BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 covertible

e93 m3 conv & Megan Exhaust Incompatible??

I almost launched a purchased of the megan exhaust until I found out it is not compatible with the e93 convertible m3?

I have been trying to search threads on this topic but to no avail. has anyone purchased the megan exhaust for their convertible m3?

If so, what type of modifications, if extensive, have been done? price?

Is it worth doing?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

found the thread.. would it be safe to remove the support bracket or elbow connector to install this?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Would you mind posting the thread, I am considering the same thing. Is this something a shop needs to do?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
thugmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Vert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abitrandom
I almost launched a purchased of the megan exhaust until I found out it is not compatible with the e93 convertible m3?

I have been trying to search threads on this topic but to no avail. has anyone purchased the megan exhaust for their convertible m3?

If so, what type of modifications, if extensive, have been done? price?

Is it worth doing?
I had the same problem with my bastuck exhaust. I put a thick washer on the middle section of the support brace to clear the left exhaust pipe. Worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

I had an Agency Power on my E93, which should be the same exhaust as the Megan brand. Overall, I loved the sound of the exhaust, but my wife thought it was too loud, so I switched to the OEM mod.

You can mount this exhaust, but as the OEM exhaust has a "channel" formed to accommodate the rear projecting part of the brace, modification to the brace is required.

For my install, we cut the portion of the brace that would interfere and painted the cut end to prevent rust. The brace needs to be re-mounted to secure the other bracing under the car. I noticed no change in handling, as the rear brace is more likely there for rear crash absorption.

I bough a new brace (about $90.00) when I reverted back to OEM. I still have my modified brace, so if anyone wishes to go this route, just let me know and perhaps we can work something out and save you the effort to cut the brace and then buying a replacement, if you ever want to go back to stock. Use my cut brace, keep your original one on hand.

I was not really concerned with the cut brace on the car and know that others have done it. I figured that since I was going back to stock, I might as well put one back on.

Hope that this helps!
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
abitrandom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
I had an Agency Power on my E93, which should be the same exhaust as the Megan brand. Overall, I loved the sound of the exhaust, but my wife thought it was too loud, so I switched to the OEM mod.

You can mount this exhaust, but as the OEM exhaust has a "channel" formed to accommodate the rear projecting part of the brace, modification to the brace is required.

For my install, we cut the portion of the brace that would interfere and painted the cut end to prevent rust. The brace needs to be re-mounted to secure the other bracing under the car. I noticed no change in handling, as the rear brace is more likely there for rear crash absorption.

I bough a new brace (about $90.00) when I reverted back to OEM. I still have my modified brace, so if anyone wishes to go this route, just let me know and perhaps we can work something out and save you the effort to cut the brace and then buying a replacement, if you ever want to go back to stock. Use my cut brace, keep your original one on hand.

I was not really concerned with the cut brace on the car and know that others have done it. I figured that since I was going back to stock, I might as well put one back on.

Hope that this helps!
Thanks for the response. My mechanic installed it using the above method of cutting that back brace.. No change in handling-and I am very much content with the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

I'm too afraid of cutting any of the braces, so I went with the OEM mod. Now if it would only get here already...
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #8
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3amigos
I'm too afraid of cutting any of the braces, so I went with the OEM mod. Now if it would only get here already...
I don't like cutting braces either, but as mentioned above it only helps with crash absorption. I just used washers and lowered it a bit with some dried high temp silicon bits I made to make sure the exhaust would tap on it. A little info in case you ever want to change to a louder set up