BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

Mporium BMW

09-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

2 for 1 Trackday Deal at ORP, 21 September

Anyone interested in doing the 2 for 1 deal with me? I plan on signing up tomorrow. I've never tracked there before, but apparently it's an awesome course.

https://www.hookedondriving.com/even...September_21st
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3+S62, E92 M3

Great track and great organization to run with! I would split it with you but I have NASA time trials and maybe race that weekend at PIR.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW View Post
Great track and great organization to run with! I would split it with you but I have NASA time trials and maybe race that weekend at PIR.
Damn, thanks for the response anyway! Good luck with the time trials and/or race though!

Anyone else out there?? Come on, track junkies! ORP is somewhat of a drive for us Pacific Raceways/Ridge Motorsports Park folks, but it's apparently an awesome track! Come on out and try something new!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm going. Never been there either should be fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
Vybz
Captain
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: Adidas and Puma

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [8.60]
I would've joined you but I'm tied up with a 3 day drift school in Vegas during that time. Maybe next time though.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Looking forward to seeing you guys.

For anyone who hasn't signed up yet, I still have my coupon for a free drive. I'd prefer to split the cost with someone (or at least get something back), but at this point I'd like to get SOMEONE out on the track since I have the coupon anyway.

If you're interested and a FREE trackday would convince the wife, PM me. Best offers or even offers of ride-alongs for those of you in advanced groups are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep

So what did you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #8
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaung
So what did you think?
Shaun, great seeing you and your wife out there.

I started the day thinking the track was too busy and that I wouldn't ever enjoy it as much as some other local tracks (like the Ridge in particular).

By the final session of the day, though, I was pretty hooked. Once I started getting the hang of it, I was finally able to carry a lot more speed through what I initially viewed as many slow turns between T2 and T8. After that the track became a lot more fun to me. Also, when finally up to speed, that Half Pipe is an incredible section of track.

Any idea what kind of times you were putting down out there?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Shaung
First Lieutenant
Rep

We had 25 cars in my group who were ALL getting slowed down by my lack of knowing the line, lol(sorry guys!). I had 3 different instructors all who helped me learn the line. Martin( I think was his name) from AR helped me the most with getting up to speed. Lift here, no brake, more gas, keep your foot down, etc. Martin was on me to just lift on T5 with no brake and keeping it floored from T5 to T7 and finally how to enter T13( a super tricky turn). I did not run a timer since it was the first time out and I really just wanted to just focus on learning the track. Awesome track, and man, how many bind turns can you have! I was also trying to figure out what the danger was with T16. Martin said to just not hit the curbing. So, I didn't but still was not sure. I really want to get this track down and may join as a member next year.

Last edited by Shaung; 09-23-2014 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaung View Post
We had 25 cars in my group who were ALL getting slowed down by my lack of knowing the line, lol(sorry guys!). I had 3 different instructors all who helped me learn the line. Martin( I think was his name) from AR helped me the most with getting up to speed. Lift here, no brake, more gas, keep your foot down, etc. Martin was on me to just lift on T5 with no brake and keeping it floored from T5 to T7 and finally how to enter T13( a super tricky turn). I did not run a timer since it was the first time out and I really just wanted to just focus on learning the track. Awesome track, and man, how many bind turns can you have! I was also trying to figure out what the danger was with T16. Martin said to just not hit the curbing. So, I didn't but still was not sure. I really want to get this track down and may join as a member next year.

Shaun, I definitely agree that ORP is a very technical track. Keeping it floored from T5 - T7 was something I eventually figured out....but still never had the guts to do by my last session. By the end, though, I was definitely carrying significantly more speed into T8 when I realized the significant uphill grade was helping my car to decelerate and there was plenty of good runoff out there in the event of overcooking it.

As far as T16, the curbing there looked really steep. I never hit it either, but I had a ride-along with an instructor named Shiv; he said it really upsets the car when you hit them, so in his opinion there's nothing to be gained by getting on them.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Never hit the curbs at 16. It will grab your wheel and jerk the steering wheel. 16 is quite dangerous...... totals the must cars on that track. If you go in too fast, track out and drop a wheel, you absolutely have to go straight and off. The problem is people try to fight it and come back on the track. If so the car will hook and back into the wall.
I'm surprised you didn't get a talk about this in you drivers meeting.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 10:42 PM   #12
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

was this clockwise or counter clockwise?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #13
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeBMW
Never hit the curbs at 16. It will grab your wheel and jerk the steering wheel. 16 is quite dangerous...... totals the must cars on that track. If you go in too fast, track out and drop a wheel, you absolutely have to go straight and off. The problem is people try to fight it and come back on the track. If so the car will hook and back into the wall.
Exactly what you described when entering T16 too hot was discussed during the drivers' meeting, but the issue with the curbing was never addressed specifically.

Thanks for the input though; much appreciated. Do you track ORP often?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
was this clockwise or counter clockwise?
We ran clockwise at this event.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
PrimeBMW
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3
Quote:
Exactly what you described when entering T16 too hot was discussed during the drivers' meeting, but the issue with the curbing was never addressed specifically.

Thanks for the input though; much appreciated. Do you track ORP often?
oh I don't know.......I may have tracked there 6 or 8 days. I've done counter clockwise a few times also. Unfortunately I didn't get out there this year.
Appreciate 0