BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

03-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #23
E36_325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 325i + '06 M3

Yea I'd try and take a stick out and see if it runs without a BSOD. If it does then use process of elimination with the sticks. If you go to Crucial.com and run their config checker it will scan your PC and tell you exactly how your memory is configured.

Replacing memory is cheap, this is also your chance to max it out w/ RAM if you arent already maxed.

Good Luck!
      03-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #24
E36_325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 325i + '06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJ335 View Post
What is Hyper-V and where can I find it? I researched further and some said they uninstalled this "Hyper-V" and it stopped crashing..
Hyper V is a server virtualization platform. Highly doubt this is installed on your PC as it only comes in Windows 2008 Servers.
      03-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #25
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
If you learn your way around a Windows based PC, you'll get far more out of it than you would ever get out of a Mac
not true
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #26
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
THE SCREEN OF DEATH!! Fuck, I hate it so much..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #27
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrockNJ View Post
fix it by buying a Mac..../
Yeah! Then, instead of doing memtest and figuring out EXACTLY what the problem was for free, he could've driven to the nearest Mac store, given it to those oh-so-competent Mac Geniuses at the Genius Bar (but only after he made a registration hours/a day before-hand and then given them his full username/password) who'd take the computer, test it over a day or so, and then tell him to shell out exorbitant amounts of money for Apple-branded RAM (which is really regular RAM bought from another company with an Apple logo smacked onto it).

That's simple computing, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #28
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Yeah! Then, instead of doing memtest and figuring out EXACTLY what the problem was for free, he could've driven to the nearest Mac store, given it to those oh-so-competent Mac Geniuses at the Genius Bar (but only after he made a registration hours/a day before-hand and then given them his full username/password) who'd take the computer, test it over a day or so, and then tell him to shell out exorbitant amounts of money for Apple-branded RAM (which is really regular RAM bought from another company with an Apple logo smacked onto it).

That's simple computing, right?
Well he wouldn't be taking a PC to the Apple Store, but if he did have a Mac he wouldn't have to anyhow. He could download and run memtest, in much the same way as he would have on his PC.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Testing_RAM

then he could go here:

http://www.newegg.com/store/SubCateg...ame=Mac-Memory

and order more memory, again, in the same manner as he would for his PC. I agree that the suggestion to replace a PC with a probable bad DIMM with a Mac when only the DIMM needs replacing is daft, but you're making a bad comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #29
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I think it's the HDD. I had that happen to me a few years back. It turned out to be a faulty hdd. I can almost guarantee that it's still gonna be there even if you replaced the ram, reformat, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #30
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I say try the taking the RAM out like suggested above..
if it doesn't work, you need a new hard drive

had the same problem.. there was a bad sector and every time it would read over it, boom.. crash
      03-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #31
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

just go to safe mode and the reinstall/update the RAM drivers and you'll be good to go
________
Crown victoria skyliner
________
Sexy girls
________
MAGIC FLIGHT
________
Wendie 99

Last edited by OverDrive; 04-14-2011 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #32
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
not true
I beg to differ, but if we dig too far into this subject, we'll be covering subjective views and semantics eventually. Truth is, there are some things a Mac does better, but many things a PC does better, and then you've got the issue of price....

Let's just say you don't seem to be the typical Mac user, nor do you seem to be their target demographic. There is a small contingent of computer operators and certain industries that do benefit from the abilities of a Mac over a PC, but they are overwhelmingly pitched at people who don't want to deal with this type of issue, and if confronted with it on their Mac, would take it to the Mac store.

I'm not going to turn this into a Mac vs PC debate, but I do stand behind my original statement. There's really nothing "wrong" with Macs. If people want to overpay for piece of mind and/or don't care to figure their way around computer issues, that is THEIR prerogative. Their money talks and if they believe they made the right decision, that's all that matters in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #33
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeclueless View Post
sounds like you need a new harddrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
+1, the reformatting doesn't help, and you could've done that yourself for free.
That, unless you recently added new hardware, even if it's via USB.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #34
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 SparkLiN G. 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
UPDATE: So yesterday after my last post, when I came home, I went to system properties, device manager, and tried updating ever driver that I have. And looks like the monitor hasn't been updated, and my network adapter !!! This morning, I turned on my computer.. for the first 20 min.. no blue screen (I'm assuming the network adapter might've been the problem). But when I started writing here about how my comp didn't crash on me after months.. it happened again.

But this time, it wasn't the MEMORY MANAGEMENT nor the IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_UNEQUAL. It's telling me to check if I have adequate disk space?? I formatted my comp like a week ago so I have around 320 gig free out of 500.. I have an external hard drive connected most of the time and that one has 1 gig free of 300.. and it's telling me to update hard drive hardware if possible (I don't know where) and try changing video adapters...?! Hmm..

