BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #45
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3/4 life View Post
Will the price drop? Yes, of course cars depreciate that’s what they do! However, the price drop isn’t going to be a substantial one. I just saw a 2008 E9x M3 with 91,000 miles on the clock and it was still going for $32,000. In fact, many of the E46 M3’s below 75,000 miles are still going for as much as $25,000.

If anything I believe this is going to be a time for people to upgrade, those who are driving the E46 will jump to the E9x those driving the E9x will upgrade to the M4. However, I truly don’t believe many will leave the E9x platform the first two or three years of production of the M4 if they ever choose to leave.

For me personally, I’ve just never been into FI cars, the numbers they put out are downright impressive! Although they will never be as reliable or sound as impressive as the NA, especially a NA V8! I mean think about it, how often do you see an older turbo sports car on the road?

In reality, I’m just as curious and anxious to see the numbers for the new M4 as many of you! However, my anxiety is more about being an M car enthusiast and hoping BMW gets the new M3/M4 right (so far they’ve lost some points on the name change) As well as hoping they can close the gap between the M car & the Porsche, but again I’m an M fanatic!

Nevertheless, I won’t be purchasing the new M4; going turbo has canceled that ambition for me. I’m going to keep my current E9x as long as she will allow me (hopefully another 10 years or so) she’s an 2009 with 21,800 on the clock I average about 4000 miles a year. My next car will be an NA Porsche either the Cayman S or the 911 Carrera S, unless the whole turbo thing blows up in BMW face and they bring out another NA M car by the time I’m looking to upgrade!

Just my 0.2
I'm probably in the minority in terms of the new M4's FI engine. The NA V8 in my E92 is great, but I know it needs more power, much more, to really make me happy. Now, this engine has a 12:1 ratio (making FI pretty risky) and S/C kits that cost $15k in order to put down 600whp or so. The new M4 OTOH, will have a 6cyl engine, which may not be as drool-worthy, or sound as good (although with aftermarket exhausts, almost any tone is possible these days), but it will almost certainly have a lower compression ratio, and be more suited to FI, since it comes that way from the factory. It will also likely make about 450hp stock -- Add in the guaranteed-to-come JB4-style chip and you're talking 525hp at least for a couple hundred bucks. If that isn't enough for you, Gintani or someone else will then release a turbo upgrade kit, but unlike the $15k S/C kits for the E9x M3, its cost will likely fall more in the range of a 335i turbo kit ($4-5000). It has been debated endlessly that 335i's are 'just as fast' or can be made to be similar to M3's with mods. The only good comeback to that was that the 335i 'wasn't an M3' ie. the suspension and other components were not M components, but it was hard to argue that the engine's performance was much better in the M3 comparatively. The M4 represents the 335i all grown up into M clothes. I think you'll be surprised how many of us leave our V8's behind for it. I know I will in about 3 years once it hits its LCI. That and I just really want another free trip to Munich
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #46
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matthew View Post
I do not care.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #47
cannga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 & Porsche 997 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymtime View Post
I was looking for a car for a while, and as soon as I drove a e92 2013 M3 I fell in love with it and bought it. But now I'm worried that I might have made a bad financial decision with the F80/F82 coming out in a year. Are values going to plummet on e90s M3s or do you think they will hold up?
Don't feel bad - your e92 has something very special that future M3 will never have again: a naturally aspirated V8. This engine is an absolute gem and the reason why I recently bought my e93.

No matter what the claim, a turbo engine will never have the linear response of its NA counterpart. My current car is Porsche 911/997 Turbo (M3 is for the wife) and even though I love the tremendous torque down low and the overall power, one weakness is that 997 Turbo doesn't have the natural linear response of its siblings such as 997 GT3 and 997 C2S.

Also, enjoy the song that your V8 engine is making. Turbo exhaust sound will not be remotely as fun as your car, because all turbines/turbos muffle the exhaust sound. This is why Ferrari and Lamborghini have their beautiful sound: all naturally aspirated engines.

Newer 3 series has been reviewed to be not as involved as older 3 series for various reasons: steering, isolation, etc. It's a debate in the past and I am sure it's going to be a debate with next gen M3 vs. current gen. ie. it may be a different, NOT better, car.

And no, price is not going plummet; we worry about this in Porsche forum all the times and it's never true: the price just slides gradually. Plus if you are keeping the car, it's academic what the price does anyway. It's a hobby, and all cars will depreciate, don't worry about it (really).
Bottom line: current M3 is a gem and a long term keeper; a different M3 is not going to change this fact. It is for me and I am quite nutty/picky about cars.

Last edited by cannga; 08-20-2013 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #48
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Terrible video. Almost every vehicle was commented on from the same car. How can you comment on how a Ferrari drives from the seat of another car?!! Stupid
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #49
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Continue to depreciate normally and level off at some point. Not plummet.

E9X M3s would plummet if the new M4 was a better V8.

