BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
MTROUBLE93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 interlagos blue M3

Check engine&transmission problem

Very worried. So today I washed my car and by accident left the ignition on with the engine turned off and the battery died. I jumped it and the check engine light came on and told me reduced emissions. Pulled in the garage and finished buffing it. I figured its one of those strange battery dying issues and it will go off.

Now fast forward an hour.. everything's completely off and the battery dies again. (Alternator?)I left it running after the first time to charge it up. So idk why it died again like that. Jumped it again and I got a new message... "Transmission failure driving is possible, please being to dealer" something along those lines.. BUT the car would not get out of park(DCT)

Let it sit and sure enough it all went away and drives okay. Should I still have it checked out? I'm still under warranty. But if its caused by the battery dying maybe ill save my self the trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROUBLE93 View Post
Very worried. So today I washed my car and by accident left the ignition on with the engine turned off and the battery died. I jumped it and the check engine light came on and told me reduced emissions. Pulled in the garage and finished buffing it. I figured its one of those strange battery dying issues and it will go off.

Now fast forward an hour.. everything's completely off and the battery dies again. (Alternator?)I left it running after the first time to charge it up. So idk why it died again like that. Jumped it again and I got a new message... "Transmission failure driving is possible, please being to dealer" something along those lines.. BUT the car would not get out of park(DCT)

Let it sit and sure enough it all went away and drives okay. Should I still have it checked out? I'm still under warranty. But if its caused by the battery dying maybe ill save my self the trip to the dealer.
Do you have a charger? If so I would leave it on overnight!
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

What year is your M3? Ever have original battery replaced?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
mdefalco25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

His profiles states an 09, however, these are not typical signs of a battery dying. You usually get a heads up well before it just dies completely such as a clock falling behind or an low voltage warning. Personally, it sounds like a fluke battery deal, but I would think having the dealer look at it wouldn't be a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

don't lather yourself in doubt, just head to the dealer and have them confirm with a OBDII reader or something. Get that peace of mind for 1 hr. of your time.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
DreamChaser26
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Garage List
2009 BMW m3  [0.00]
TAKE IT IN !! i had the same problem on my '09. they literally put a whole new DCT transmission in it as well as other problems that were caused because of the transmission failure. but my advice is take it in. and make sure they take a look at it . dont leave with the "we cant find anything wrong with your car" answer
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
doverjxp
Rep
Drives: bmw

it sounds like a fluke battery deal, but I would think having the dealer look at it wouldn't be a bad idea.
      05-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
MTROUBLE93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 interlagos blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChaser26 View Post
TAKE IT IN !! i had the same problem on my '09. they literally put a whole new DCT transmission in it as well as other problems that were caused because of the transmission failure. but my advice is take it in. and make sure they take a look at it . dont leave with the "we cant find anything wrong with your car" answer
You have no idea how many times they gave me that. they say "Well we plugged it in and nothing, so there is nothing we can do about it" They told me that about an engine noise. Even after the mechanic took a drive with me and admitted to hearing it. also with the "tin can" sound they said they did not locate the problem and it all must be "normal m3 sounds" yea normal m3 sounds..smh. ill take it in, give them hell.
Appreciate 0