BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

08-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #45
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta View Post
i drove 2 track days w/ a oem seat and 3pt and have never felt so uneasy and unsafe. if you tracking a regular basis i have no idea why you would want to keep the oem seat and belts...just my 2cents
I've driven the 'ring for three days w/a 3 pt and OEM seat (2-different times). First time I also drove the Salzburgring, the A-1 ring (in the rain), and the new 'ring track. No issues. Well, the Germans did make 'meowing' noises at us for wearing helmets on the 'ring... Each person has their own comfort level I guess.

I've also had the Schroth 4-pt, a 5pt, and a 6pt harness in different vehicles over the 2 decades of turning $$$ into noise.

The trick shown works great for HPDE at any level. To feel the most safe I'd prefer the 6-pt w/Hans in my old fully caged race car. I don't feel 'unsafe' in the stock seat and seatbelt.

I feel most uneasy and unsafe on the commute to/from the track b/c 95% of the drivers don't know how to drive. It seems to be fewer than that don't know how to drive on the track and we're all going the same direction.

I've had more 'oh shit I'm gonna die' moments due to other drivers on the street than I have while driving on the track. This includes when I've been airborne (twice) with a significant yaw angle on track (BW both times!). The times I've been airborne w/o a significant yaw angle are more fun (the 'ring).

Nice video, OP!
thank you sir!

if it worked for you in the air it should work for me just fine

I've just begun sliding around. next level will be airborne ha
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #46
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I've driven the 'ring for three days w/a 3 pt and OEM seat (2-different times). First time I also drove the Salzburgring, the A-1 ring (in the rain), and the new 'ring track. No issues. Well, the Germans did make 'meowing' noises at us for wearing helmets on the 'ring... Each person has their own comfort level I guess.

I've also had the Schroth 4-pt, a 5pt, and a 6pt harness in different vehicles over the 2 decades of turning $$$ into noise.

The trick shown works great for HPDE at any level. To feel the most safe I'd prefer the 6-pt w/Hans in my old fully caged race car. I don't feel 'unsafe' in the stock seat and seatbelt.

I feel most uneasy and unsafe on the commute to/from the track b/c 95% of the drivers don't know how to drive. It seems to be fewer than that don't know how to drive on the track and we're all going the same direction.

I've had more 'oh shit I'm gonna die' moments due to other drivers on the street than I have while driving on the track. This includes when I've been airborne (twice) with a significant yaw angle on track (BW both times!). The times I've been airborne w/o a significant yaw angle are more fun (the 'ring).

Nice video, OP!
each person will have their own opinion but i myself have kissed the wall at 60mph and i was glad i had a 6pt w/ necksgen... not saying a 3pt wouldnt have done the job but once your in that situation you will be glad you spent the extra $
      08-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #47
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:

Nice video, OP!
Exactly how I feel.

Quote:
Is that over Phil Hill?
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #48
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebringjetta
Quote:

Nice video, OP!
each person will have their own opinion but i myself have kissed the wall at 60mph and i was glad i had a 6pt w/ necksgen... not saying a 3pt wouldnt have done the job but once your in that situation you will be glad you spent the extra $
we have no walls down here lol

in that situation i would love to have a cage 6 point and hans. its in the future for me. right now its still a daily.

damn i want a cayman gts with cage.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #49
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Have been using the seatbelt lock method for the last couple of years. Only once have I felt the belt slip. It locks my 200 lb ass in the seat quite tight. I still do feel the need to brace with my legs occasionally though. That could just have something to do with having heavy legs...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #50
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

How does an oem belt locked prevent lateral movements? That is the issue typically mid corner not so much coming forward but sliding side to side.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #51
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
How does an oem belt locked prevent lateral movements? That is the issue typically mid corner not so much coming forward but sliding side to side.
this locks the shoulder strap as well, not just the lap section. then i just adjust my bolsters to hold me in.

its much better, not bucket seat support but with steering wheel in the right position it works. in my latest track vids, i dont see myself moving around. sometimes i jerk in the seat to see if it is actually holding me in firm. not that type of jerk.