Don't think there will be as much difference between the E9X 6MT vs DCT than there was with the E46 6MT vs. SMG. The E9X DCT is a preference issue. The E46 SMG was largely viewed as a liability.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #50
M三
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work Monday - Friday

I believe the 2013 M3 with 6 speed manual and ZCP will be more desirable down the road. Last year of the NA V8 engines, old school manual trans should keep the value steady.

As for the M4 affecting the M3's value, we'll have to see the performance specs and its demands. M3 is such an iconic car, I think that's why a lot of people are snatching up the 2013 M3s and hope it will turn into a collector's car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #51
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGrayM3DCT View Post
I believe the 2013 M3 with 6 speed manual and ZCP will be more desirable down the road. Last year of the NA V8 engines, old school manual trans should keep the value steady.

As for the M4 affecting the M3's value, we'll have to see the performance specs and its demands. M3 is such an iconic car, I think that's why a lot of people are snatching up the 2013 M3s and hope it will turn into a collector's car.
^ no ones truly hoping a current M3 is going to become a "collector's car" unless you're using that phrase extremely loosely. It takes decades for cars to become a collector's car. Esp one that holds value very well. Even cars that hold value to the point that they are worth more in dollars than their own msrp once was, are still a money losing cost once CPI inflation is factored in.

I got my '13 coupe because there were NO cars on the market at this price that look this good and have the same qualities and power. RS5 was its only other competition but the only thing it had on the M3 for me was exclusivity and newer body style. To get the same do everything awesome package that an M3 offers, I'd have to go up to an M5 or a 991 of some sort. Far out of my price range at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #52
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

The price will go up in 4 years when those jerkholes at enthusiast auto buy up all the decent ones and charge 10k too much for them. For now you'll take it in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #53
SterlingE55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E55, 2012 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam View Post
I wouldn't say plummet but there will be more inventory. I'm in the market for a M but realize that once the M4s come out, people will want the latest and greatest therefore trading in their M3s. When you have more initial supply, the prices will go down.

Anyways this is what I'm hoping for since I'm shopping for one
Agreed. Hopefully that means I get to keep my E55 as well. Win win. If I'm patient enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #54
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
^ no ones truly hoping a current M3 is going to become a "collector's car" unless you're using that phrase extremely loosely. It takes decades for cars to become a collector's car. Esp one that holds value very well. Even cars that hold value to the point that they are worth more in dollars than their own msrp once was, are still a money losing cost once CPI inflation is factored in.

I got my '13 coupe because there were NO cars on the market at this price that look this good and have the same qualities and power. RS5 was its only other competition but the only thing it had on the M3 for me was exclusivity and newer body style. To get the same do everything awesome package that an M3 offers, I'd have to go up to an M5 or a 991 of some sort. Far out of my price range at the moment.
Yeah I don't see the 13 holding value much better than 11-12 for the e92. The 09-11 E90 will probably hold value about the same too. Pre-LCI cars will probably tank the worst.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
GreenLantern
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

My suspicion, as with most iconic cars that were mass produced (or produced enough that they don't generally appreciate as collectibles do), is that the E92 M3 will experience a dip in value when non-S65 engine obsessed fans dump their M3 in favor of the latest and greatest (F82 M4).

Then, I suspect things will recover, and possibly experience a little bit of an uptick in value given that the supply of affordable high-performance cars with high-revving N/A V8's is dwindling (since everyone's moving towards FI these days, except Ferrari and Lamborghini, which are not exactly marketed as M3 competitors).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #56
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Man, the new M4 is a bit odd to me. The front--- Can't decide if the front looks like a laughing guppy or a pissed off nurse shark. The car's front, rear, and sides seem...... Contrived. The comparison pics show the e92 as more flowing, natural.
And the rear-- yikes.... baby got back and I cannot lie. But--- I don't like big butts.

I want to love M4, really I do. This is about aesthetics. The e92 grew on me, for sure. It looks like it was melted and formed in the wind tunnel. Can't say this about the new one.... Need to see it in the flesh and perhaps time will influence.
But I am glad I snapped up a '13 ZCP 6 speed. I've owned a capable turbo car in the past. Done with that.

When reviewers find it (M4) handles like the M5 the e92 cars will become collectible!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #57
///M3Owner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

my personal view on this, you have an M3..even when the new M4 comes out the e9x m3 will still look modern and gorgeous. Mod your baby up, and drive it until the engine cant go no more. that's what im doing with my M. ENJOY THAT S65 MAN
      08-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #58
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Most of the kids turning 16 this year and beyond won't even know how to drive a stick shift. The stick shift will become a dinosaur like drum brakes. Even the people who track their cars want DCT as you'll never make a money shift with it. Stick shift cars will depreciate faster than DCT since dealers won't give you squat for a 6-speed manual...they can't sell them. DCT is here to stay for a while...Ferrari, Porsche, and even now Mercedes have dual clutches. It's the best of both worlds. A DCT car will always be more valuable than a 6-speed. I've driven stick for 45 years and I'm ready to move on to the latest technologies. How else can I drive, drink my latte, and text if I have to manually shift my car?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 01:48 AM   #59
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

Regardless of the E9x M3's future depreciation, collectible potential, desirable level with the debut of the M4, we all have/had own one of the most iconic cars and one of the best driver's cars in the history of automobiles. In 10, 20+ years from now (those of us who still own it), when our kids, grand kids see the E9x M3 in our garage, they probably will praise it and want to drive it like how we desired to drive our fathers' grandfather's muscle cars. E9x M3, the mark of an awesome era, an era of horsepower wars and high tech driver's assisting features.

