BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Howcome nobody has done this yet?

I'm having a hard time justifying the price of the X-pipes currently available for our cars. My main priority is to have a free flowing system without the resonators and cat. Sure, an X-pipe will do the job but IMO everything available is a bit over priced for a pipe that any moron can put together. Its an X-pipe, not really rocket science...

So what I want to try and do is simply cutout the resonators and cats, and replace them with straight pipes. All together it should cost no more then 200$ to get the job done. I did this on my E46 M3. While it did add a ton of volume, the rasp was almost too much to handle. It sounded a bit ricey and I ended up going a different route. However, the E46 was raspy to begin with (we all know several companies that have tried different ways to get rid of the rasp, few were successfull)... What would happen with the new V8? Do you guys think I will get too much rasp?

If anyone has tried this please post any comments/videos etc...

This video has been on YouTube for a while. I emailed the owner and never got a response as to exactly what he means by "basically stright pipes with magnaflow tips". He might of just chopped the muffler off and got some pipes to come out to the bumper and welded on some tips. I would NEVER want that, its basically a performance downgrade. But he could of also meant that he did what I am trying to do, and is using the stock muffler with some magnaflow tips welded on. I like the sound. I wish we can get some more info on what this guy did. Either way I bet he spent no more then 200$ and it sounded better then most of the aftermarket stuff out there! IMO of course.

02-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Unique has done this mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M PWR 00 View Post
I'm having a hard time justifying the price of the X-pipes currently available for our cars. My main priority is to have a free flowing system without the resonators and cat. Sure, an X-pipe will do the job but IMO everything available is a bit over priced for a pipe that any moron can put together. Its an X-pipe, not really rocket science...

So what I want to try and do is simply cutout the resonators and cats, and replace them with straight pipes. All together it should cost no more then 200$ to get the job done. I did this on my E46 M3. While it did add a ton of volume, the rasp was almost too much to handle. It sounded a bit ricey and I ended up going a different route. However, the E46 was raspy to begin with (we all know several companies that have tried different ways to get rid of the rasp, few were successfull)... What would happen with the new V8? Do you guys think I will get too much rasp?

If anyone has tried this please post any comments/videos etc...

This video has been on YouTube for a while. I emailed the owner and never got a response as to exactly what he means by "basically stright pipes with magnaflow tips". He might of just chopped the muffler off and got some pipes to come out to the bumper and welded on some tips. I would NEVER want that, its basically a performance downgrade. But he could of also meant that he did what I am trying to do, and is using the stock muffler with some magnaflow tips welded on. I like the sound. I wish we can get some more info on what this guy did. Either way I bet he spent no more then 200$ and it sounded better then most of the aftermarket stuff out there! IMO of course.

That guy is actually on this forum, and he did just chop the muffler off and got some pipes to come out to the bumper and welded on some tips.

Alot of people on this forum actually have done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
Unique has done this mod.

He doesn't have that exhaust setup anymore, it wasn't loud enough for him. He currently has the same exhaust system I have. Elite.
      02-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
rfoss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

What do people think a cat delete alone would do for sound/loudness on an aftermarket system like remus sport? I just installed the milltek sport system which I think sounds pretty close to remus sport. Great sound, but a little quiet and I was thinking up taking out the secondary cat. Has anyone tried this and if so how'd it sound? I'm afraid the resonator delete would drone like crazy....Thoughts?
      02-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
boostedtwin
Sheriff
Rep
Drives: spyder, Macan GTS, 4xe Rubicon

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
07 335i  [0.00]
If you are going to remove the cats, remember you'll get a CEL so you need AA or some other software to erase that. I suggest you remove the 4 cats and leave the resonator in place, then you can change the rear section with a REmus or something else. That should do it.
      02-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

I have done the mod using the X-pipe and it sounds a lil raspy. But the sound changes to a whole other level and it just makes the car sing.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203152

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
rfoss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

So I already replaced the rear section, but want a little more volume. I thought that removing the secondary cats wouldn't trigger a code (only removing the primary cats does that since they're hooked up to the O2 sensors). Am I wrong?
      02-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
boostedtwin
Sheriff
Rep
Drives: spyder, Macan GTS, 4xe Rubicon

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
07 335i  [0.00]
You are right, secondary cats will not give you a code. Try it, it will get a little louder for sure. If you remove the resonators, you'll get drone.
      02-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfoss View Post
So I already replaced the rear section, but want a little more volume. I thought that removing the secondary cats wouldn't trigger a code (only removing the primary cats does that since they're hooked up to the O2 sensors). Am I wrong?
You are correct only removing the primaries will cause a code.

