BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
MikeeM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 600whp M4

Looking to know more about Superchargers...

Hi guys,

Im 100% new to Superchargers and im currently doing a lot of reading in order to know the most i can about whats involved in going F/I.

I am currently FBO (full exhaust, catless pipes, stage 2 intake, pulleys, Evolve tune).

Is there some of my bolt on parts that can still be used with the add of a supercharger?

Is the added power means i more durable clutch is needed on my 6MT?

I suck at mechanics so is there a lot of maintenance involved? I was reading that the S/C needs oil changes every 5-7k? Is this something i can perform myself with help of friends or im better brining the car at a shop?

My goal is not to break any power records but i would like to gain some decent power without spending 10 000$.

Im open to all suggestions/recommandations

Cheers
-Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
Evolve Automotive
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 . E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeeM3 View Post
Hi guys,

Im 100% new to Superchargers and im currently doing a lot of reading in order to know the most i can about whats involved in going F/I.

I am currently FBO (full exhaust, catless pipes, stage 2 intake, pulleys, Evolve tune).

Is there some of my bolt on parts that can still be used with the add of a supercharger?

I suck at mechanics so is there a lot of maintenance involved? I was reading that the S/C needs oil changes every 5-7k? Is this something i can perform myself with help of friends or im better brining the car at a shop?

My goal is not to break any power records but i would like to gain some decent power without spending 10 000$.

Im open to all suggestions/recommandations

Cheers
-Mike
Mike,

Great questions, let me do my best to answer any questions you have.

1. You can keep your full catless exhaust system as that will be a huge help in making the maximum power with your supercharger kit.

2. Really depends on the mileage of your car. We have customers running our kit with as low as 10xxx miles up to 60xxx miles on the stock clutch. Depending on the kit you purchase it should be fine for sometime. But always recommended when power is increased to upgraded if you have the funds. I would also consider running upgraded bearings if you have not already.

3. Oil changes on the e9x are fairly simple, you can do them on your own or with your friends. Installing a kit can be something you can do as well but we suggest having someone who is a professional do it just to save you time and money.

if you have any questions feel free to pm me or post here. Plenty of info on all the kits that are available by doing a quick search.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
MikeeM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve-US View Post
Mike,

Great questions, let me do my best to answer any questions you have.

1. You can keep your full catless exhaust system as that will be a huge help in making the maximum power with your supercharger kit.

2. Really depends on the mileage of your car. We have customers running our kit with as low as 10xxx miles up to 60xxx miles on the stock clutch. Depending on the kit you purchase it should be fine for sometime. But always recommended when power is increased to upgraded if you have the funds. I would also consider running upgraded bearings if you have not already.

3. Oil changes on the e9x are fairly simple, you can do them on your own or with your friends. Installing a kit can be something you can do as well but we suggest having someone who is a professional do it just to save you time and money.

if you have any questions feel free to pm me or post here. Plenty of info on all the kits that are available by doing a quick search.

Thank you for taking some of your time to answer my questions

Im at 70k on my OEM clutch... no slips and she still grips fine i guess i can avoid the clutch change for now since i will be only driving the car 4-5 months per year with no drag racing or track !!

As for the oil changes, im already performing my engine oil changes at home myself i was making reference at the "blower fluid" !!

As for the tune, can you guys supply me a map since im already running the EvolveR tune? Im thinking about buying the kit used so it would be very practical if i can avoid spending another 1000$ on a new tune !!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
Joe S
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

The Harrop SC is a quality bolt on kit with great low end torque
      09-13-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Not much more to be said, but ill chime in a little..

Quote:

You can keep your exhaust mods (and highly recommended you do so, as the car will make more power with a catless setup), but the rest (tune, pulleys and intake must go)

Quote:
An aftermarket clutch wouldn't hurt, but if you go with a smaller kit it wouldn't be necessary in my opinion. Lots of people are running 600+hp setups with the stock clutch.

Quote:
You will need to change the SC oil every 5-7k miles like you said (super easy and cheap to do), plus I would recommend doing your engine oil at the same time as your SC oil if you don't already run more frequent oil changes. Spark plugs should be done every 15k miles tops for good measure, and besides that, maintenance is pretty much the same as before.

Quote:
Sounds like you would be happy with the ESS VT1-550 kit. The car will retain stock driveability/reliability, but there will be a very noticeable power increase when you need/want it. These kits can be picked up dirt cheap on the used market. I paid $4000.00 for mine (locally) with custom black supercharger ($300 option) and carbon fiber manifold ($1500 option). My kit was almost $9000 when new, and I got it for basically a fraction of the cost.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Have any supercharged users upgraded their clutches?

What is the recommended aftermarket upgrade for an ESS625 kit or is the best thing just to renew the stock clutch if it starts slipping?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
MikeeM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
Not much more to be said, but ill chime in a little..

Sounds like you would be happy with the ESS VT1-550 kit. The car will retain stock driveability/reliability, but there will be a very noticeable power increase when you need/want it. These kits can be picked up dirt cheap on the used market. I paid $4000.00 for mine (locally) with custom black supercharger ($300 option) and carbon fiber manifold ($1500 option). My kit was almost $9000 when new, and I got it for basically a fraction of the cost.
Thanks

Looks like you were very lucky to find a deal like that

Whats your overall review on the kit?? Im currently at 485bhp with my FBO set-up so my goal would be to break in the 600-650bhp range with the S/C kit i just dont feel the necessity to upgrade to F/I and spend 4-5000$ to only break into the 5xxbhp club ...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Thanks

Looks like you were very lucky to find a deal like that

Whats your overall review on the kit?? Im currently at 485bhp with my FBO set-up so my goal would be to break in the 600-650bhp range with the S/C kit i just dont feel the necessity to upgrade to F/I and spend 4-5000$ to only break into the 5xxbhp club ...
I'm around 585 bhp and 381lb ft with primary cat delete and oem exhaust mod. nothing else besides my 550 kit. You may want to look into the 595 kit instead. That should be good for around 615bhp with exhaust mods.

I love my setup. I'm finding myself getting used to the power but everytime I step on the gas in any gear below 4th I get a smile on my face from ear to ear. I wouldn't have the car any other way and could never go back to OEM
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Have any supercharged users upgraded their clutches?

What is the recommended aftermarket upgrade for an ESS625 kit or is the best thing just to renew the stock clutch if it starts slipping?
Shady1 has a Spec clutch and I do believe he's running a VF650 kit. Squartus, IIRC, is going w/an upgraded clutch in his new build, as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #10
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
The Harrop SC is a quality bolt on kit with great low end torque
if Harrops are less than $10,000 sign me up.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

The harrops cost 10g before install and extras, but its the one I am going to go with as I think its the best for low end power and torque. You have to consider rod bearing replacement if you have not done it, water pump needs to be working great as cooling is more of an issue with an SC and its not a bad time to replace a radiator if you are in the 8-10 year ago model years. Some people go as far as replacing the alternator as its hard to get to once the kit is bolted on. My quote on all that and a couple other odds and ends was around 15k at an indy shop.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0