BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
ploo
slow in, slow out
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 997.2 GT3

Best front sunshade?

Did a search and didn't find much useful discussion on the topic:

Those of you who use front sunshades, what kind do you recommend? At this point I'm considering the OEM BMW one and the Covercraft one.

OEM BMW: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Covercraft: http://www.autogeek.net/heatshields.html

Also, BMW has some snap-in sunshades available, has anybody had luck with these in E92 fitment? They seem to be a bit pricey but if they make a significant difference, I'm willing to try them out.

Never had to park in the sun all day until now, and with as hot a summer as we've been having here in Texas this year, thought I'd see if there was anything more I could to decrease cabin temps and UV damage to my interior.

Thanks, all.
      08-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Heatshield

I have a heat shield. It's custom fitted for e92. I would say it is about 98% perfect fit. For $35 it is worth it, IMHO. The quality is nice. It is thick and the build is nice. The only downside, due to it's thickness, it is almost impossible to roll it up from the drivers seat. I usually roll it up outside before getting in.

http://www.heatshieldstore.com/
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have the weathertech one which is reversible to keep the car cool in the summer and warm in the winter (haven't tried this). It has suction cups so you don't have to use the visors to hold it in place.

Pro:
  • Fit perfectly for the front windshield since it's custom made for the car.
  • It actually kept the car "warm" in the summer heat here in cali instead of hot.
Con:
  • Suction cups are 'eh' ok. I just don't like smudges on the windows.
  • I find it difficult rolling it up or rolling it out due to space issues...it's probably me.
  • A bit pricey.

Overall, I like it since it does its job. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
piloto
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

I have Heatshield for my E90 (and have it for my S2K and had it for my GTI). And no issues with rolling it from the driver's seat. I once had the velcro strip disbond on the GTI one, but it was replaced FOC by Heatshield. Works great, fits great, and stowes very easily. Anything else is too complicated imo.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

i have the oem one, no complaints but its is my first sun shield. fits well and the car is cooler when i get in.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

Bavarian Autosport has a very nice multi layer sunshade that is reversible in the winter (like we need that in Texas). And it is custom for your car.
Here's the link: http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

I looked at my sun shield today and it is made by Cover Craft.

Last edited by KIS; 08-22-2011 at 08:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

FYI, pic of OEM Sunshade...
Attached Images

08-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post
I have a heat shield. It's custom fitted for e92. I would say it is about 98% perfect fit. For $35 it is worth it, IMHO. The quality is nice. It is thick and the build is nice. The only downside, due to it's thickness, it is almost impossible to roll it up from the drivers seat. I usually roll it up outside before getting in.

http://www.heatshieldstore.com/
This one looks really good but after some research there are some reports of sagging.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-sunshade.html
      08-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

I have Covercraft shades in each of my vehicles. The fit is just about perfect and it really reduces the heat inside the car. The only downside is that since it reflects so much heat, sometimes its hard to handle when taking it down...burns my little fingers!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:23 AM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I have the OEM BMW one, but have 2 complaints: it's heavy, hard (doesn't bend at all), and bulky as hell. And it has perfect fit, BUT a HUGE hole below the mirror; don't understand why. I rarely use it since car usually travels from a garage to a garage. I'd honestly buy the Covercraft due to better coverage under the mirror; looks pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris'_m3 View Post
I have Covercraft shades in each of my vehicles. The fit is just about perfect and it really reduces the heat inside the car. The only downside is that since it reflects so much heat, sometimes its hard to handle when taking it down...burns my little fingers!
I hope you're a female.
      08-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shark View Post
FYI, pic of OEM Sunshade...
I was thinking of going OEM but that huge BMW across it seems to be asking for trouble from the haters.
      08-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
I hope you're a female.
No, just reiterating what my wife said when I complained about how hot it got when taking it down. Back on the subject though, I would not be surprised if the BMW one may actually be made by Covercraft. With the exception of the logo, they look identical in pictures.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I have the OEM BMW one, but have 2 complaints: it's heavy, hard (doesn't bend at all), and bulky as hell. And it has perfect fit, BUT a HUGE hole below the mirror; don't understand why. I rarely use it since car usually travels from a garage to a garage. I'd honestly buy the Covercraft due to better coverage under the mirror; looks pretty good.
I have the same complaints, although one nice thing about the large cutout is it fits around my radar detector, which is currently mounted below the mirror.
      08-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

i've always used the oem BMW ones.........no complaints.......it does what i expect it to do.......there are no HUGE gaps.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
GotM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
This one looks really good but after some research there are some reports of sagging.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-sunshade.html
I am using the Heatshield in my 135, and my wife uses one for her subi Legacy. Both of them sag, but they both block the sun across the entire windscreen.

For temps like here in AZ I think this is one of the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #17
ploo
slow in, slow out
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 997.2 GT3

Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I had the same reservations about the OEM sunshade with the big BMW written on it. Currently leaning towards the Covercraft as accordion-style sounds more appealing than having to roll it up.

Sounds like nobody in the world has ever tried the OEM side shades (like the rear sunshade except they clip into your side windows, apparently). They're pretty pricey:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

Guess I'll do some research into leather care products with the most UV protection. I can't stand the fact that the car is baking in the sun all day but I really have little choice in my current situation.

Anyway, thanks again for all your helpful input, next time someone searches for opinions on sunshades I hope they stumble across this thread.

Cheers all,
      08-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #18
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Why make this more difficult than necessary? Axius-Auto Shade, cheap, folds quick, and the spring wire around the edges gives it tension to hold up. Fold the visors down after you put them in place.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #19
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploo View Post
Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I had the same reservations about the OEM sunshade with the big BMW written on it. Currently leaning towards the Covercraft as accordion-style sounds more appealing than having to roll it up.

Sounds like nobody in the world has ever tried the OEM side shades (like the rear sunshade except they clip into your side windows, apparently). They're pretty pricey:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Cheers all,
I'm confused... the oem front shade I have folds up and is a PITA because it's got rigid material inside and the folds are huge compared to the cheapo ones I used to buy at target.

If you're really concerned about parking outside, get window tint.
      08-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #20
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

I have the OEM one and like it a lot. I wish they didn't have the huge logo on it but it seems to be the best for my needs. Only takes a few seconds to put up and really makes a big difference when combined with a decent tint.
      08-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #21
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys M3 View Post
Why make this more difficult than necessary? Axius-Auto Shade, cheap, folds quick, and the spring wire around the edges gives it tension to hold up. Fold the visors down after you put them in place.
Because after using these spring shades for years, they do shade the dash, but they don't reduce the heat buildup nearly as much as the Covercraft style.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #22
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Heathshield FTW.
Appreciate 0