To the OP You can also just get the Super Sprint x pipe. It deletes the rear resonators and rear cats with an X. Its only 500$ and its bolt on.

Problem is deleting the resonators is what causes drone. Thats why AA xpipe just deletes all the cats and leaves the resonators. I would suggest going to an exhaust shop and have them delete your cats and put an x and leave the resonators.

I agree the AA X-pipe is nice but not nearly worth the 2000$ they want for it.

User name lmims526894rou

Or contact me at chrism9551@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I had an X5 4.6 and did the resonator delete with an X-pipe. It made it a little louder and deeper but very tolerable. I'm also waiting for someone to do this because I'd like a little more volume out of the Bastuck exhaust.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep

Must I use an x pipe ?? Can't I just install straight pipes in place of the res or cats?
      02-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Must I use an x pipe ?? Can't I just install straight pipes in place of the res or cats?
you can an x just helps with even flow... and H pipe would probly sound nice and add some torque

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep

How big of an h pipe ? What are the cons of an h pipe? I can't wait to experiment
      02-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
xxo0oxx
Private
Rep
Drives: m3 e92

I had deleted the secondary cats and the reso's,installed a direct pipe instead and the car sound amaizing but still too quite. ill try get some videos

about the CEL no issues with that only if your thinking about deleting the front cats and am willing to do that just wating for my local tuner to get back to me so i could delete the o2 sensors
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
How big of an h pipe ? What are the cons of an h pipe? I can't wait to experiment
Traditionally H pipes cause you to loose a few HP up top compared to an X pipe But give you more torque down low (where this car needs it). I think it would be interesting to see the gains. Also H pipes have more of a deep tone where X pipes are more raspy.

Heres a great comparison

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

FWIW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
Traditionally H pipes cause you to loose a few HP up top compared to an X pipe But give you more torque down low (where this car needs it). I think it would be interesting to see the gains. Also H pipes have more of a deep tone where X pipes are more raspy.

Heres a great comparison
i'm running a 3" H-pipe setup with no resonators...although i cannot tell you exactly how much the H-pipe configuration has increased torque, i know for a fact (dyno) that i've increased my torque significantly with my exhaust setup, pulley, scoops, and afe filter. i will not call these results law, because they were done on different dynamometers, but it's relatively close. the top chart is bone stock, the bottom chart is post-mods (first batch ). here are my results:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #17
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep

Blake any pics of your setup? Videos?
      02-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #18
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Blake any pics of your setup? Videos?
ahh i wish i had pix on this computer, and my desktop that's got all my pics is out of commission right now, but here's a video on youtube:

video quality sucks sorry, i was using my old sony point and shoot camera.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #19
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
i'm running a 3" H-pipe setup with no resonators...although i cannot tell you exactly how much the H-pipe configuration has increased torque, i know for a fact (dyno) that i've increased my torque significantly with my exhaust setup, pulley, scoops, and afe filter. i will not call these results law, because they were done on different dynamometers, but it's relatively close. the top chart is bone stock, the bottom chart is post-mods (first batch ). here are my results:
wow nice TQ gains....

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 02:32 AM   #20
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep

So blake are you running any cats?

What do you think of removing the secondary cats and replacing with H-pipe. I would leave in the resonator and swap the muffler for remus race. What kind of sound do you think I will get. I would prefer deeper & throatier over obnoxiously loud and raspy. I do want it to be loud though, dont get me wrong.
      02-11-2009, 02:48 AM   #21
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #22
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So blake are you running any cats?

What do you think of removing the secondary cats and replacing with H-pipe. I would leave in the resonator and swap the muffler for remus race. What kind of sound do you think I will get. I would prefer deeper & throatier over obnoxiously loud and raspy. I do want it to be loud though, dont get me wrong.
i've got cats, just no resonators, or "secondary cats." my exhaust is too loud for my taste, which is why i'm replacing the mufflers, but remus is a great choice for deep, throaty exhaust grunt. i'm a big fan of remus myself, more so than eisenmann. IMHO, remus will do you fine, even if you remove the resonators. you'll benefit a lot by doing custom pipes without the resonators as well. buy some universal remus mufflers and have a good exhaust shop near you put them on with custom pipes. you'll save money and you'll be happier with the result.
Appreciate 0