi doesn't have that makes it 'unpractical.'

E. You completely ignored what he was saying.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #92
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:

E. exactly.
A. I'm not sure it's faster than a 335. In fact, pretty sure I've seen comparos with straight line being a wash and the 335 actually outperforming the S5.

B. Agreed. Performance is important to me though, and the BMW is a better mix of fun and practical (both the 335 and the M3).

C. You don't need all the stuff with the M3. Really, the only superfluous things are EDC and M settings, and to be honest EDC is the feature I use the most. I do prefer Audi controls and interiors generally though to BMW's.

D. Yes I have. This is purely subjective though and not really a strong point for either car.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #93
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Quote:

E. exactly.
What? What your saying is fluff without reason/evidence behind it

Example, we ask you how an A5/S5 is more practical then the m3 and all you say is the m3 has too much stuff? Can you be more specific? If you were getting at the EDC, wouldn't being able to chose 3 settings for your ride be more practical then just one setting?
      11-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #94
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

guys, seriously. you want to act like 12 year olds and ignore a comon fact that BMWs are performance cars and Audi's are luxury cars which build performance variations, then thats fine. but its not my responsibility to go through the Audi website and quote everything it has the M3 doesnt. you want to know, go waste your own time and figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #95
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
guys, seriously. you want to act like 12 year olds and ignore a comon fact that BMWs are performance cars and Audi's are luxury cars which build performance variations, then thats fine. but its not my responsibility to go through the Audi website and quote everything it has the M3 doesnt. you want to know, go waste your own time and figure it out.
I already know pretty much every feature that BMW and Audi offers. Both have a kind of ride quality adjustment (EDC, Magnetic on the Audi), both offer a DCT of some sort, both have a NAV system, etc. etc. They all offer comparable equipment.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 02:35 AM   #96
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Being probably one of the few on here that has actually owned both cars I think I speak up in his defence ..... sort of.

Quote:
Yes the S5 is quicker and by this I mean stock vs stock but it's only slightly quicker in acceleration. Though I have no doubt that for most average drivers the setup in the Audi (Quattro) will provide to be the quicker on a twisty road because to system fills you with added confidence. I can't say it's more fun, because unlike the BMW the car is basically doing most of the work and you a little less connected than in the BMW.

Quote:
This is less so when taking about the standard ranges of both cars, but when you go to the likes of the S/RS vs M models the Audi does go for a more balanced approach to practicality and speed where as BMW go more for all out driving pleasure.

Quote:
He isn't correct in this, look at the S4 vs the M3, it's the most modern Audi and will show the way the future RS models will be like. The S4 is being offered with just about everything you can get in the M3, only the DCT gearbox will offer less setting. But in fairness the S4 is getting the type of reviews worthy of an M model so Lord knows what they will say about the future RS models.

Quote:
I can definitely say without a doubt that the S5 IS more comfortable than the M3 on stock suspension and with the same size of rims (19"). My road is awful and only my EDC equipped with 18" rims is as comfortable as my S5 was with it's standard suspension and 19". On this Audi have made huge leaps forward than previous models.

I think unless you get to drive both on really rough/bumpy surfaces you will never know how good the setup in the S5 is. Maybe the US specced M3s and S5s have a different setup than here in the UK, which again maybe different to Europe.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #97
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:

E. exactly.
I drove a friend's new S5 right before I placed the order for my M3. I agree with you that the ride in the S5 was cushier -- that's not what I was disputing. I was merely stating that I preferred the balance between ride compliance and suspension stiffness that the M3 strikes. I also thought the seats in the M3 were more comfortable, and I liked the M3's cabin ergonomics better as well.

Another point that I tried to make is that being slightly faster than a 335 in a straight does not make a car fun to drive. Personally, I've always loved how easy it is to kick out the rear end and throttle steer BMWs. The S5 handles reasonably well, and like footie says, feels a bit more secure when pushed, but that doesn't make it subjectively more "fun."

In terms of features, the only extra features that the S5 has over the M3 are the adaptive cruise control (waste), rear parking camera (also a waste -- if you can't visually park these cars yourself, you have no business driving in the first place), and Audi Side Assist (ditto).

All this falls under the adage, "Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one," so don't get too worked up about the fact that not everyone agrees with you here.
      11-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #98
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Being probably one of the few on here that has actually owned both cars I think I speak up in his defence ..... sort of.

Yes the S5 is quicker and by this I mean stock vs stock but it's only slightly quicker in acceleration. Though I have no doubt that for most average drivers the setup in the Audi (Quattro) will provide to be the quicker on a twisty road because to system fills you with added confidence. I can't say it's more fun, because unlike the BMW the car is basically doing most of the work and you a little less connected than in the BMW.

