BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

02-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Cool Dubai license plate auction sets world record

At a whopping $14,500,000!

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/51135...ecord-at-145mn

CNN VIDEO: Plate #5 (Same owner)
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...ef=videosearch
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Damn oil rich guys have nothing better to spend their money on
      02-18-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

i love how dubai sets all these "world records" as if people other than them are actually competing actively for them. are any other countries in the entire world as stupid as dubai when it comes it this? that they actually care about their license plates this much? because i have never heard about this before dubai. nobody gives a shit anymore. "world records" haven't been a big deal basically since the cold war ended. worlds this.... worlds that... give me a fucking break.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 02:01 AM   #4
spazmcdougal
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i Monaco Blue

It would be so funny if someone like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet or even a car buff like Jay Leno bought the number "1" plate and broke balls by making a show of hanging it in some neglected corner of their garage........pretty sure some of those oil guys would be so steamed they probably stroke out just thinking about it.....lol
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazmcdougal View Post
It would be so funny if someone like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet or even a car buff like Jay Leno bought the number "1" plate and broke balls by making a show of hanging it in some neglected corner of their garage........pretty sure some of those oil guys would be so steamed they probably stroke out just thinking about it.....lol
the dude who bought it is a stock broker. not an oil guy. it's also stupid when idiot americans assume everyone in dubai has oil money, considering that less than 7% of their GDP is oil revenue, yeah... i'm not talking specifically about you. but anytime ANYONE says anything about dubai someone mentions some b.s. about oil heirs and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
seven_227
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i

Number plates are an invesment in Dubai, you buy a plate for $100K, sell it 2 years later for 3 times the price.
      02-18-2008, 02:52 AM   #7
323d
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

he should put the plate on a honda civic .

j
      02-18-2008, 03:11 AM   #8
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The plate craze is popular everywhere. In Hong Kong and Taiwan plates go up to hundreds of thousands also.
      02-18-2008, 05:00 AM   #9
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
i love how dubai sets all these "world records" as if people other than them are actually competing actively for them. are any other countries in the entire world as stupid as dubai when it comes it this? that they actually care about their license plates this much? because i have never heard about this before dubai.
Yea, pretty F-ing retarded how they waste so much money. Agreed.

Quote:
nobody gives a shit anymore. "world records" haven't been a big deal basically since the cold war ended. worlds this.... worlds that... give me a fucking break.
uhh, I dunno about that...... people do still care about a lot of records. Tallest building, fastest car, plain, and train, tallest person, shortest person, longest this and that....... a lot of it is cool.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 05:07 AM   #10
seven_227
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Its a charity auction, as well as "Proceeds from the auction will go towards building a national rehabilitation centre for traffic accident victims - the first of its kind in the UAE." thats what encourages people to pay these amounts
      02-18-2008, 05:08 AM   #11
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven_227 View Post
Its a charity auction, all those millions are going to the poor
what do the "poor" in dubai drive? s classes? flying spurs?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 05:19 AM   #12
seven_227
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico335 View Post
Who said that it is for the poor in dubai the money goes to the poor all around the world, the last "Dubai Cares" campaign raised over 3.5billion AED to build schools and spread knowledge in 3rd world countries.

And there are families in Dubai of 6-8 people living in 1 room under a roof that may collide any moment with a monthly income of less than $1000 for the whole family, there are poor people every where around the world.
      02-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
Yea, pretty F-ing retarded how they waste so much money. Agreed.

uhh, I dunno about that...... people do still care about a lot of records. Tallest building, fastest car, plain, and train, tallest person, shortest person, longest this and that....... a lot of it is cool.
let me rephrase, nations don't care about world records for national recognition, of course the competition exists in private industry; in addition to novelty guiness world records b.s. but you don't see any western nation competing for something as novel as the world tallest building or the worlds biggest theme park like dubai does. it's quite pathetic, really. i just got wait until their economy bursts in 20 years and they have all this palatial infrastructure in a total ghost town. too much economic growth too fast is unsustainable.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #14
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Who said that it is for the poor in dubai the money goes to the poor all around the world, the last "Dubai Cares" campaign raised over 3.5billion AED to build schools and spread knowledge in 3rd world countries.

And there are families in Dubai of 6-8 people living in 1 room under a roof that may collide any moment with a monthly income of less than $1000 for the whole family, there are poor people every where around the world.
Nice to know! I didnt know that. At first I was freaked out that people can spend so much on a plate but then I seen it was for charity.
      02-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #15
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:

+1....

People, Like Saud said before, its an investment......!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #16
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico335 View Post
there is a VERY sparse middle class in dubai. you can't have such a large concentration very wealthy people in addition to a strong middle class, it's economically impossible. in countries like dubai there is a phenomenally discouraging disparity between the rich and the poor. those are the countries that fail or at least tend to hit a glass ceiling, strong middle classes sustain economic growth.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #17
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its a charity auction, as well as "Proceeds from the auction will go towards building a national rehabilitation centre for traffic accident victims - the first of its kind in the UAE." thats what encourages people to pay these amounts
ahh ok, then it that case, its fine....to a degree

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #18
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
ahh ok, then it that case, its fine....to a degree
yeah except they wouldn't need to build a rehab center for accident victims if these dipshits would stop driving their supercars like they got their drivers license next week and were 4 years old.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #19
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah except they wouldn't need to build a rehab center for accident victims if these dipshits would stop driving their supercars like they got their drivers license next week and were 4 years old.
Wait, wtf was I thinking.... its 4:30 am so I must be fatigued hah. All I saw was "proceeds went to...." and figured all was well as long as the "proceeds went to" somewhere. But that didnt cross my mind

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #20
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Did anyone realise that it was a 'ABU DHABI' event ....meaning that its an ABU DHABI plate no.....meaning that 'DUBAI' and 'ABU DHABI' are different states and ......this article has nothing to do with Dubai
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #21
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:

Haha.....you could be right with that statement a few years ago but now.....Dubai is one of the hardest place to get your license....Even for people who already have a driving licenses from other countries dont get a free pass. You got to give a stupid test.

Anyway, I really appreciate your 'optimistic' comments you made before about dubai!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #22
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
Did anyone realise that it was a 'ABU DHABI' event ....meaning that its an ABU DHABI plate no.....meaning that 'DUBAI' and 'ABU DHABI' are different states and ......this article has nothing to do with Dubai
touche. but the principles are analogous to both places.
Appreciate 0