BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
diononiz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cab

Softer riding tires for OEM 19 inch rims

Just switched from the 18s to the 19s. Both sets of tires had Michelin pilot sports (in stock sizes) but the 19s seem to be riding firmer than expected. To put this into perspective, I switched from 18s to 20s on a 08 535i and the switch seemed far less dramatic. (the tires were the OEM dunlops on the 18s and Toyo T1Rs on the 20s) I understand the suspension is softer on the 5 series and the stock 18s had runflats but I was not expecting the change from 18s to 19s on the m3 to be so substantial.

I was thinking of switching tires as I dont really drive my m3 cab that aggressively on the street. What you guys think? Also any recommendations? I thought the toyos I had on the 20s were OK nothing great. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

switch to an all season tire...summer tires typically have firmer sidewalls which create a stiffer ride
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
saildoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

go back to 18"s

I started out with OEM 19"s which came with conti sport contact tires. They were noisy and rode hard. The dealer was nice enough to let me trade out for a set of OEM19"s with Pilot Sport II's. They were softer riding but just as noisy. I switched those to Yoko advan sports. Much quieter but harsher riding-I am ok with that. Of the three 19" tires that fit the stock wheels (there are not that many) the pilot sports had the most comfortable ride. Good luck with your quest....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

As mentioned, you're going to have to step down from 'summer' tires, which are overkill for most of us anyway. The next step down is 'ultra high-performance all-season', and next is 'high-performance all-season'. Even the last ones should provide more than ample performance for the street, and should definitely be quieter, ride better, and last longer.

More than the ride, I'm getting tired of the damn tire roar. Will be watching your thread. Yokohama is an excellent tire indeed, but you should start by finding out which high-performance all-season tires are available in stock sizes (there're not many), and read some reviews, as I doubt anybody here has switched to all-season. Good luck man, and please keep us posted on your progress and observations.
Appreciate 0