This is less so when taking about the standard ranges of both cars, but when you go to the likes of the S/RS vs M models the Audi does go for a more balanced approach to practicality and speed where as BMW go more for all out driving pleasure.

He isn't correct in this, look at the S4 vs the M3, it's the most modern Audi and will show the way the future RS models will be like. The S4 is being offered with just about everything you can get in the M3, only the DCT gearbox will offer less setting. But in fairness the S4 is getting the type of reviews worthy of an M model so Lord knows what they will say about the future RS models.

I can definitely say without a doubt that the S5 IS more comfortable than the M3 on stock suspension and with the same size of rims (19"). My road is awful and only my EDC equipped with 18" rims is as comfortable as my S5 was with it's standard suspension and 19". On this Audi have made huge leaps forward than previous models.

I think unless you get to drive both on really rough/bumpy surfaces you will never know how good the setup in the S5 is. Maybe the US specced M3s and S5s have a different setup than here in the UK, which again maybe different to Europe.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #99
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

another thing I noticed is that all the new audi has the same damn interior layout (exactly the same down to the button). what the hell.

q7=a4/s4=a5/s5=a6/s6. who know, maybe a8/s8 will have the same layout too. Talk about cost cutting and zero personality between different model.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #100
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Some pictures I took of a friend when we had a meet a few months ago...really nice Thought I might share with you guys...

11-14-2008, 11:27 PM   #101
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
another thing I noticed is that all the new audi has the same damn interior layout (exactly the same down to the button). what the hell.

q7=a4/s4=a5/s5=a6/s6. who know, maybe a8/s8 will have the same layout too. Talk about cost cutting and zero personality between different model.
If it aint broke dont fix it.

The S8 has its own interior.. i would know. i own one.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 02:04 AM   #102
RT8_M3
drives a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3/F10 535i/e93 335i

S5's in person look hot! In pics blah....

-2oo3 AW E46 M3
-2o11 SG F10 535i 6MT
-2o12 AW E93 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #103
wuyichao
Private First Class
China
Rep
Drives: C63

lol

u guys are funny

if price isnt an issue, im getting a jet and use your quote "eat you alive" all day long.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #104
wuyichao
Private First Class
China
Rep

btw, a friend of mine just bought an e92 m3 for 6k off msrp .9% finance.
i first ordered an s5 in the early april this year, but i got out off the deal becuase the dealer wouldnt gimme a penny off from its msrp. for its price, i can almost get a m3/c63 for superior performance.

the reason i got my c63 not an m3 is simple, the look, exhaust note, interior and power wise. (just my opinion, u think m3 is better than a c63 in every catagory, its fine with me, im dont care) but i paid 70k for this car.

e92 m3 is a great car. if i could get the same deal as my friend, a fully loaded e92 m3 for 64k with .9% finance rate, then i drive an m3 now.

ps. btw, as you can see, im a new member here. i dont own either e92 or e46 m3, but from a objective point of view, i think e46 m3 looks the best!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 08:51 PM   #105
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

today i test drove a c63, an M3 coupe and an M5. and i can honestly say that the M3 feels slow compared to the other two.

I know its not to much slower, but it FEELS like a whole different class of slower. not a good trait for a 70k car to be completely honest.

I think its is the best designed/best interior/sportiest but it would be hard for me to pull the trigger on a car that doesn't excite me when i drive it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #106
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
today i test drove a c63, an M3 coupe and an M5. and i can honestly say that the M3 feels slow compared to the other two.

I know its not to much slower, but it FEELS like a whole different class of slower. not a good trait for a 70k car to be completely honest.

I think its is the best designed/best interior/sportiest but it would be hard for me to pull the trigger on a car that doesn't excite me when i drive it.
^^watch out, make a mistake and it will kill you in the corner. c63 handles like a boat.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #107
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:

I don't know dude, I get excited everytime I hit the throttle on this car.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #108
wuyichao
Private First Class
China
Rep

Quote:
then you mean 7series is performance car and R8 is a luxury car

lol at yourself please
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #109
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyichao View Post
then you mean 7series is performance car and R8 is a luxury car

lol at yourself please
use. your. brain.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #110
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I don't know dude, I get excited everytime I hit the throttle on this car.
in the back of my mind and while i watch the speedo i KNOW its a quick car, but if you've planted the throttle in a C63 and then again in an M you can just feel the difference.
Appreciate 0