When I turn on my comp the first thing in the morning, it makes a weird, quite loud fan noise for like 5 min.. and eventually dies down. Does that have to do with anything...?

|BL|RS|PIAA|CFE|CFMC|SSM|CFG|CFDP|ABG|M6|AFE|MTECH |RPI|JB+|CSLT|KWSC|
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #35
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

It could be that your CPU is overheating. If it overheats it's gonna cause some weird ass problems. Try putting on some thermal paste and see if the problem is still there. If it is, it's without a doubt the hdd.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #36
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
It could be that your CPU is overheating. If it overheats it's gonna cause some weird ass problems. Try putting on some thermal paste and see if the problem is still there. If it is, it's without a doubt the hdd.
Thermal paste? Where do I buy that and where do I apply the paste?

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #37
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrockNJ View Post
fix it by buying a Mac..../
+1

also try a hammer.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #38
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thermal paste? Where do I buy that and where do I apply the paste?
If it's your desktop then it's pretty easy. You take off the fan/heat sink which would reveal the CPU. That's where you put the thermal paste on (just enough to cover the CPU). The same thing goes for a laptop but the laptop would take more time to open up (you can look up the diagram on how to open yours up). Sometimes the thermal paste would harden if it's old so you might have to scrape it off before putting the new paste on. The paste can be bought at most, if not all local electronics stores.

If you want you could buy a new hdd and try it out. If it doesn't work then just format the hdd and return it. Maybe try that first instead of the thermal paste because if you fuck up the CPU, it's game over.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #39
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

1GB free of 300??? Uhh.... Not sure that could cause your issue, but you shouldn't really pack an HDD that full. If you run your computer without the external HD attached, do you still get the BSOD?

Did you try running memtest on individual sticks?

I've seen power supplies start failing and throw out some wacky stuff. If you're worried about your CPU temp, you can monitor that. You can even set an alarm in the BIOS for most mobos I believe to take action when the CPU reaches a certain temp. I'd suggest that before trying to apply thermal paste, which should be avoided if unnecessary if you aren't comfortable doing something like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #40
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
Sometimes the thermal paste would harden if it's old so you might have to scrape it off before putting the new paste on. The paste can be bought at most, if not all local electronics stores.
I would recommend getting the remover for thermal paste if you are going to reapply. I cleans it up pretty quick and thoroughly. Some people even go as far as lapping their CPU surface in order to get it to most effectively transfer heat. Make sure you apply the paste in a very thin coat, but make sure you cover the entire surface of it too. There are plenty of pics and "how-to" threads and articles on the web for this. If you can, try to get Arctic Silver. If not, that's cool too. Doesn't sound like you're OC'ing or anything like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #41
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #42
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Stop A is almost always RAM related. Since it seems to happen more when it's cold in the morning, you *MIGHT* get away with just popping and re-seating each RAM chip.

Press the ejectors on each side of the chip, pull it out, then CAREFULLY press it back in place and listen for the ejectors to snap back into place.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #43
mJ335
Amateur Post Whore
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
1GB free of 300??? Uhh.... Not sure that could cause your issue, but you shouldn't really pack an HDD that full. If you run your computer without the external HD attached, do you still get the BSOD?

Did you try running memtest on individual sticks?

I've seen power supplies start failing and throw out some wacky stuff. If you're worried about your CPU temp, you can monitor that. You can even set an alarm in the BIOS for most mobos I believe to take action when the CPU reaches a certain temp. I'd suggest that before trying to apply thermal paste, which should be avoided if unnecessary if you aren't comfortable doing something like that.
I will try taking the external hard drive off and booting it tomorrow morning and check to see if the blue screen comes out.. if it still does, I'll try the RAM idea first, then the thermal paste. by the way!

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #44
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

Quote:
UPDATE: So yesterday after my last post, when I came home, I went to system properties, device manager, and tried updating ever driver that I have. And looks like the monitor hasn't been updated, and my network adapter !!! This morning, I turned on my computer.. for the first 20 min.. no blue screen (I'm assuming the network adapter might've been the problem). But when I started writing here about how my comp didn't crash on me after months.. it happened again.

But this time, it wasn't the MEMORY MANAGEMENT nor the IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_UNEQUAL. It's telling me to check if I have adequate disk space?? I formatted my comp like a week ago so I have around 320 gig free out of 500.. I have an external hard drive connected most of the time and that one has 1 gig free of 300.. and it's telling me to update hard drive hardware if possible (I don't know where) and try changing video adapters...?! Hmm..

When I turn on my comp the first thing in the morning, it makes a weird, quite loud fan noise for like 5 min.. and eventually dies down. Does that have to do with anything...?
Yep, that's the exact same problem that I had when I used to get the BSOD.
________
HOT BOX VAPE
________
PORTABLE VAPORIZER
________
Dodge Diplomat Specifications
________
ASIAN RECIPES

Last edited by OverDrive; 04-14-2011 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 0