BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
OP hasn't logged in for like 2 weeks. I guess I'll contact Girodisc myself and see what happens. A group buy would be really nice.
It looks like there are enough ppl here that are interested in these rotors. Are you going to contact the Girodisc? If not, i will. Let us know
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
It looks like there are enough ppl here that are interested in these rotors. Are you going to contact the Girodisc? If not, i will. Let us know
Left them a message on FB, let's see if they get back. Like I said, I'm still more in the feeler camp. If you for sure want a set, you can take the lead if you want.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Left them a message on FB, let's see if they get back. Like I said, I'm still more in the feeler camp. If you for sure want a set, you can take the lead if you want.
I almost pulled the trigger on RB rotors, but after i saw this thread, i am waiting. My front left rotor has deep grooves from something that got stuck between the rotor and pad, nobody wants to resurface crossdriled rotors so i need replacement ASAP. I dont think i am going to wait for a group buy. It usually takes a long time to get the product even if they decide to go with this.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #26
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I almost pulled the trigger on RB rotors, but after i saw this thread, i am waiting. My front left rotor has deep grooves from something that got stuck between the rotor and pad, nobody wants to resurface crossdriled rotors so i need replacement ASAP. I dont think i am going to wait for a group buy. It usually takes a long time to get the product even if they decide to go with this.
Got a word back from them.
- They'd need someone to send them stock rotors, so they can take measurements
- Need 10 people, with 50% deposit in the beginning to make this happen.

Not sure if there's enough interest to get going?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #27
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

It would be very helpful to know 1) if rear rotors would also be included and 2) the weight savings, if any, compared to the stock rotors.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #28
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
It would be very helpful to know 1) if rear rotors would also be included and 2) the weight savings, if any, compared to the stock rotors.
I'll pass along the message. Will let you guys know.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #29
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Rear rotors are messier to change out because of the rear parking drum.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #30
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think i will order RB rotors today, but if they need stock rotors for measurment, i can send my front rotors to them after replacement.
Let me know. But lets make a list of ppl that are interested first.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

i'm interested in a front set. I suppose we could choose what color hat we want too?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #32
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Rear rotors are messier to change out because of the rear parking drum.

They said rear parking brakes will not be a problem.

Quote:
I think i will order RB rotors today, but if they need stock rotors for measurment, i can send my front rotors to them after replacement.
Let me know. But lets make a list of ppl that are interested first.
Yea I would if I were you. This isn't going to be something that happens over night. I can get you in contact with the guy about the front used brakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #33
VrooM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Hey guys, sorry for not getting back to you any sooner, i was on vacation. So yah, like W/// mentioned, i was told the same thing, 50% initial deposit is required and i was told that they preffered if one of the vendors here took on the group buy, but im not sure if that will be required if we can get the group buy going ourselves. i havent talked to them about the rear rotors but as has been mentioned above, they should be able to make them without any issues since they make units with built in drums for other cars too. the price i was told at around 800 was for the front pair, and replacement rings at 250-300 each for the oem 362x32mm size.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
VrooM3
Private
Rep

i just contacted them on facebook again and asked for someone to join the thread if they can, it will make it a lot easier to co-ordinate the thread and get technical questions answered.

edit

i also was told this regarding the weight of the fronts :

"As far as weight goes its really difficult to say, we could potentially use one of two castings which have a different air gap which can in turn vary the weight by pretty fair amount. Additionally it really depends on how big we're physically able to make the hat based on the caliper and pad size. I would guess you would be looking at around 4-5 lbs. of weight savings compared to the OEM rotor but that is still just a guess"
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VrooM3 View Post
i just contacted them on facebook again and asked for someone to join the thread if they can, it will make it a lot easier to co-ordinate the thread and get technical questions answered.

edit

i also was told this regarding the weight of the fronts :

"As far as weight goes its really difficult to say, we could potentially use one of two castings which have a different air gap which can in turn vary the weight by pretty fair amount. Additionally it really depends on how big we're physically able to make the hat based on the caliper and pad size. I would guess you would be looking at around 4-5 lbs. of weight savings compared to the OEM rotor but that is still just a guess"
That would be one of the biggest reason to switch for me. My rotors are in decent shape now (I think). But if we can save 3-5 lbs, I'd be pretty happy, rather than going back to another set of stocks.

It would be really nice for one of the forum vendors to pick them up. Seems like there's definitely enough interest, especially for people that don't want to drop $6k on BBK's.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #36
VrooM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
i was told by a local shop that they can blanchard grind cross drilled rotors, as long as they arent floating. the machine they were using was a flywheel resurfacing machine. if the group buy doesnt go through ill have to get it done soon on mine and let you guys know how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #37
VrooM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
That would be one of the biggest reason to switch for me. My rotors are in decent shape now (I think). But if we can save 3-5 lbs, I'd be pretty happy, rather than going back to another set of stocks.

It would be really nice for one of the forum vendors to pick them up. Seems like there's definitely enough interest, especially for people that don't want to drop $6k on BBK's.
and from what im reading on forums people are getting noticeably longer life out of them than oem, particularly in high performance applications eg tracking etc, so after one or two sets replaced it should pay for itself. if a vendor picks it up it would make the process smooth and it looks like enough people are interested. they also do contract work so if the vendors want they can slap their own brands on .
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #38
Mrbig
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

RB rotors ? Two piece ? Stock replacement ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #39
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #40
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I would be in for this and could also send in a pair of stock front rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #41
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Are most people interested in fronts only, or full set? I'm a little too OCD to have front slotted rotors, with OEM rear drilled rotors to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #42
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

You guys beat me to it.

I have been speaking with Coleman Racing. They make rotors for Nascar and Prodrive. Basically they are the manufacturers if you will. I have used their custom 2 piece on my STi and E36 m3.

The good thing is that they can give us blanks (no slots, no drills, no drama) which is better for pad wear as well. Secondly, they are heat treated and really can avoid cracks (first hand experience with my STi). Pricing is similar, no need for 10+ orders. If there is interest with even 3-4, we can make it happen. Still need to send rotors in for measurements.

Cost $400 each side. This includes rotor ring (replacement rings in the future is only $150 per side which is also heat treated so less prone to cracking, includes pins to put it to the hats ($15) and the aluminum hat $235.
A lot of BMW CCA Club racing guys run this (this is how I came across them).

http://www.colemanracing.com/

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #43
rantarM3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Are most people interested in fronts only, or full set? I'm a little too OCD to have front slotted rotors, with OEM rear drilled rotors to be honest.
Full set subject to a fair estimate on the F/R weight savings over stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #44
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
You guys beat me to it.

I have been speaking with Coleman Racing. They make rotors for Nascar and Prodrive. Basically they are the manufacturers if you will. I have used their custom 2 piece on my STi and E36 m3.

The good thing is that they can give us blanks (no slots, no drills, no drama) which is better for pad wear as well. Secondly, they are heat treated and really can avoid cracks (first hand experience with my STi). Pricing is similar, no need for 10+ orders. If there is interest with even 3-4, we can make it happen. Still need to send rotors in for measurements.

Cost $400 each side. This includes rotor ring (replacement rings in the future is only $150 per side which is also heat treated so less prone to cracking, includes pins to put it to the hats ($15) and the aluminum hat $235.
A lot of BMW CCA Club racing guys run this (this is how I came across them).

http://www.colemanracing.com/

Lutfy
This would be fantastic...
Appreciate 0