E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E46 vs. E90: what’s better / worse than before?

02-18-2006, 02:56 AM   #45
aem
Why pay more for nothing?
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

I think it's time for some pics...

The e90

The e46

You would agree that the e90's front is bland and not as classy as the e46.
- The part of the e90's bumper just below the lights and around to the sides is more slanty. It doesnt look good as it makes the headlights and nostrils look overly small and unproportional.
- The crab belly like centre section is the worse looking bit.

There is nothing to dislike about the e46's front. Everything is proportionaled...

Here's is the ugliness of the e90 highlighted through this angle of a shot...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 03:04 AM   #46
aem
Australia
Rep

Just noticed the bonnet of the e90 cuts the top of the nostrils. To me that's not a good design
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 03:55 AM   #47
climkt
Bimmer Manual all the way
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e90 320i manual

speaking of dashboards, e46 and e90 aped the trend of the 5 series and moved away from driver orientated e36 design of the dash board. not sure whether this is a good thing but e36 front seat passengers used to feel completely left out as the dash was completely focussed on the driver.
the e46 facelift coupe and cabriolets have an enduring look. very classy, has not dated quickly yet.perhaps, when e92 and e93 models appear, i may take back my words.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 04:34 AM   #48
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
not trying to discriminate. But does anyone else find it funny that the original poster drives a an Audi???
Just realized that. Is he pissed that E90 is beating every single Audi it encounters?

Ok, back to maturity, Jon, what are you expecting?
You are just asking for flames. You come to E90 board saying E46 is better.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 06:14 AM   #49
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aem
You would agree that the e90's front is bland and not as classy as the e46.
- The part of the e90's bumper just below the lights and around to the sides is more slanty. It doesnt look good as it makes the headlights and nostrils look overly small and unproportional.
- The crab belly like centre section is the worse looking bit.

There is nothing to dislike about the e46's front. Everything is proportionaled...

Here's is the ugliness of the e90 highlighted through this angle of a shot...
I might respect your opinion, if you weren't a total idiot. First off, you might want to learn some terms that anyone who has ever heard of a BMW knows. For example, the the front grilles are kidney shaped and have been for many many years. "Nostrils" is not a term I've ever heard associated with them. If you want a car with nostrils go find a 90-something Trans Am.

What you are currently driving is "Wants E90"? So let's just make sure we're clear - you find the E90 hideously ugly but you can't wait to get one? Since you are such a huge E46 fan (not that there's anything wrong with that) why don't you just find yourself a nice little E46, settle down, and leave this forum and never come back.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 06:17 AM   #50
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I've owned an E36, an E46 and now an E90. I loved my E36, thought it was a really great car. The E46, though better on paper in every way, seemed to be missing something. The steering was better, but the experience seemed slightly removed from the E36. Just 3 miles after taking delivery of my new E90, I realised that the magic of the E36 was back. I love it. The steering feel in the new E90 is leaps ahead of my other two models, and the suspension (standard version on all cars) resists body roll MUCH better.

One thing I noticed yesterday, however, was the carpet mats - they are so much thinner and flimsier than either the E36 or E46 items. For £75 I expected better. But that's it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 06:41 AM   #51
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle
I've owned an E36, an E46 and now an E90. I loved my E36, thought it was a really great car. The E46, though better on paper in every way, seemed to be missing something. The steering was better, but the experience seemed slightly removed from the E36. Just 3 miles after taking delivery of my new E90, I realised that the magic of the E36 was back. I love it.
wow. thats definitely a good thing to hear from all 3 generation owner..

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #52
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
wow. thats definitely a good thing to hear from all 3 generation owner..
What about the E21 and E30?

The E30 is still my personal favorite to drive. Though I know the actual numbers belie this fact, they feel so much lighter and nimbler behind the wheel than the E36, E46, E90, et al...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #53
imageWIS
Audi Roamer…
Rep
Drives: 06' Audi A4 2.0T

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
not trying to discriminate. But does anyone else find it funny that the original poster drives a an Audi???
Who came ever so close to buying a 325i…

The reason I went with Audi was that for the price to features ratio, the A4 was a better value than the 325i, plus the interior is better made and the dash design is more driver friendly.