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///

Last edited by M3ZCP6MT; 08-21-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #60
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

So awesome! I subscribe to EVO and had to read the article first. I wonder what tires came stock on the CGT. My best friend had one. It was so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
There are enough current M3 owners that will be selling their current car and getting into the new M3/4 that supply should go up pretty sharply in the next couple years. Assuming demand stays constant, that should mean prices will be depressed some.

That said, I honestly think a lot of it depends on the initial reviews of the new car. It will surely outperform the current car in every measurable statistic, but if enough influential car journalists feel like something has been "lost" in the next iteration, the perception may arise that the E9x is a true "end of an era" car, and that may motivate more current owners to hang onto theirs and others to obtain one (this is playing out now with the old/new GT3).

Mine's a keeper.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #61
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
All cars are bad financial decisions. All of the people on the board would've been better off investing or buying property etc. I wouldn't worry about it... drive the shit out of it and have fun.

+1000.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #62
Millie
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a bmw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
You don't buy a BMW expecting it to hold its value, you buy one because you want a driving experience. If you're worried about your V8 M3 losing value then why the hell did you buy one?
Buying a new European car is idiotic with the heavy depreciation hit it receives, if of course you care about that matter. If not, drive on.
2009 SG E92 DCT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #63
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ZCP6MT View Post
Regardless of the E9x M3's future depreciation, collectible potential, desirable level with the debut of the M4, we all have/had own one of the most iconic cars and one of the best driver's cars in the history of automobiles. In 10, 20+ years from now (those of us who still own it), when our kids, grand kids see the E9x M3 in our garage, they probably will praise it and want to drive it like how we desired to drive our fathers' grandfather's muscle cars. E9x M3, the mark of an awesome era, an era of horsepower wars and high tech driver's assisting features.
/thread

Of course, there's no cause for concern with market value of an E9xM3 when one is keeping it.
      08-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #64
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzMe View Post
No mate, price will go up for M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bga23 View Post
E92 values will drop like a rock but E90 are prices are going to skyrocket...
amazing what people believe. lol.

congratulations everyone. evidently we all just MADE money for buying a mass-production car, driving it thousands of miles, and right as a new model is about to be introduced which is receiving a pretty overwhelming positive reaction aesthetically.

back to reality. even if a sell-off doesn't come from enthusiasts, its coming from the non-enthusiasts - who believe it or not, constitute the overwhelming majority of M3 buyers. prices are going down no matter what. the questions is not if, but how much and how quickly. if the m4 reviews are positive, you can expect a pretty notable and quick price drop.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #65
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymtime View Post
I was looking for a car for a while, and as soon as I drove a e92 2013 M3 I fell in love with it and bought it. But now I'm worried that I might have made a bad financial decision with the F80/F82 coming out in a year. Are values going to plummet on e90s M3s or do you think they will hold up?
No its going to skyrocket! The last naturally aspirated BMW ever built...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #66
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
I'm probably in the minority in terms of the new M4's FI engine. The NA V8 in my E92 is great, but I know it needs more power, much more, to really make me happy. Now, this engine has a 12:1 ratio (making FI pretty risky) and S/C kits that cost $15k in order to put down 600whp or so. The new M4 OTOH, will have a 6cyl engine, which may not be as drool-worthy, or sound as good (although with aftermarket exhausts, almost any tone is possible these days), but it will almost certainly have a lower compression ratio, and be more suited to FI, since it comes that way from the factory. It will also likely make about 450hp stock -- Add in the guaranteed-to-come JB4-style chip and you're talking 525hp at least for a couple hundred bucks. If that isn't enough for you, Gintani or someone else will then release a turbo upgrade kit, but unlike the $15k S/C kits for the E9x M3, its cost will likely fall more in the range of a 335i turbo kit ($4-5000). It has been debated endlessly that 335i's are 'just as fast' or can be made to be similar to M3's with mods. The only good comeback to that was that the 335i 'wasn't an M3' ie. the suspension and other components were not M components, but it was hard to argue that the engine's performance was much better in the M3 comparatively. The M4 represents the 335i all grown up into M clothes. I think you'll be surprised how many of us leave our V8's behind for it. I know I will in about 3 years once it hits its LCI. That and I just really want another free trip to Munich
I agree that people will make the jump to the new m4, but not because of its mod friendly ways. most people do not and are not going to touch the M4`s engine. its going to be more of wanting the newest and baddest thing. although of course thats just most people, some will mod it.
Appreciate 0