BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

EXXEL Distributions

06-27-2014, 02:00 AM   #23
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca74 View Post
Quick question. The auto start/stop on my car never seems to kick in. I know that it only kicks in when certain conditions are met, however I am sure it should have happenned by now. I also don't get anything appear on the dash to indicate that it didn't activate either. Is this normal, or is it likely that it is either not working or been coded out?

Thanks
I don't think it can be coded out definitely. There is a coding for the last user state and that's about it. May be your battery charge is below a certain leven hence the stop/start not working. It will be worth charging the battery overnight to see what the result is.
      06-27-2014, 05:00 AM   #24
netgun
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Quick question. The auto start/stop on my car never seems to kick in. I know that it only kicks in when certain conditions are met, however I am sure it should have happenned by now. I also don't get anything appear on the dash to indicate that it didn't activate either. Is this normal, or is it likely that it is either not working or been coded out?

Thanks
Didn't even know E9x M3's did this. I've never seen a coding option for it either. Mine sure doesn't/hasn't ever unless it's a DCT only thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:07 AM   #25
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by netgun View Post
Didn't even know E9x M3's did this. I've never seen a coding option for it either. Mine sure doesn't/hasn't ever unless it's a DCT only thing.
I think 2010 MY onward this feature was made available on M3. Have a look at this:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898054

Last edited by aussiem3; 06-27-2014 at 05:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #26
Macca74
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY11 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I don't think it can be coded out definitely. There is a coding for the last user state and that's about it. May be your battery charge is below a certain leven hence the stop/start not working. It will be worth charging the battery overnight to see what the result is.
Thanks. Will try and track down a charger and give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #27
Macca74
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY11 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I think 2010 MY onward this feature was made available on M3. Have a look at this:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898054
Yep, definitely on mine. I have the button to switch it off - even tried pressing that to see if I had things around the wrong way. Not sure I actually want it operating, it is just bugging me that it doesn't work. Stupid I know.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #28
Dzenko
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition LCI

Quote:
Yep, definitely on mine. I have the button to switch it off - even tried pressing that to see if I had things around the wrong way. Not sure I actually want it operating, it is just bugging me that it doesn't work. Stupid I know.
I hear your pain. It's not so much that you want the car to switch off and then back on but you just want the option to be there and working right?
I had the same problem. I can assure you that you have hit the conditions that trigger it several times by now.
In my case the reason why it didn't work and still doesn't is because I am due to get a new battery.
Mine is a 2010 and i suspect like yours it never had a battery replaced in its life.
When I took it to BMW they diagnosed nothing wrong with the car. They explained to me that during the life of the battery it wears from lets say 100% down to 10%. Because of the way a battery is built with its age and at some point in time it will stop your car from charging it to full 100%. This is because of fair wear and tear of the battery. It will only ever charge it to say 60%. this 60% will let you start up your car, lights and all the other absolutely necessary things. To keep it simple think about auto stop start requiring your car battery to be charged say to minimum 70%, its current condition only lets it charge to 60%. So the car foregoes options like auto stop start to have enough power to satisfy the safety nd running conditions.

I will let you if my one starts working when I buy a new battery. I do hear your frustration...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #29
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzenko View Post
I hear your pain. It's not so much that you want the car to switch off and then back on but you just want the option to be there and working right?
I had the same problem. I can assure you that you have hit the conditions that trigger it several times by now.
In my case the reason why it didn't work and still doesn't is because I am due to get a new battery.
Mine is a 2010 and i suspect like yours it never had a battery replaced in its life.
When I took it to BMW they diagnosed nothing wrong with the car. They explained to me that during the life of the battery it wears from lets say 100% down to 10%. Because of the way a battery is built with its age and at some point in time it will stop your car from charging it to full 100%. This is because of fair wear and tear of the battery. It will only ever charge it to say 60%. this 60% will let you start up your car, lights and all the other absolutely necessary things. To keep it simple think about auto stop start requiring your car battery to be charged say to minimum 70%, its current condition only lets it charge to 60%. So the car foregoes options like auto stop start to have enough power to satisfy the safety nd running conditions.

I will let you if my one starts working when I buy a new battery. I do hear your frustration...
My car is an '07 and doesn't have stop/start but I am still on my original battery. I keep it in optimal condition through regularly charging it. I think it's important to do this to get the maximum out of these batteries given the demand the car electronics place on them. If you're regularly doing short trips (under 20 km) like me then charging is very important.
      06-28-2014, 02:46 AM   #30
netgun
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Thanks. Will try and track down a charger and give it a shot.
If you're interested in buying a charger I have a spare Ctek MXS 5.0 charger that's barely used, it's as new, in the box and all. I later bought one of their much larger units to suit some other applications I have.

These smart chargers both charge and condition your battery. They're completely idiot proof too. You'll notice your car starts with a lot more purpose when you regularly use one of these.
Appreciate 0