BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

11-09-2006, 03:59 AM   #1
SteanLV
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Liberty Walk M3

M.D. FROM CALI! need your advice!

Hey guys,
I am currently a student at a community college in Las Vegas and I plan to transfer to a pre-med university in california. I was looking at UC Irvine and it seems like its the best place for me to go. Can you guys advise any other good pre-med colleges in california that offer pre-med programs?

Thanks
stean
      11-09-2006, 05:45 AM   #2
TommyBahama
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

pre-med is not always needed to get into med school these days. look into what cetrain med schools you are interested in require and go from there. just do really good on your MCATs and have a lot of bio credits.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
When I applied for medical school years ago, the AMCAS (American Medical College Applicaiton Service) had you calculate your total, science, and non-science GPAs separately. GPA has always been an important criterion in addition to MCAT scores, letters of recommendation, C.V., and of course, interview.

"Pre-med" was not a major. You could be an accounting or theology major, and as long as you took the courses required for consideration for medical school, you were fine. I would recommend choosing a major field of interest you could fall back on. Those skills could even be an asset if/when you do practice as a physician.

At the time, the required core classes included general biology, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, genetics, cellular and molecular biology, biochemistry, calculus (highly recommended). The MCAT has since changed, but back in the 1980s it was divided into 6 sections (biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, reading, quantitative). I believe the newer MCAT is more case study oriented.
      11-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Agreed....you need to do well in your courses. You do not need to go to a "pre-med" institution. All that is required is that you satisfy the science requirements at whichever institution you attend. Your major can be just about anything....does not have to be a science. However, you can minimize the number of courses you take, because as a science major...many of the premed subjects that are required, will also be required to satisfy your major. The pitfall is...that by being a science major, you will also have to take courses beyond what is required for med school application. Hence, the science courses for your major can be quite challenging.

Now, you would be better off going to the best college as you can gain acceptance into. Why? well...I have sat on review boards for medical school, and now sit on one for residency programs..and we do look at the reputation of the school you are coming from. It is so competetive these days that yes....an applicant that has been able to attain various Honors at UCLA counts more than one that performed the same at San Diego State Univ. when looking at your academic performance. Of course, none of this matters, if your MCAT is poor. Unfortunately...this test is used to screen out the good from the average applicants. I do not really agree with this, but that is the way the system is. So, no matter where you go....you need to excel on this test and you need to excel in your coursework in order to be considered for interviews down the road.

Off the record, UCI is generally considered to be lower on the list..."repuation"-wise among the UC system when it comes to medschool applications. Top programs: UCLA, USC, Stanford, UCSF, UC Berkeley, UCSD.
      11-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
they will look at the reputation of your school but you have to get to the point where they will even look at you... that means your undergraduate BCPM and mcat score is really all they look at to get you considered. thats just one thing to keep in mind.

also regarding your major... it helps to major in something like bio becuase it gets you really familiar with the stuff that the mcat tests you on. sure you can go in not knowing things and alot of the information is given to you. you do need to know how to think, but atleast for me, it saved me alot of time when i read a bio passage and think "yea ive heard of this," or "yea ive done this one before" etc. the freshmen physics, chemistry, and orgo are all you need to do well on the mcat but bio... it doesnt hurt to take upper level classes... especially physiology and genetics

i majored in math and physics as an undergrad. i didnt get into medschool the first two times i applied. my first mcat was a 21. i went into a graduate program in medical science where i basically took medschool level classes [neuroanatomy, immunology, microbiology, physiology, gross anatomy, embryology, and genetics] my last mcat score was a 30. now... i am not a good test taker and a 30 isnt great but its enough to get me considered. 21 to a 30 is a huge jump for anyone, especially for me. right now as i am applying, i am taking postbach classes part time, shadowing a hand surgeon, working at the OR as an anesthesiology tech, and volunteering in a program that lets me rotate through departments that is similar to what 3rd and 4th year medstudents do

grades is one thing... anyone can do it if they study hard enough. i am the case and point. it seems like alot of schools like to see people make an active effort to explore the field... this means clinical experience and some research [depending on where you want to go]

oh thats another thing... when you have good realistic schools picked out, go talk to the admissions counselor. call them up, make an appointment for a "pre-application consult" so you can introduce yourself, learn alittle more about what the school is all about, and they can probbly tell you what they look for and what you need to improve to be more competitive

