BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

So I spent some time....

...behind the wheel of a Space Grey ///M3 yesterday, and was thoroughly impressed. Up until this point, I had only driven a sedan (..which I loved equally), but I was eager to drive a coupe in hopes that it would assist me in narrowing down which body style I'd prefer. It didn't! What this test drive did allow me to determine was that I could do without the Technology package. Sure, MDM/EDC is cool, but it isn't something that I'd utilize very often, so it isn't worth the extra cost (..despite the fact that I will still order NAV). The change between the 3 settings is noticeable however.

This particular coupe was fully loaded with the exception being that it didn't have 19" wheels. This was the first time that I had seen the 18's in person, and they looked great when paired w/ SG (..as well as the SSII sedan that the dealer had as well). I wasn't originally a fan of Space Grey or Sparkling Graphite (..or JB for that matter), but after being able to eye a few examples with 18" wheels, I might reconsider. Space Grey with the 18's really looks good!

A buddy and I traded off during the test drive as we were looking to assess different things about the car (...he owns an Imola Red SMG ///M3). He found the E92 to offer a noticeable improvement over the E46. In addition, we weren't allowed to eclipse 5500 RPM, so there is still much to be experienced with this car. We did manage to play with the various settings in IDrive, and found them to be comprehensive.

The shifter is...IMHO...familiar, precise, well weighted and equivalent to, if not better than the 6MT in the E46 ///M3. I felt right at home behind the wheel of the E92.

As stated earlier, this particular test drive did nothing to help me narrow down which body style that I preferred. It only served to solidify the fact that this is a thoroughly enjoyable car, and I'm looking forward to the trade up.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
bmstyle71
Captain
Rep
Drives: jet black e92 m3

get a coupe unless you have kids and what not and get the tech package i just saved you lots of thinking
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Go for the coupe!
      05-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
exadius
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 M-DCT

Do you plan on ever selling the car. Consider resale when choosing options. You must not be in the US. We have no choice if we want NAV, you get MDM/EDC. If every one else is getting MDM/EDC in your area you will need it if you want to sell it for a fair price.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Dude the 18's and coupes is awesome, and the 19's and sedans are ok too.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exadius View Post
Do you plan on ever selling the car. Consider resale when choosing options. You must not be in the US. We have no choice if we want NAV, you get MDM/EDC. If every one else is getting MDM/EDC in your area you will need it if you want to sell it for a fair price.
Actually I'm in So.Cal.

I've never had a problem with resale. You're talking to somebody who owned a PY/IR ///M3........the most controversial color combo ever witnessed on an E46 ///M3 (..often called the Ronald McDonald car). I've never opted for a complete package (..i.e..premium, cold weather, etc.) on either E46 ///M3 that I've owned, and both of my ///M3's had no moonroofs (..the most recent Comp.Pkg Interlagos has cloth rather than leather). I had no problem selling that PY/IR. In fact, there were a few people who made offers to buy it, and contacted my dealership to see if they could talk me into selling it. I ended up selling it for an '04 G35 (..bad mistake!). I guess my point is, resale is the last of my worries.

As for NAV, it is available as a stand-alone option, so I don't need need MDM/EDC.

After seeing the pictures of the Phoenix Yellow E92 ///M3 coupe, I may wait and see if they offer that for MY09. If they do, I'm all for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Unless you have kids, I'd get the coupe. Performance is one thing but I just can't get pass the sedan's fugly look (read: rear-end). PY is bada$$!!! My cousin has a PY e46 M3 & I'm feeling it though I think it's an acquired taste. My e92 M3 is already in production but now that I think about it, I wish I didn't get the premium package since I really want the Speed cloth/leather seats. Not feeling the 18's especially when I saw them in person though I see what you're saying w/them looking good w/SG. Still, only way I'd rock them is on the track since I wouldn't care for looks on the track. Good luck w/whichever option(s) you choose.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking Futs! View Post
Unless you have kids, I'd get the coupe. Performance is one thing but I just can't get pass the sedan's fugly look (read: rear-end). PY is bada$$!!! My cousin has a PY e46 M3 & I'm feeling it though I think it's an acquired taste. My e92 M3 is already in production but now that I think about it, I wish I didn't get the premium package since I really want the Speed cloth/leather seats. Not feeling the 18's especially when I saw them in person though I see what you're saying w/them looking good w/SG. Still, only way I'd rock them is on the track since I wouldn't care for looks on the track. Good luck w/whichever option(s) you choose.
I'll just remove the Blacklines off of my 330i sedan. Those tail lights really clean up the rear end of the E90 sedan.

+2 on PY! I hope that BMW offers PY for the coupe for MY09. Those pictures that surfaced of the PY E92 really put a smile on my face.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'll just remove the Blacklines off of my 330i sedan. Those tail lights really clean up the rear end of the E90 sedan.

+2 on PY! I hope that BMW offers PY for the coupe for MY09. Those pictures that surfaced of the PY E92 really put a smile on my face.
Those blacklines would mos def help! You would think BMW would offer a wild (yellow) color w/this generation M3 but I guess not yet (if at all). I loved both yellow's in the previous gen's (Dakar Yellow & Phoenix Yellow) but I guess BMW doesn't.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking Futs! View Post
Those blacklines would mos def help! You would think BMW would offer a wild (yellow) color w/this generation M3 but I guess not yet (if at all). I loved both yellow's in the previous gen's (Dakar Yellow & Phoenix Yellow) but I guess BMW doesn't.

Did you see the PY E92 ///M3 thread?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Did you see the PY E92 ///M3 thread?
Yup saw it already but I was saying BMW doesn't like yellow enough to make it a standard color option instead of an individual option (not available in the states).

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0