BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Consensus on air intakes for 2010+ models

I've read quite a few old threads on the topic of air intakes, but they always seem to boil down to pissing contests and arguments over warranty, and creative interpretations of the Magnuson-Moss act.

From my prior reading and the dynos I've been able to find, it seems the majority of the gain comes from the filter. So with MS products, for example, a drop on filter advertises 6-7HP, with the full intake adding about 10. A number of people have also noted that after 2010, the M3 comes with the much less restrictive euro air filter, so the gains would be smaller still. Furthermore, most of the gains occur at high RPMs/high speeds.

So putting warranty and brand preferences aside, would it be fair to say that a complete intake kit with filter, scoops and arm for a newer model M3 will give roughly/no more than about 5 extra horse power at the upper rev band, or about $100/1HP?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

just drop in a filter
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
just drop in a filter
Is there a point to a drop-in filter for a 2010+ vehicle? You got decent gains over the old charcoal ones, but what about the new ones? You'd be getting 1-2 HP?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

I think the filter/intake game offers less HP on the 2010+ cars as you have stated. But the filter/intake game does offer a nice sound and look. The question is how much will you spend for little to no HP gain, some sound, and a nice look? Answer that and you can close this thread .....................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Koldun
Banned
Rep

The looks aren't particularly relevant to me, since I don't really care what my engine bay looks like as long as it's clean. The MS intake does look nice, and the Dinan cf is even better, but meh. If anything, avoiding such a blatant engine bay mod could keep the more anal retentive dealerships off my case (Phil, how uptight is Momentum SW about mods on M3s? I'm guessing not very?).

So that leaves "little to no gains" and "sound". The former is certainly disappointing, and the value of the latter remains to be seen. I'll determine if I still want more noise after the test pipes and exhaust get installed in a couple of weeks.

Back to performance though, I've seen it stated many times that bolt-on performance mods don't provide linear additions to power and can't be simply added up. That implies that there is potential for some synergistic effects between themselves. So would a car with a free-flowing exhaust/no cats gain more from increased air intake than a stock car?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
advans
Advansolosis
Rep
Drives: ///M+////AMG

I've ran a MS Drop in when my 2011 was new, then I went for a aFe Stage 2 replacement, gain was minimal, but it sounds amazing. THEN I replaced my aFe Stage 2 for the Stage 3 full replacement, I feel that the car breathes better, the sound is amazing, and by foot I do feel a difference, esp when mixed with an exhaust.

2011 E90 M3, ESS VT2-650, 2015 GL550
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
So would a car with a free-flowing exhaust/no cats gain more from increased air intake than a stock car?
Without all the scientific data someone will try to post, I would say yes. Removing the cats means removing restricted flow so more air should equal more flow...............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
The looks aren't particularly relevant to me, since I don't really care what my engine bay looks like as long as it's clean. The MS intake does look nice, and the Dinan cf is even better, but meh. If anything, avoiding such a blatant engine bay mod could keep the more anal retentive dealerships off my case (Phil, how uptight is Momentum SW about mods on M3s? I'm guessing not very?).

So that leaves "little to no gains" and "sound". The former is certainly disappointing, and the value of the latter remains to be seen. I'll determine if I still want more noise after the test pipes and exhaust get installed in a couple of weeks.

Back to performance though, I've seen it stated many times that bolt-on performance mods don't provide linear additions to power and can't be simply added up. That implies that there is potential for some synergistic effects between themselves. So would a car with a free-flowing exhaust/no cats gain more from increased air intake than a stock car?
Depending on which muffler you go with, I'm not even sure you'll be able to hear induction noise anymore as the exhaust will drown everything out. Personally, I see no point in doing anything more than drop in filter. I'd rather spend my mod money elsewhere.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Drop in filter (or euro filter), or dinan intake. There is no substitute for either.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

I'd say it looks right at home:

OP: you won't be disappointed.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Depending on which muffler you go with, I'm not even sure you'll be able to hear induction noise anymore as the exhaust will drown everything out. Personally, I see no point in doing anything more than drop in filter. I'd rather spend my mod money elsewhere.
Good point. I'm going with the MS track pipes + Megan exhaust combo.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Personally the Green AA filter gave me just enough sound difference so as I could hear it and thats all on my 12. Knowing what I know now I would have left it be because it has no seat of the pants (knew that going in) and I hardly gained any induction sound (my actual goal) making it rather underwhelming for me. It should be said the filter appears to be a quality product in every respect so at least that part is there.
Appreciate 0