i can't close my door, and can barely reach the gopros to turn them on when locked in.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #52
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp. Describing locking the over-the-shoulder cam at the B-pillar isn't enough apparently.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #53
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Not hard to grasp. But still not ideal.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #54
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

If free is not ideal, what can those of us who do this say... *shrug*

It locks me in the seat as tight as any race seat + harness (except for Hans device type of neck support).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #55
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
If free is not ideal, what can those of us who do this say... *shrug*

It locks me in the seat as tight as any race seat + harness (except for Hans device type of neck support).
Not sure if I agree with that.

I would imagine that a locked seat belt would do fine for right turns but what about left turns? I

It really is a personal choice. If it works for you, it works. I'm just accustomed to the quick fits and really prefer not fooling around with locking the seat belt.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #56
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

For ALL turns. I'm locked in tight at all time, for all conditions. If you see my track videos and see all the oh sh*t moments I get into, how do you think I'm able to stay sitting up straight working the steering wheel?

Just try it on your car on the streets. Lock yourself in with the stock seat & stock seat belt per SlowSaloonM3's video and drive around and see for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #57
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

im locked in on my mini oh shit moments too (im not at oc3 levels yet)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #58
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Finally off my iPhone...

I guess we've had vastly different experiences. Between the belt getting loose suddenly, knee rubbing the door panel until its raw and the crap side bolsters digging into my ribs making them sore...I went with quick fits. I no longer ache and hurt...I no longer worry about suddenly being thrown around the car.

Yes, as it keeps its tension it works OK. Even if the seat belt never lost tension on me and didn't have to worry about it...I don't see how its comfortable at all.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #59
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Finally off my iPhone...

I guess we've had vastly different experiences. Between the belt getting loose suddenly, knee rubbing the door panel until its raw and the crap side bolsters digging into my ribs making them sore...I went with quick fits. I no longer ache and hurt...I no longer worry about suddenly being thrown around the car.

Yes, as it keeps its tension it works OK. Even if the seat belt never lost tension on me and didn't have to worry about it...I don't see how its comfortable at all.
it is a bit uncomfortable but i quickly forget about it as im literally giggling while im driving. thats the best part about this hobby. no other hobby makes me giggle and laugh and smile as much as gettig on a track does! golf? i was always pissed. basketball. i always needed to win. very competitive in nature i am.

hpde? i just giggle at every oh shit moment haha
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #60
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Re: comfortable (or, not), that's the minor frustrating part about this - sometimes you make it way too tight & you gotta re-do it. Other times, it's too loose & the cam releases as you start rolling & you gotta re-do it.

With harness, you just click click click, cinch down on the shoulder straps & you're good to go.

Anyhow, that's why I have the seat memory button 2 set for slide-back position and that lets me usually get it just right on the first try.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #61
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Exactly how I feel.

Is that over Phil Hill?
Nope. That'd make sense.

CCW, so you come off Talledega into the bus stop. Was passing a guy in a race and took the inside line. Oooops...very greasy so it went into full ABS. My choice at the time was broadside the guy as he turned in or just turn in on the berm. I chose the latter.

As my competitor described in the post race meeting, "when he landed, he was still sliding sideways, but he held it and made the pass stick."

The other time was CW coming off the end of the sweepers and I got it all wrong (it was November, cold, and misty). I pushed off the outside edge at 100mph and hit the road that comes in perpendicular to the track square on. Car went nose up in the air for a second and then it was all dust and crap. Bent a Kosei wheel about 4 inches.

Not my finest two days on the track.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #62
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope. That'd make sense.

CCW, so you come off Talledega into the bus stop. Was passing a guy in a race and took the inside line. Oooops...very greasy so it went into full ABS. My choice at the time was broadside the guy as he turned in or just turn in on the berm. I chose the latter.

As my competitor described in the post race meeting, "when he landed, he was still sliding sideways, but he held it and made the pass stick."

