BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
hey HRE... why R40SC?

Hey HRE, I LOVE your R40s. I got the chance to see them on this exact car ( above ). They're BEAUTIFUL. But I was running APEX ARC8 and the concave on those make such a simple cheap wheel look great too. I was debating just running my 18inch ARC8 as daily wheels but I dont like them as much as I do the R40s. If there were some R40SC in 18. I would sell all my wheels track and daily and get a set of R40SC in 18. Any plans to make them though?
      09-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
oops, sorry. I meant WHY NO R40SC.....
      09-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Protocav
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I assume that when you talk about an R40SC you mean "why are the R40's so flat?"

The simple answer is: while the curved spokes are more beautiful to look at, the most efficient design in terms of strength and weight is a straight beam, especially in buckling, which is the mode of loading that the vertical spoke is seeing (and bending when the vehicle is in a turn). Any curved or extra material is only adding weight. The really tall backpad is required to reach the low offset that the M3 is able to run, so the gigantic bowl in the center is designed to remove the mass that is not required for strength. The R40/43 is designed first to be light and strong, and then second to look good. As far as i know, they are lighter than the Apex wheels also. Keep in mind that HRE could easily make these wheels weigh 15 lbs, but they are very conservatively load rated for our heavy cars to go around the track for years. Most race teams throw their wheels away at the end of the season, but that would be unacceptable for the consumer market.

I have the R43's and would certianly like them to be a little more concave...however, when i look at them the beauty is in the engineering for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocav
I assume that when you talk about an R40SC you mean "why are the R40's so flat?"

The simple answer is: while the curved spokes are more beautiful to look at, the most efficient design in terms of strength and weight is a straight beam, especially in buckling, which is the mode of loading that the vertical spoke is seeing (and bending when the vehicle is in a turn). Any curved or extra material is only adding weight. The really tall backpad is required to reach the low offset that the M3 is able to run, so the gigantic bowl in the center is designed to remove the mass that is not required for strength. The R40/43 is designed first to be light and strong, and then second to look good. As far as i know, they are lighter than the Apex wheels also. Keep in mind that HRE could easily make these wheels weigh 15 lbs, but they are very conservatively load rated for our heavy cars to go around the track for years. Most race teams throw their wheels away at the end of the season, but that would be unacceptable for the consumer market.

I have the R43's and would certianly like them to be a little more concave...however, when i look at them the beauty is in the engineering for me.
He was just asking why they don't make it in 18

Nice explanation though
      09-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocav View Post

Thanks for the input. I know why they would do the flat design. But for a wheel that is also on the public market, not just race teams. Id say add a slight concave or even a specific design model ( SC ) to suit the occasional tracker that wants nice wheels daily too... Just a thought. Cause again, Id be all over a set if they were even slightly concave.
      09-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

I like that they are not concave... Tons of brake clearance (which I hope to need some day ), and something different from all of the concave and deep dish wheels out there. I love the details and purposeful look of the R40 / R43.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I like that they are not concave... Tons of brake clearance (which I hope to need some day ), and something different from all of the concave and deep dish wheels out there. I love the details and purposeful look of the R40 / R43.
Hey, good for you. You like them different... GREAT!

That not my question.
      09-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3roar View Post
Hey, good for you. You like them different... GREAT!

That not my question.
Why don't you call HRE directly? They are the only ones that can answer your question.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Why don't you call HRE directly? They are the only ones that can answer your question.
Or PM. Sheesh. Useless thread is useless.
      09-19-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Or PM. Sheesh. Useless thread is useless.
+1

The R4x is part of the motorsport line so function over form! BTW, just like slicer, I love the way my R40's look and, IMO, they do not need a conical face.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

R4X series is their motorsport line, they are designed for light weight and maximum strength. If you want the look of the R40 but with concave, then check out the P40SC.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

http://www.hrewheels.com/contact_us/
Appreciate 0