BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
SeOuLm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Members with Spring, Please Chime in

hello all,

I'm waiting on my 2011 M3 convert. and had few questions to ya'll.

my car would come with OEM EDC and I decided to go with Springs (I haven't decided which one yet)

my question is,

are you guys having any problem with any camber wear? My friend has Eibach spring on his M3, and he has to change his tires almost every 10k miles, and that's something that I dont want to deal with.

would this be due to wrong alignment? could it be solved with proper alignment?

I narrowed down to Eibach or H&R for now, I just need to do more search.

Thanks in advanced.~!

Last edited by SeOuLm3; 05-23-2011 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
When you change springs you need to have the alignment redone. That solve any problem with tire wear.

What is you objective with the springs, to improve handling or lower the car. I have the Dinan spring set and camber plates. Short of coil-over suspension, I think Dinan is the best compromise setup for handling vs. comfort.

Dave
      05-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
SeOuLm3
Private First Class
Rep

^
my friend has been to couple different alignment shops, and none of them were able to solve the problem of camber wear I guess he needs to find the RIGHT shop to do the proper alignment?

my objective is to lower the car a little bit and I dont wanna go with coils since I want to use my OEM EDC.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeOuLm3 View Post
^
my friend has been to couple different alignment shops, and none of them were able to solve the problem of camber wear I guess he needs to find the RIGHT shop to do the proper alignment?
At this point, he should stop trying to save a buck on alignment and have it done at his dealer.

For lowering, HR and Eibach are roughly equal, but you should get a revised bump-stop kit to restore a bit of the travel. These come with the Dinan kit, but there are DIY and aftermarket threads around here on how to do it.

Dave
      05-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
OP, keep in mind that the M3 already comes with some neg. camber on front and rear from factory. With that being said, you will always have some wear on the inner of the tires than on the outer. By lowering your car with springs, like everybody said, you will need to re-align your car, not only the camber is affected, but also the toe on both front and rear. I have H&Rs sports on my car and love it. Had them for about 15k miles so far. The car was aligned after the drop. The car is pretty much back to factory specs. or close to it. I took it to the dealer to get it align. The guy that aligned my car is a track instructor, he asked me how I wanted aligned and I told him to give it an agresive neg. camber on the front, for better traction on turns. I have not had any problems with the tires. The car has over 18k miles on it with just one alignment.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

+1...what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
When you change springs you need to have the alignment redone. That solve any problem with tire wear.

What is you objective with the springs, to improve handling or lower the car. I have the Dinan spring set and camber plates. Short of coil-over suspension, I think Dinan is the best compromise setup for handling vs. comfort.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
SeOuLm3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
OP, keep in mind that the M3 already comes with some neg. camber on front and rear from factory. With that being said, you will always have some wear on the inner of the tires than on the outer. By lowering your car with springs, like everybody said, you will need to re-align your car, not only the camber is affected, but also the toe on both front and rear. I have H&Rs sports on my car and love it. Had them for about 15k miles so far. The car was aligned after the drop. The car is pretty much back to factory specs. or close to it. I took it to the dealer to get it align. The guy that aligned my car is a track instructor, he asked me how I wanted aligned and I told him to give it an agresive neg. camber on the front, for better traction on turns. I have not had any problems with the tires. The car has over 18k miles on it with just one alignment.
thanks

can anyone provide me your alignment data so that I could take it to the dealer and ask them to do it the way it was done on your car?
my friend has been to a dealer, but they said that there isn't much they cant do..so I want to tell them exactly what they would need to do when I drop off my car.

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeOuLm3 View Post
thanks

can anyone provide me your alignment data so that I could take it to the dealer and ask them to do it the way it was done on your car?
my friend has been to a dealer, but they said that there isn't much they cant do..so I want to tell them exactly what they would need to do when I drop off my car.

thanks in advance.
Let me ask you this, on top of the front struts there are two rivets, one on each strut. You need to take them off in order for the strut to move and give you neg. or pos. camber. I wish I had a picture to post on here and show you, but I don't. The best thing would be to look on top of the struts and you should have the studs (3) that bolts on to the strut tower. If you have an extra small looking bolt like rivet, you need to take that off and it will give you plenty of adjustment. Give that a try.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0