Last edited by jadeddjay; 11-10-2006 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
zot09
Slick
United_States
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd
Off the record, UCI is generally considered to be lower on the list..."repuation"-wise among the UC system when it comes to medschool applications. Top programs: UCLA, USC, Stanford, UCSF, UC Berkeley, UCSD.
Sad news to hear, I am actually a second-year bio. major at UCI, with my goal being Med. School I knew I should have gone to UCSD...hahaha
Whatever, too late now.

Anyways, back to the OP. I am really enjoying UCI, even though the major does cut away a big chunk of time for your social life. But that is something you have to consider when you want to get into a competitive post-grad field, such as medicine. The classes are difficult (G-chem, O-chem, Bio, etc.), but if you study hard you will have a good chance at succeeding. From what I have heard, there are many research opportunities at UCI(I plan on starting this summer), so that should be one thing you consider when applying to a school. The surrounding area even has many hospitals that welcome undergrad students to come in and volunteer/intern. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Best of luck dude.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zot09
Sad news to hear, I am actually a second-year bio. major at UCI, with my goal being Med. School I knew I should have gone to UCSD...hahaha
Whatever, too late now.
Bro...its still good, as long as your MCATs are good, and grades are excellent. Like I said....lower among the UC system (tough competition!). There are ALOT of other institutions out there, that are traditionally not strong at all. Plus there are tons of out of state individuals all wanting to come to CA.

So, you still have a shot....just make sure you look at a WIDE range of med schools when it comes time to apply....in particular, look into the out of state programs to improve your chances.

I know...the system sucks, but its just the way it is. Best of luck.
      11-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

I went to school in NY, but I trained in IM and pulmonary/cc in CA (UCSD). Pre-med is by and large, a thing of the past. The bottom line is that you should major in something that interests you. Med schools don't care what it is, they like diversity. You also don't want to invest your money and effort in a major that doesn't interest you, should you not get in. Although it is true that schools are weighted differently, you want to go to a school that you will do well at, academically. You should know by now what kind of student you are. It will do you no good to go to UCLA, USC or UCSD and get B's and C's. If you go to a less well known University ang get honors, that will at least get you noticed. The first cut for applicants are about grades and MCAT scores. That's how you're weeded out, not including the "who knows who" factor. After that, they look at things that will distinguish you from each other because what's left are academic stars who did really well on the MCAT, >>30. The other thing is that it's hard enough getting into any med school, CA is even more competitive. Spread you apps around the country and go where you have to go. MCATs? Take a course if you have to.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i believe SD and Davis also have pre-med programs. but theyr pretty selective as most pre-med programs are.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 11:35 PM   #10
typerlover
Private
Rep
Drives: coming soon

Go for something different. Try biomedical engineering. Everyone is a bio major, and it really doesn't help you stand out at all. Plus if you don't get in the first time around, you would have graduated with an engineering degree and can even work and get paid real money for a year. And then reapply. Or decide that the process is so ridiculous that you will not even mess with it.

*frustrated 2006 applicant*
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2006, 11:37 PM   #11
typerlover
Private
Rep
Drives: coming soon

Oh and as or MCAT, really 30-32 is what you need to have an average and I would even say slightly below average shot at getting in.

Scores are going up, 34+ is the magical area that 30+ once used to be.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #12
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by typerlover

*frustrated 2006 applicant*
amen to that
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #13
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
like everybody else said... you dont need to be a pre-med major to do pre-med. as long as your in a science, you can take that route to pre-med. easiest way i suppose is to know what classes you have to take as a pre-med major and take those classes while being a regular biological sciences major or something. i'm biochem&molec science major but im planning on going more broad... just "biological sciences" cause i hate biochem... and chemistry in general.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0