BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

06-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
ConceptE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Steering wheel pulling to right after alignment, please help!!!

Hello M3post -

Not sure if you would be able to pitch in your opinion but I have already searched online as much as I can and I am really desperate at this point.

I purchased the Ground Control Conversion Kit for my 2011 M3 E92:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...ion.php/II=922

After the installation was done, the alignment was next and everything was ran to spec. Here are some details:

Left Front:

Camber: -1.7
Caster: 7.5
Toe: .42

Right Front:

Caster: 7.3
Toe: -.24

Left Rear:

Camber: -1.6
Toe: .06

Right Rear:

Toe: -.09

Thrust Angle: -.01

I get in the car and the steering wheel pulls a sharp right just rolling at 5 mph. I have checked the tire pressure etc to make sure all is good, however the steering wheel continues to fight lower or higher speed to keep going to the right. Before the install and alignment, car was perfectly fine. I have kept the same ZCP wheels and tires no spacers. Only difference now is that the car is lower a bit with new suspension and thats all. The alignment is spot on based on the paperwork, however I am not sure where to even start to look for issues. Anyone ever had this problem???

Would this problem be related to the alignment of the car, or the actual installation itself?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Please post a scan of the alignment printout. Your readings are not "spot on". Your posted rear toe numbers are one wheel toed-in and the other is toed-out. The front wheels have the same problem to get the thrust angle near zero. Notice that they are positive and negative readings. Having the SAI readings might be important with your problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
ConceptE92
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I found this online and this is exactly what mine does except it pulls to the right:

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...oblem-t177585/
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

As Ken noted if you post a scan or a photo of your alignment sheet, a reason maybe apparent. The numbers you posted look all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
Brian0473
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 SSII DCT Coupe

I experienced a similar issue recently and the problem ended up being that the alignment machine had somehow become un-level. I know basically nothing about them but the shop said they found that one corner was "off". They corrected it and realigned me and it was good to go.

My old M3:
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian0473 View Post
I experienced a similar issue recently and the problem ended up being that the alignment machine had somehow become un-level. I know basically nothing about them but the shop said they found that one corner was "off". They corrected it and realigned me and it was good to go.
The alignment lift needs to be level front to back and side to side. If the legs or level stops are moved then you no longer have a flat surface for the vehicle to rest. Older measurement equipment used bubble levels or electronic sensors (like you have in a smart phone) to measure the camber, caster, and SAI angles.
Even the newer digital camera based systems require that the lift be level and square to the cameras for accurate readings.

If the wheel sensors are dropped onto the shop floor the calibration can also be affected.

Side Humor I would sometimes find my students turning the adjustment stops while they were waiting for their oil to drain using the lift. I also had to add bungee cords to the sensors to keep the students from bouncing them off the lab floor. Love those automotive students!
Appreciate 0