BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

07-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Ctm309
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW Carbon roof DCT '11

SpeedLab Lasre jammer Tester

Anybody have any experience with this thing, is it worth it?

Here: http://www.radarbusters.com/radar-de...mmertester.cfm
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Ideally you want to check your jammer install against the type of laser guns that you'll be encountering. But barring that, this is better than nothing. Generally, I trust radar busters but I have no experience with this product. As a cheap test though, point an IR remote control (like from a TV) at it to check if your jammers work.

You might try searching and/or asking about this over at the radardetector dot net forums.

Cheers.
      07-11-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Ctm309
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 AW Carbon roof DCT '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
Ideally you want to check your jammer install against the type of laser guns that you'll be encountering. But barring that, this is better than nothing. Generally, I trust radar busters but I have no experience with this product. As a cheap test though, point an IR remote control (like from a TV) at it to check if your jammers work.

You might try searching and/or asking about this over at the radardetector dot net forums.

Cheers.
Thanks, I know to do the tv remote but that's a crude receiving test.
I want to know if it is jamming, don't know if this little unit will indicate that. I guess it's a real gun to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctm309 View Post
Thanks, I know to do the tv remote but that's a crude receiving test.
I want to know if it is jamming, don't know if this little unit will indicate that. I guess it's a real gun to be sure.
No, it will not test jamming performance; only that it can detect the laser. But that, of course, is half the job. This is why the ideal is to find someone who has access to the type of lidar gun that they use in your area. Or if you're really good friends with a cop you could ask. Don't forget to buy them a beer or something in return. You may be able to rent one also. Look in the laser jammer FAQ on the radardetctor.net forums, it's under the "Laser Jammers -> General" area. See FAQ #20. Make sure you know how to operate the jammer. This is why asking a cop is a good idea.

Below is a youtube video showing the tester in action.

Cheers.