BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #45
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
You may be right about the M3 ticking all the boxes but the only reason the M3 is more successful than the M5 and the M6 is the price. The vast majority of people and I count myself cannot afford an M5/M6 even though for the looks I prefer the M6. So I will fall back on the M3, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Price will play it's part in the decision but look at the rest of the M3's package and you will see why I believe I am right about this. The M6 is among a lot of competition much the same as the M3 but it sells far less M6 than a lot of it's rivals which is the total opposite to the M3's sales against it's rivals.

The M3 is a more complete package than either the M6 or any other M model on sale.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #46
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
it is still a 4x4
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #47
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

...?^
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #48
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
...?^
lol its a gorgeous car, however even with lowered suspension it has wheel gap galore haha
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #49
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Price will play it's part in the decision but look at the rest of the M3's package and you will see why I believe I am right about this. The M6 is among a lot of competition much the same as the M3 but it sells far less M6 than a lot of it's rivals which is the total opposite to the M3's sales against it's rivals.

The M3 is a more complete package than either the M6 or any other M model on sale.
From that angle that makes a lot of sense.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #50
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
From that angle that makes a lot of sense.
Thankyou, someone else with more than half a brain.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #51
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post

+1, the M3 stands at the top of all its competitors.

The M6 stands with a lot of other top performing cars and I would say that 3-4 years ago it stood out, but it has not kept up and it is pretty commonplace now. For the $$$ there is alot of other choices.

In Canada its price is so high that there are tons of better cars for the same or less.

BMW needs to take that next leap in the new M cars, M5 and M6 specifically. They have quite a challenge given the existing economy.

The need to loose weight, make a better tranny, simplify the car but still keep the M roots. The engine is really the strongest point of the car. If they go TT then that is fine, as long as it revs.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #52
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam12345 View Post
lol its a gorgeous car, however even with lowered suspension it has wheel gap galore haha
Wheel gap? What wheel gap?

04-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #53
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
+1, the M3 stands at the top of all its competitors.

The M6 stands with a lot of other top performing cars and I would say that 3-4 years ago it stood out, but it has not kept up and it is pretty commonplace now. For the $$$ there is alot of other choices.

In Canada its price is so high that there are tons of better cars for the same or less.

BMW needs to take that next leap in the new M cars, M5 and M6 specifically. They have quite a challenge given the existing economy.

The need to loose weight, make a better tranny, simplify the car but still keep the M roots. The engine is really the strongest point of the car. If they go TT then that is fine, as long as it revs.

I wouldn't agree that the M6 ever stood out or was at the top of it's category. The only thing the M6 could claim to be really good at was acceleration and even now it still is right up there with the best of them, but else where the package was poor in execution. It's handling is substandard in this category, it's build quality and specialness is also well below the rest of it's rivals.

The problem the M6 has is it's price, for this money it's up against much better competition which isn't the case with the M3 or even the M5. BMW in my opinion seen an opportunity to make a quick buck and fitted a CF roof and some other choice equipment which did very little to improve the car's ability beyond the M5 and yet they asked and got people to spend £18K more for the expectation of superior performance that for the most part hasn't materialized.

You look at the M3 and you really can't think of one rival that offers more performance, ability, practicality or value, now try the same thing with the M6 and see just how many rivals you can come up with the not only equal it but beat it comprehensively.

Weight isn't the only problem that faces the M6, it's an £80K car that in it's own brand has a car which beats it in almost all levels for less than 2/3rd it's price. You could argue that the same thing is true in the Porsche line-up but unlike the 911 the M6 isn't an Icon and I doubt it ever will be.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #54
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

+1, I think the UK price for the M6 is crazy.

M5 is a better car for at least more practicality.
Appreciate 0