BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
When I load cds onto my ipod gen5, I tell itunes to load the music onto my ipod using lossless format. In my no i-drive M3, music quality is very good and sounds, to my older ears, anyway, very similar, if not almost equal to, the cd from whence the music came. In some cases, especially where the cd was more recently recorded, I can tell that the speakers in my car are distinguishing between musical instruments & voices, e.g., voices left speaker, drums right speaker. I believe this is all possible because I've recorded music on my ipod using the Apple lossless format.
I would also add that the ipod gen 5 contains a chipset which, according to some reviewers, recreates better sound than the more recently produced ipods.
If you are using the Apple Lossless Codec, I have no doubt that the sound will be good coming from the 30 pin connection. However, there is some debate as to wether the y-cable provided actually uses the 30 pin for audio, or just for control of the ipod. If the 30 pin was actually outputting sound, the 3.5 mini jack would not be needed. Therefore, regardless of the quality of files on the iPod, you are limited by the analog output quality of a mini-jack connection.

On Newer M3'S 2011.75, they only require the USB connection from the ipod for sound and control. This would provide the full audio quality of the files on the ipod.

Again, I could be wrong, but after tests I have done, these are my conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #24
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

I have a new coupe with February 2011 build date, no combox. I connect my iPhone 4 through the USB port in the center console. That is the only connection to the car. The iDrive controls the phone and sound quality is very good. I do hear a ticking sound from time to time that is somewhat annoying, and it only happens with iPhone music, HD radio and CD's do not tick. Sounds like sand hitting the windshield on the highway, which is what I thought it was at first. Only about 15% of the album cover art is displayed on the iDrive screen. Not sure why. Any ideas? How do I tell iTunes to transfer the music to the phone using a lossless codec? Thanks.
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
If you are using the Apple Lossless Codec, I have no doubt that the sound will be good coming from the 30 pin connection. However, there is some debate as to wether the y-cable provided actually uses the 30 pin for audio, or just for control of the ipod. If the 30 pin was actually outputting sound, the 3.5 mini jack would not be needed. Therefore, regardless of the quality of files on the iPod, you are limited by the analog output quality of a mini-jack connection.

On Newer M3'S 2011.75, they only require the USB connection from the ipod for sound and control. This would provide the full audio quality of the files on the ipod.

Again, I could be wrong, but after tests I have done, these are my conclusions.
I only use the Apple Dock Connector to USB cable for both downloading from my computer and car hook-up. I don't know what you mean by 30 pin connection. I don't use a Y connection. I don't use a 3.5 mini jack anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #26
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
I only use the Apple Dock Connector to USB cable for both downloading from my computer and car hook-up. I don't know what you mean by 30 pin connection. I don't use a Y connection. I don't use a 3.5 mini jack anywhere.
The 30-Pin Connection is the dock connection. What year is your car? If it is newer it is possible that you are getting audio and control over the 30-pin to usb cable. On older M3's, you have to use the Ipod Interface cable (Y-cable)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #27
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanmike View Post
The 30-Pin Connection is the dock connection. What year is your car? If it is newer it is possible that you are getting audio and control over the 30-pin to usb cable. On older M3's, you have to use the Ipod Interface cable (Y-cable)
2011 no i-drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #28
drjoe66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 & 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
I have a new coupe with February 2011 build date, no combox. I connect my iPhone 4 through the USB port in the center console. That is the only connection to the car. The iDrive controls the phone and sound quality is very good. I do hear a ticking sound from time to time that is somewhat annoying, and it only happens with iPhone music, HD radio and CD's do not tick. Sounds like sand hitting the windshield on the highway, which is what I thought it was at first. Only about 15% of the album cover art is displayed on the iDrive screen. Not sure why. Any ideas? How do I tell iTunes to transfer the music to the phone using a lossless codec? Thanks.
I have this "ticking", too. It is not reproducible, i.e., sometimes a song ticks and then the next day it doesn't Happens both with the cable and bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #29
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66 View Post
I have this "ticking", too. It is not reproducible, i.e., sometimes a song ticks and then the next day it doesn't Happens both with the cable and bluetooth.
I assumed it was in the song itself. I found the lossless codec setting in iTunes. I will give that a try to see if it resolves the ticking. I haven't tried bluetooth yet. That's wierd that it is intermittent. Mine is probably intermittent too, never really listened too closely but I hear it almost all of the time. Does the album cover display on your iDrive?
2014 Audi RS5 (sold)
2012 Audi TT RS (sold)
Appreciate 0