BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

08-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
FattyK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

M3 vs cayman S

Wat do u all think. M3 DCT vs cayman S tiptronic? I think in terms of speed M3 wins hands down. Wat about overall driving experience? btw, I don't plan to track. thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Cayman S if you don't care about practicality. The Cayman S is more of a pure sports car. If you care more about having the perfectly balanced daily driver & track car.....Pick the M3 DCT. At the end, you just gotta test drive both to find out what suits you best of course.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
tunnie
l33t
Rep
Drives: M3

use

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115030
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

I drove a Cayman S before buying my M3. Since prices were very close and I picked the M3, you can guess what my recommendation will be .

Before driving the Cayman S, I had driven a Boxster 2.5 and a Boxster 2.7. I know the Boxsters and Caymans get rave reviews from magazines (and users), but frankly, I wasn't bowled over by either of these cars. I didn't come out of these cars thinking "I need one". Maybe that's because I had a 2nd generation Miata when I drove the Boxsters, and an Elise when I drove the Cayman S. Compared to the Miata and the Elise, the Porsches were just not that impressive (at least in terms of steering feel, response and balance--power, obsviously, is a different thing).

I like the M3's steering feel and, despite its higher weight, the M3 doesn't feel any less balanced than a Cayman S. And it's more practical.

The main downside of the M3 is fuel consumption. The Porsche clearly wins on that front.

BTW, when you say Tiptronic, I assume you mean PDK?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivendriver View Post
I drove a Cayman S before buying my M3. Since prices were very close and I picked the M3, you can guess what my recommendation will be .

Before driving the Cayman S, I had driven a Boxster 2.5 and a Boxster 2.7. I know the Boxsters and Caymans get rave reviews from magazines (and users), but frankly, I wasn't bowled over by either of these cars. I didn't come out of these cars thinking "I need one". Maybe that's because I had a 2nd generation Miata when I drove the Boxsters, and an Elise when I drove the Cayman S. Compared to the Miata and the Elise, the Porsches were just not that impressive (at least in terms of steering feel, response and balance--power, obsviously, is a different thing).

I like the M3's steering feel and, despite its higher weight, the M3 doesn't feel any less balanced than a Cayman S. And it's more practical.

The main downside of the M3 is fuel consumption. The Porsche clearly wins on that front.

BTW, when you say Tiptronic, I assume you mean PDK?
I use to own two Boxsters but my opinion differs greatly from your own. It's not the kind of car that leave a marked impression on you straight away but improves greatly with time spent behind the wheel. The steering in the Porsche is dramatically different to the M3, as are all the other controls, especially the brakes and as for the balance, well again I have to differ from your own opinion, it feels a lot more neutral than the M3 which just wants to throw the tail at every opportunity which isn't necessarily a bad thing it's just that is always eager to please.

Another thing, the new Cayman S (320hp) with PDK gets remarkably close in acceleration to the M3 and I have a sneaking suspicion that it would be quick on the track (almost any track) than the M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Isn't this like the 4th Cayman vs M3 post recently?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282719

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114810

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115030
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

I will take the m3 over the cayman regardless if i need practicality or not.

a regular porche such as the cayman, boxter, 911 are just like a 3 series to an m3. Huge different IMO. None of them look right until you move up higher to a turbo, gt3/rs, gt2.

there is a saying "the cayman is for those that can't afford a turbo/gt3". It must be there for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

There's also a saying that I heard is BMW is poor man's Porsche? I say go test drive both and decide. People say lots of things and most of them are just meaningless ramblings.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

To the OP: In the end mate - it is what you will relish driving... more than the label and the speeds.
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post

there is a saying "the cayman is for those that can't afford a turbo/gt3". It must be there for a reason.
How about "the Cayman S is for those who want a mid engined canyon carver that is incredibly fun to drive and out handles a rear engined 911, and don't need to show off in a Turbo/GT3 that no one can really drive on the street."
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Probable origin of saying: Jealous 911 owners that hate to see a more affordable P-Car being better balanced and more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #12
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
It's there to placate the ignorant. Do you think Porsche drivers look at our M3's and think "too bad he couldn't afford an M6".

Turbo is sort of a pig by the way, the GT of Porsches.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #13
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
These are a few of the cars from the new Cayman Interstate Race Series, some of the first drivers are coming from 996/7 Cup cars, the CS is great automobile if one's ego is willing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I will take the m3 over the cayman regardless if i need practicality or not.

a regular porche such as the cayman, boxter, 911 are just like a 3 series to an m3. Huge different IMO. None of them look right until you move up higher to a turbo, gt3/rs, gt2.

Do I detect a bit of jealousy? Sure does sound that way, because it's usually the comments I got when I use to drive a Boxster S and those comments were usually from people driving a Mercedes C180 or BMW 316i, clearly those people have progressed up the ladder.

I'm not totally in disagreement with your comments because like everything you do get what you pay for in most cases, but with Porsche it's usually extra performance and not necessarily better handling because the Cayman is probably Porsche's second best handling product after the GT3. Which basically means that if given similar amounts of power it would wipe the floor with an M3, just as is the case with the GT3.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

IMO I would get the M3, it's more of a daily driver, the cayman S is beautiful but I need trunk space and back seats so the M was the way to go, there's no poor man's porsche or bmw, it's just different cars with different approach, but I have to say, as a previous M3 e36, M3 e46 and now M3 e92 my dream car is a GT3, but here is just way too expensive, many people here could afford an M5/M6, cayman S, 911, it's just a matter of what YOU want and just have a blast with, you can never go wrong with what you want buddy, either one you get it's a sports car, enjoy
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

The true sports car enthusiast would know what the Porsche 911 was, is and would always be.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoOrtega View Post
The true sports car enthusiast would know what the Porsche 911 was, is and would always be.
Yeah. It's an old rich man's Cayman S.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #18
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not enough room!!!

flip a coin mate
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #19
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Ahh, you pulled the trigger on the "Yag-u-ar"! Handsome car. I actually prefer the more restrained styling on the base models to the gaping nostril front end of the XFR. Be sure to post pics and impressions.
      08-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
Ahh, you pulled the trigger on the "Yag-u-ar"! Handsome car. I actually prefer the more restrained styling on the base models to the gaping nostril front end of the XFR. Be sure to post pics and impressions.
Congrats Footie. Be sure to post pics when it arrives!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #21
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
Yeah, I've just aged 10 years according to the wife but at least I'm going to get a better tonight's sleep now, since the wife kicked me out to the spare bedroom and I can't hear her snoring.

It Vapour Grey with black leather and ebony wood trim, feels just luxurious and a dramatic change from all German brands that I'm use to. I did do a small write up a while ago when I tested both the 3.0dS and the XFR but it's not till you get to drive a car on roads your familiar with until it really shows it's hand. And in this the XF is probably the most impressive car I've drove in an age, unlike the M3 which you know will handle, the XF rides with an air cushion that though lets the road surface be felt it never threatens to get uncomfortable and a steering that feels light and cushioned but throw it at a road and the bloody thing comes to life. It settles into a corner and never gets thrown by bumps mid-corner, something that marks a sportscar out for greatness, never mind a luxury saloon weighing damn near 2 ton.

Yes it's a dramatic change from the M3 but as the wife has just received a new Mk6 GTi I still have a little car to grab by the scruff and have a hoot in. Delivery should be in Sept so photos will have to wait.

Another reason for the XF over the S4 was the resale, both were the same price when the Audi was specced to the level of the Jag but after one year would be worth £6k less. I don't know about you but I value my hard earned cash and hate throwing it away.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #22
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoOrtega View Post
993 C2S: As good as it gets...
Appreciate 0