BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

07-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
SpinneyM
Rep
Drives: x6 5.0 x drive

e92 upgraded sound

I have been working on a few different e92's to make a purchase. can anyone tell me if the upgraded sound is a make or break on the purchase i really wanted a fully loaded car but it has been a tough find in my budget and clean carfax etc. can i upgrade the car to the upgraded system easily?? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
badbeef
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 pedals

I thought the enhanced premium sound was significantly better. I went to a dealership and listened to them back to back. I didn't find that eps affected the price of the car... mileage, condition, year, and zcp did. If you find a nice car at a good price without eps I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. You can always get a kit from bavsound later. After having the car for awhile I found myself turning down the music when accelerating anyway.. the V8 makes the best music. But for long highway trips a good stereo is really nice.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Not make or break. I like the EPS but it does seem to need a lot of re-EQing for different volume levels. Oh well, that's car audio for ya. With a cleanly mixed recording and the right EQ it can sound pretty damn nice. Honestly if the car is really clean and has the right colors and tranny for you it will be great. I do like having the Nav screen for accessing settings easily via I-drive. ZCP is a plus if you like the wheels.

Things like heated power seats and a sunroof a lot of guys can do without... it's a driver's car and feeling you get while driving it is what matters. That said, the M Perf Exhaust add-on or other quality axle-back is a something that really adds to the fun of the V8.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

EPS is much better once you figure out the settings. It's not a huge deal, though.

I ended up giving up heated seats because I could not find a car that met all my other specifications, while having heated seats WITHOUT the rest of the cold weather package (stupid, useless, ugly headlight washer zits).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
AlpineV8
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
EPS is much better once you figure out the settings. It's not a huge deal, though.

I ended up giving up heated seats because I could not find a car that met all my other specifications, while having heated seats WITHOUT the rest of the cold weather package (stupid, useless, ugly headlight washer zits).
This kinda made me chuckle a bit. My old M3 had the cold weather package. Useless is right. Not to mention I always forgot about it when I hit the washers for the windshield at night with the lights on. Damn near a full bath for the rig lol.

As to the OP's question, I can certainly vouch for the EPS. My 08 didn't have it but my current M3 does and it sounds leaps and bounds better. I don't know if it's necessarily a deal breaker but it is an improvement.
      07-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineV8 View Post
This kinda made me chuckle a bit. My old M3 had the cold weather package. Useless is right. Not to mention I always forgot about it when I hit the washers for the windshield at night with the lights on. Damn near a full bath for the rig lol.

As to the OP's question, I can certainly vouch for the EPS. My 08 didn't have it but my current M3 does and it sounds leaps and bounds better. I don't know if it's necessarily a deal breaker but it is an improvement.
That's the worst part, that they apparently pressurize all their washer nozzles to strip flesh from bone, because more of that shit gets on the roof and bonnet than on the windshield and headlights.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I thought all M3's had the EPS until I after I bought my car and realized I didn't have the shiny silver speakers. I have the standard, but even with the top down I can listen to the music pretty well. Much better than when I used to have the s2000 and couldn't hear a thing with the top down.

Does anyone know if the standard speakers on M3 is the same as standard on 335's? I swear it sounds better in my M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
rgoose18
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi RS 4

Not overly impressed with the EPS, it was a deal breaker for me, but in actuality I was limiting myself more than I should have
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:06 AM   #9
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep

If you like great sound, EPs is top of the line components. It uses 825w Lear amp and Eton component hexacone kevlar speakers which are ridiculously clear. I amped seperatly my under seat woofers and that is a must as it made it into the best system I've ever heard. I ended up adding different under seat sibs but just getting a 300 dollar amp, a PNP technic harness and no cutting wires. You add richer, deeper base to an otherwise tremendous system. Those who don't like it are usually basing it off lack of low end bass. But that's an easy cheap fix. The Dirac processing, top of line speakers and the placement of them all us quite amazing. With amping woofers, it brings out mid bass nicely and that's a must
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:10 AM   #10
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoe92m3 View Post
If you like great sound, EPs is top of the line components. It uses 825w Lear amp and Eton component hexacone kevlar speakers which are ridiculously clear. I amped seperatly my under seat woofers and that is a must as it made it into the best system I've ever heard. I ended up adding different under seat sibs but just getting a 300 dollar amp, a PNP technic harness and no cutting wires. You add richer, deeper base to an otherwise tremendous system. Those who don't like it are usually basing it off lack of low end bass. But that's an easy cheap fix. The Dirac processing, top of line speakers and the placement of them all us quite amazing. With amping woofers, it brings out mid bass nicely and that's a must
Which woofers and amp did you use? I'm interested in doing this myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #11
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I second Wicked's question.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
I went with MBQuarts as my upgrade, here is the link to my build. I will have to update it as I have installed the 3sixty and Amps.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898303
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
I went with MBQuarts as my upgrade, here is the link to my build. I will have to update it as I have installed the 3sixty and Amps.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898303
This kit looks very nice, do you know if they would sell just the amp and the subwoofers? I really like the eps mids and highs, just the low end lacks a bit.

Thank you for sharing by the way, It's greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
This kit looks very nice, do you know if they would sell just the amp and the subwoofers? I really like the eps mids and highs, just the low end lacks a bit.

Thank you for sharing by the way, It's greatly appreciated.
contact them, doesnt hurt to try
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
krzykk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like a sissy

It was a deal-breaker (kind of) for me. Much rewarding after 6+ months search. Glad I got it.
      08-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #16
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
I love the EPS as well except for the low end Bass. Which amp and under seat subs should I look into?
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0