I hope the E92 coupe is better than the current 3er, because then it will be a strong contender for my next car.

Why did they do away with the curved dash anyways?

Jon.

Sucker love is heaven sent.
You pucker up, our passion’s spent.
My hearts a tart, your body’s rent.
My body’s broken, yours is spent.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #54
imageWIS
Audi Roamer…
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Just realized that. Is he pissed that E90 is beating every single Audi it encounters?

Ok, back to maturity, Jon, what are you expecting?
You are just asking for flames. You come to E90 board saying E46 is better.
That was not my question. My question what is better / worse when comparing both cars.

Jon.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #55
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Having owned both cars I would say that the sound system in the E90 while it has Logic 7 does not seem to have the same volume capability as my e46 had (with HK sound).
      02-18-2006, 05:17 PM   #56
aem
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I might respect your opinion, if you weren't a total idiot. First off, you might want to learn some terms that anyone who has ever heard of a BMW knows. For example, the the front grilles are kidney shaped and have been for many many years. "Nostrils" is not a term I've ever heard associated with them. If you want a car with nostrils go find a 90-something Trans Am.

What you are currently driving is "Wants E90"? So let's just make sure we're clear - you find the E90 hideously ugly but you can't wait to get one? Since you are such a huge E46 fan (not that there's anything wrong with that) why don't you just find yourself a nice little E46, settle down, and leave this forum and never come back.
I believe you are breaking the forum rules by first calling me names and being unfriendly towards a fellow member.

No skin off my nose but i think the admins should be notified off this.

My opinions on both cars are honest and unbiased and i shall continue posting my opinions and there is nothing you can do about it.

Whether i wanted the e90 or thinking about e46 is none of your concerns. I'm smart enough to choose by myself without being blinded people's views.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #57
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aem
I believe you are breaking the forum rules by first calling me names and being unfriendly towards a fellow member.

My opinions on both cars are honest and unbiased and i shall continue posting my opinions and there is nothing you can do about it.

Whether i wanted the e90 or thinking about e46 is none of your concerns. I'm smart enough to choose by myself without being blinded people's views.

I stand corrected. You're not an idiot. You're a dipshit.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #58
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
That was not my question. My question what is better / worse when comparing both cars.

Jon.
Its just better. Its an improved E46 obviously. BMW never fails with 3 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The reason I went with Audi was that for the price to features ratio, the A4 was a better value than the 325i, plus the interior is better made and the dash design is more driver friendly.
Your Audi A4 is better than E90? Car reviews out there don't seem to agree. but hey, whatever floats your boat. Thats what matters. Honestly, Im glad Audi A4 exists. It has uglier rear taillights than the E90. Making us look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem

I think you should cut the crap and go back to E46Fanatics.
The comparison you did above with those pics, oh dear. My neighbor's little kids can do better.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #59
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Im one of the biggest E46 fanboys you'll ever find (just ask jason how much i've brainwashed him about the godlyness of the e46 , but IMO, the E90 is a VASTLY superior design from the exterior design to the driving dynamics. The only part of the car in which I favor the E46 more is the interior, and even then, only some things and not others.... I think the E90 will age very very well and is definitely a pure BMW design...
      02-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #60
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Mark - when are you getting the E90?? Still holding out for the M3?

The loaner e46 I drove was a 2005 and it was very nice indeed. But I still prefer the E90, though I'd never bash the previous generation. I still admire each one I see on the road.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #61
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mark - when are you getting the E90?? Still holding out for the M3?

The loaner e46 I drove was a 2005 and it was very nice indeed. But I still prefer the E90, though I'd never bash the previous generation. I still admire each one I see on the road.

M3 or bust ! Or I might get swayed by the 335i once we see what the realities of that car are...

The e46 is an awesome car, especially from behind the steering wheel, but the problem was that a little bit of retro was the trend back then so the E46 was dated from the get-go in terms of styling, the facelift helped brings things into line alot, but when compared to the E90 it just gets left behind unfortunatly.. I still love it to death because when its setup correctly, its a real killer car to drive, but again the E90 has its number in that department as well..
      02-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #62
aem
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I stand corrected. You're not an idiot. You're a dipshit.
Like i say, no skins off my nose.

