BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Dinan vs Active exhaust - how different are they from each other?

I'm sure a lot of you have already seen this video:

I know there can be a big difference in audio recording equipment and maybe that's what explains this video...but it does surprise me that the Dinan sounds about the same as the Active Signature exhaust. From everything I've read on this forum, most folks consider Active's setup quite a bit louder than Dinan's. Is this just a case of poor recording? I really can't tell much of a difference between the two.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #2
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

I have the full DINAN setup and there is no drone at all. I had a friend with a E90 M3 and he has stock mids with the Active exhaust and he said he has drone noise. His exhaust is a little deeper sounding at lower rpm's too. Not sure if this helps, but take it for what its worth.

Best of Luck

GTS
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
I have the full DINAN setup and there is no drone at all. I had a friend with a E90 M3 and he has stock mids with the Active exhaust and he said he has drone noise. His exhaust is a little deeper sounding at lower rpm's too. Not sure if this helps, but take it for what its worth.

Best of Luck
Thanks a lot for the post. That's good to hear that the Dinan system doesn't drone when you add their midpipe. I know a lot of systems do drone when you add the mid section.

Question on Dinan's midpipe: is it "catless", meaning that you remove BOTH the OEM primary and secondary cats?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
nevin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AA

I have AA, i can't vouch for Dinan cause i've only had it on a old 325. The AA sounds amazing. I had to put cats on to pass inspection and i can't tell a difference from when i didn't have them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I have the full AA system with HFC's. I had it catless but the smell was killing me. The dinan is only catless for offroad use. With the cats its a little bit quieter, but truthfully I think it sounds better. Without the cats I felt like there was some raspiness. The drone is minimal. Idle noise is also minimal. Its a great system and the guys at AA provide great service. Besides, the Dinan black tips do not look right IMO. Actives larger tips look great when polished and set up flush to the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i heard that the dinan is barely any louder than stock,...or any different sounding...is this true...i find all the comparison vids confusing cause i cant rmbr shit by the end.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

i hate how only the tips are black and the canisters silver, looks terrible.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
i hate how only the tips are black and the canisters silver, looks terrible.
Agreed. The tips aren't that nice either.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I think the AA is louder than the Dinan.

If you wanna be conservative and have a slight upgrade in sound, I'd go with the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I think the AA is louder than the Dinan.

If you wanna be conservative and have a slight upgrade in sound, I'd go with the Dinan.
Thanks Nawaaz. I know you've been around this block a few times....so your advice is helpful. My trick is I think I want to eventually add an upgraded xpipe w/HFC's for added performance (hp/torque)...but I know that I need to be careful with the rear exhaust selection because adding the xpipe to the wrong exhaust can make it REALLY loud. I just want a "sporty" sound (louder than stock and noticeable that it's not stock)....but not so loud that it drones or causes problems for passengers in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
miamie92m3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I honestly can tell you that the AA muffler alone will not annoy your passengers. I have the full system and it does not bother my wife and she is very sensitive to noise. JMO. I'm sure the Dinan muffler is great too though. I personally just think the Dinan system looks bad (black tips look like they are always dirty) and remember AA muffler incorporates NCC's which the stock exhaust has too. They are there to eliminate/reduce drone. Your best bet is to ride in someones car who has these exhaust systems before you buy.
Appreciate 0