BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #1
KDAWG97M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Guages

Hoping someone can shed some light. I have done some research and getting ready to pull the trigger, I have a e90 M3 supercharged, ess vt2-625 I need guages and want to read the following

EOT
water temps
Intake air temps
Boost
Air fuel ratio

Those are the main ones I am concerned with

I looked at Awron, and they are pricey, but if it works , it works seems I will need a upgrade to achieve the boost, as this isn't sent via OBD

I looked st the P3 guage, but seems they have some issues with piggy back tunes

Anything other guages I should look at? Also what else is needed to do other than plugging in the OBD port and vecolty stack ( awron) to grab this info? Is this data available out of the OBD data? Thanks again

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
Matheus
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Fire Orange

I have the p3 vent gauge in my car.
Works pretty well. It reads air intake temperature, coolant temperature, and some other stuff.
You will be able to read boost as long as you buy it with the analog boost sensor, which is not so expensive.
About the AFR, I use a dedicated gauge to read it. In my case it's an AEM gauge.
I already heard about p3 beeing able to read AFR too, but I'm afraid I don't know if this is truth. Some other user will probably know about this possibility, or maybe you should email them.
I didn't understand about p3 problems with piggyback.
If you don't want to use the OBD port, you can buy all the gauges separatedly.
I think that you will have too many gauges in your car to read that much information. By OBD Port, it will be cheaper, easier and will give you a clean look. You don't want your car looking like fast and furious right?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
KDAWG97M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheus View Post
I have the p3 vent gauge in my car.
Works pretty well. It reads air intake temperature, coolant temperature, and some other stuff.
You will be able to read boost as long as you buy it with the analog boost sensor, which is not so expensive.
About the AFR, I use a dedicated gauge to read it. In my case it's an AEM gauge.
I already heard about p3 beeing able to read AFR too, but I'm afraid I don't know if this is truth. Some other user will probably know about this possibility, or maybe you should email them.
I didn't understand about p3 problems with piggyback.
If you don't want to use the OBD port, you can buy all the gauges separatedly.
I think that you will have too many gauges in your car to read that much information. By OBD Port, it will be cheaper, easier and will give you a clean look. You don't want your car looking like fast and furious right?
thanks, i was told that the guage might not work correctly with the piggy back tune, can i read all of that data via the OBD port, minus the boost? i just want it to be correct
1998 DINAN S3 DAKAR M3
2009 ESS 650 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Where are you guys connecting the MAP sensor for the mechanical vacuum/boost gauges?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
Matheus
Private
Brazil
Rep

You can read a lot of data from OBD Port. Intake temperature, coolant, exhaust gas temperature, throttle plate, speed, rpm with shift light, and some other stuff. At least this is what p3 website is showing.
For AFR and boost, you must upgrade your p3 or get an Awron, or having a dedicated gauge like in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDAWG97M3 View Post
thanks, i was told that the guage might not work correctly with the piggy back tune, can i read all of that data via the OBD port, minus the boost? i just want it to be correct
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
Matheus
Private
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawBoy View Post
Where are you guys connecting the MAP sensor for the mechanical vacuum/boost gauges?
You mean the boost sensor? If so, it's connected to the vacuum line that reaches the BPV. You just have to put a T connection and a hose to the boost sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #7
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You mean the boost sensor? If so, it's connected to the vacuum line that reaches the BPV. You just have to put a T connection and a hose to the boost sensor.
Yes, the boost sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
You can read a lot of data from OBD Port. Intake temperature, coolant, exhaust gas temperature, throttle plate, speed, rpm with shift light, and some other stuff. At least this is what p3 website is showing.
For AFR and boost, you must upgrade your p3 or get an Awron, or having a dedicated gauge like in my case.
The ACM version P3 gauge shows AFR with no modification/upgrade.
      03-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #9
KawBoy
Lieutenant
Rep

I also need to get a place to pick up vacuum (mechanically), so the stock MAP is not an option.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Any pics of where the boost line and tap come out and go in? Been meaning to install one of these.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0