Becoming a keyboard warrior doesn't interest me...and replying to one can only amuse me.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #63
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Simmer down you two, thanks.
      02-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #64
aem
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
Im one of the biggest E46 fanboys you'll ever find (just ask jason how much i've brainwashed him about the godlyness of the e46 , but IMO, the E90 is a VASTLY superior design from the exterior design to the driving dynamics. The only part of the car in which I favor the E46 more is the interior, and even then, only some things and not others.... I think the E90 will age very very well and is definitely a pure BMW design...
Just for the record I'm an e46 coupe fanboy ONLY.

You say that the e90 exterior design is vastly superior than the e90. For the sake of this argument can you explain how it is so only w.r.t the front (I don't have a problem with the e90's sides and rear).

The interior i too favor the e46, except the clusters where in the e46 it is abit bland.

I read somewhere that the designer of the e90 was a Japanese (and not a "German" if you know what i mean). IMO alot of the curves and interior bits resembles alot of Japanese cars (not to disrespect), one part in particular the dip down of the front arm rest which i already mentioned. Alot of Japanese cars have this design..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #65
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aem
Just for the record I'm an e46 coupe fanboy ONLY.

You say that the e90 exterior design is vastly superior than the e90. For the sake of this argument can you explain how it is so only w.r.t the front (I don't have a problem with the e90's sides and rear).

The interior i too favor the e46, except the clusters where in the e46 it is abit bland.

I read somewhere that the designer of the e90 was a Japanese (and not a "German" if you know what i mean). IMO alot of the curves and interior bits resembles alot of Japanese cars (not to disrespect), one part in particular the dip down of the front arm rest which i already mentioned. Alot of Japanese cars have this design..
I agree 100% with your interior comment, I like the E46 more except for the dials where the E90 is improved.

As for the designer, yes he is japanese... He is also the same guy who designed the E39 5-series and that car is as german/BMW looking as you can get, and also served as the spiritual basis of the E46. So I don't think his nationality/heritage has much play in how his designs look. Most designers of the international car brands are from all over the world, Benz's former head of design was an italian not a german.

As for how I believe the front end of the E90 is superior to the E46 specifically... Well I believe with these designs its hard to sweeze out just the front end and talk about that, it is part of the larger design of the car. For example the entire front end (including hood) seems to flow more naturally in this car with the new "tubes" concept that BMW uses. So there is the main tube which is where the front bumper and front fenders occupy, then on top of that tube is another strong tube where the hood crease is. This design arose from the E39 which had the strong hood which started from the A-pillar. This design elemment was lost on the E46 (until the facelift) but is now back. I think it gives the car a very modern and powerful look at the same time. I also love the headlights because they give the car a rigid and bussiness like stance (ala e36) with its squared inner parts, but at the same time let you know its from today with the pointed ends. Also the lack of scallops in the headlamps gives it a much cleaner look (less fussy). Cleaner sometimes is translated as booring or uninspired, but to pull off a truly clean look is actually very difficult. Also from the front view the car has a very strong look because of how the top tube (ie cabin area) merges downward to the wheels in an A shape rather then the more O shape of the E46..

This is just a little bit, its hard to go into more without talking about the whole car..
      02-18-2006, 08:30 PM   #66
imageWIS
Audi Roamer…
Rep

Smile

Quote:

Your Audi A4 is better than E90? Car reviews out there don't seem to agree. but hey, whatever floats your boat. Thats what matters. Honestly, Im glad Audi A4 exists. It has uglier rear taillights than the E90. Making us look better.

I like my (A4) front end more, the front of the 3 looks like they had no idea what to make. The kidney grill is horrible, IMHO. The spy shoots of the forthcoming coupe look like they went back to the traditional grill design.

Every 3 series should aim to improve upon the E30 design, if it fails to do so, then the company is taking a step back. Bangles Bungles are really sad, and his philosophy of basing his car designs on buildings is just ridiculous.

Jon.

Appreciate 0