The other time was CW coming off the end of the sweepers and I got it all wrong (it was November, cold, and misty). I pushed off the outside edge at 100mph and hit the road that comes in perpendicular to the track square on. Car went nose up in the air for a second and then it was all dust and crap. Bent a Kosei wheel about 4 inches.

Not my finest two days on the track.
Sounds like makings of entertaining track video footages
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #63
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Thx for the vid OP and the further explanations OC3. I was doing this but not as tight as you guys, so at some point the belt was becoming unlocked. I will try again. I think the M3 seats are fantastic and the adjustable side bolsters really keep me in place. So the right seats + this seatbelt lock method should work nicely.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #64
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Thx for the vid OP and the further explanations OC3. I was doing this but not as tight as you guys, so at some point the belt was becoming unlocked. I will try again. I think the M3 seats are fantastic and the adjustable side bolsters really keep me in place. So the right seats + this seatbelt lock method should work nicely.
Yep, love the stocks seat, its adjustable side bolsters, etc. But ya, let us know how it works out for you. It's obviously not for everyone (mostly due to perception on their part), but I'm simply amazed to see people spend thousands & thousands on race seats + 6-point harness, or 4-point Schroth harness, etc, for simple HPDE events when this free trick works just as well in keeping the driver locked in.

When it becomes unlocked while driving, you can, while still moving, slide the seat back several inches, lock the cam/belt again, hold the tension on the seatbelt and slide the seat forward. i.e. I don't necessarily find that I have to pull over & come to a stop to go thru the process again (electric power seat definitely helps on this - I tried it on non-power seats and it was just too difficult to do while moving). But, at the tracks, I try to make sure it's in good before the session, so when I re-do it, it's usually while driving on the streets, but had to do it once or twice on the tracks too (while on straight sections).

Early on after I started doing this, I've had it way too tight at the tracks on a few occasions whereafter the left collar bone area was just red/raw for days - and, I later found myself digging thru the garage looking for my younger son's old baby car seat shoulder pad, lulz. But, eventually, you learn about how much of sliding back works out perfectly (that's my seat memory button #2).

Remember that, locked in like this, your left foot is free to left-foot brake, left-foot trail-brake, etc, if you so choose to. It's great.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #65
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I will say that cloth seats make a HUGE, MASSIVE difference over the leather seats. My cloth seats do a much better job of providing some friction. I've instructed E9X M3s with leather seats and my butt just slides around. I immediately noticed the slickness of the OE leather seats when I first test drove an M3 back in 2008.

Speed cloth FTW!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #66
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Yep, love the stocks seat, its adjustable side bolsters, etc. But ya, let us know how it works out for you. It's obviously not for everyone (mostly due to perception on their part), but I'm simply amazed to see people spend thousands & thousands on race seats + 6-point harness, or 4-point Schroth harness, etc, for simple HPDE events when this free trick works just as well in keeping the driver locked in.

When it becomes unlocked while driving, you can, while still moving, slide the seat back several inches, lock the cam/belt again, hold the tension on the seatbelt and slide the seat forward. i.e. I don't necessarily find that I have to pull over & come to a stop to go thru the process again (electric power seat definitely helps on this - I tried it on non-power seats and it was just too difficult to do while moving). But, at the tracks, I try to make sure it's in good before the session, so when I re-do it, it's usually while driving on the streets, but had to do it once or twice on the tracks too (while on straight sections).

Early on after I started doing this, I've had it way too tight at the tracks on a few occasions whereafter the left collar bone area was just red/raw for days - and, I later found myself digging thru the garage looking for my younger son's old baby car seat shoulder pad, lulz. But, eventually, you learn about how much of sliding back works out perfectly (that's my seat memory button #2).

Remember that, locked in like this, your left foot is free to left-foot brake, left-foot trail-brake, etc, if you so choose to. It's great.
lol

i might have to go back to the fast and furious ricer store and buy one of those seatbelt pads - because.race.car.
Appreciate 0