BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #1
Landman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3 Jet Black DCT

New Muffler

Hello all,
I previously wrote a thread on my 2010 e90 M3 that was making a really funky sound between 2,400 and 2,600 rpms. It almost goes completely away once I warm up the car. So I assumed it was just a loose bracket or something. Well I took it into the shop yesterday and they said it was going to be $1,900 because one of the welds had broken in the muffler ($1,650 of that cost actually being the new muffler cost). So I have a few questions:

1. Does $1,900 seem like a reasonable amount for a new muffler? Do they really cost $1,650 brand new?

2. I've seen real cheap mufflers for sale on these forums. Do you guys think that would be the way to go? Buy one off here and have the shop install?

3. If I was going to spend $1,900 on a new muffler, cant I just get a whole new aftermarket exhaust for almost that much?

Appreciate any input here, as I'm not as technical as most of you on this board.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landman View Post
Hello all,
I previously wrote a thread on my 2010 e90 M3 that was making a really funky sound between 2,400 and 2,600 rpms. It almost goes completely away once I warm up the car. So I assumed it was just a loose bracket or something. Well I took it into the shop yesterday and they said it was going to be $1,900 because one of the welds had broken in the muffler ($1,650 of that cost actually being the new muffler cost). So I have a few questions:

1. Does $1,900 seem like a reasonable amount for a new muffler? Do they really cost $1,650 brand new?

2. I've seen real cheap mufflers for sale on these forums. Do you guys think that would be the way to go? Buy one off here and have the shop install?

3. If I was going to spend $1,900 on a new muffler, cant I just get a whole new aftermarket exhaust for almost that much?

Appreciate any input here, as I'm not as technical as most of you on this board.

Whatever you do, don't buy new. You can buy used OEM mufflers here for very low money. I've seen guys almost give them away because there's not much of a market for oem. Recently I saw one for sale for less than $100 and the seller didn't have any takers for awhile. Check the for sale section here.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Landman
Enlisted Member
Rep

That is great news. Thanks.
This next question will really show my ignorance: are they small enough to be shipped? Or will I need to wait until someone is selling a used oem exhaust in Oklahoma?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landman View Post
That is great news. Thanks.
This next question will really show my ignorance: are they small enough to be shipped? Or will I need to wait until someone is selling a used oem exhaust in Oklahoma?

Yes, they can be shipped no problem and it's done all the time. The for sale ads will list whether the seller is willing to ship and for how much extra. I believe some guys ship large items using greyhound bus service but not sure on the details.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Being in OK, honestly don't know the M3 car scene too much out there. Check the regional section of the forum for someone close by that might have a muffler laying around. Is it the muffler (section 2) or the front piece with your catalytic converters (section 1)?

If it's the section 2, you could upgrade the muffler only for about the price the shop quoted.

It's a big piece (stock) and doesn't ship easily, albeit doable.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Broken welds that can't be welded...hmm, sounds like a typical bimmer dealer. Ss the guys say, get a new for a small sum and call it a day.
I got a bad noise in my oem (modded), turned out to be the two steel sheets (its double) coming lose and create bad resonanse. Whether you have a similar issue, my guys fixed it by drilling a bunch of wholes from where the welded the sheets together. All back to normal sound...😊

Edit: And my was the same i.e. made noise when cold only.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
For $1900 you can buy a decent aftermarket exhaust and improve your M3's sound. That said, buy a used muffler, or have your muffler modded. Either way it's a win.
      09-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
Landman
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll probably post a "WTB" item in the for sale section on here looking for a muffler.
Appreciate 0