BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

02-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #111
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

I'm glad I got Brembos too!! .. I've start to hear more bad things about stop techs.. time to STOP tech!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #112
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I'll never buy stop tech after reading this. Brembo here I come!
      02-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #113
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2 View Post
IMO.. It looks like your problem. Either you bought the wrong kind of brakes for your intended purpose or used the wrong cleaner.
+1

Though this really sucks! I noticed that it looks like there are streaks on the caliper itself. I as well think you used the wrong cleaner, how is it that hundreds of people with these brakes are satisfied but your the only "one" with an issue. Just my .02 and I hope the best for your resolution!

EDITED: TWO OTHERS OUT OF HUNDREDS HAVE THE ISSUE!

Last edited by STi_traitor; 02-02-2013 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #114
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
+1

Though this really sucks! I noticed that it looks like there are streaks on the caliper itself. I as well think you used the wrong cleaner, how is it that hundreds of people with these brakes are satisfied but your the only "one" with an issue. Just my .02 and I hope the best for your resolution!
He wasnt the only one..if you read through the thread you would have seen there was another member who posted up the exact same pictures
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 03:07 AM   #115
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
He wasnt the only one..if you read through the thread you would have seen there was another member who posted up the exact same pictures
Ok, I am not going to debate this on the guys thread, I was simply stating what I think it is. Plus I don't care to read another 6 pages to get my point across! To please you though I only spotted two others on here that posted ST brakes. To be honest with you they as well have heaving streaking on the calipers. This is a sign of someone using the wrong cleaner.

In no way am I against anyone here, just stating what I see. This is the same that ST is doing, basing their decision off what they see and know so if you sent them those pictures they may be thinking the same. Good luck OP!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #116
inandout
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4 Rings

I commented about the rust on another member's thread recently...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796770

I was really hoping to pick up the STs this spring. Not going to happen after reading this.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #117
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

I tried to read through all 6 pages, but forgive me if this has been said and I missed it.

It looks like the rust is confined to the fasteners. My guess would be it was either 1) a bad batch or 2) during the assembly process the coating (zinc or similar) that prevents rust was scratched enough to be removed.

Shame on StopTech for not dropping a set of rebuild hardware in the mail with a few stickers and saying they were sorry. However, I don't see this rust as being a ding on their quality (bad lots of fasteners happen) but it is a knock of their customer service. Hopefully they will make (or have made) it right with the OP.

If there are finish issues on the calipers themselves that's a bit more of an issue, but perhaps it's because they figure they are built for race applications where the users aren't going to care? Not that it's a good excuse, but perhaps it's at least a reason?

Anyway, hopefully StopTech makes this right. Good luck, OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #118
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I've seen Brembo's fade and the finish peel of too.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #119
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
I sell fasteners for a living. That rust is not the fasteners fault. Those are plain fasteners. IE there is no coating on those socket head cap screws that I could see. Even with zinc coated fasteners in that application you are going to get rust sooner or later depending on the area of the country you live in. Northern salt sprayed roads would assist that corrosion. Stainless could have been used, but if they were using an aluminum housing maybe that was nixed. .02
Fair enough and good info. So it's really on StopTech for fastener selection. And being someone who picks fasteners for things from time to time I'd imagine they had their reasons.

But in the case of a $6000 brake kit, if I were StopTech, I'd probably have said 'sorry' and sent some new hardware because it would be good customer service and good PR.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #120
maaicher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60cs5 View Post
Update -

Stoptech had agreed to help resolve these issues.

I contacted them earlier this week and because I "waited too long" they won't honor their promise to help. Previously, I wasn't able to get this taken care of as soon as I would like as they wanted me to ship them the brakes and I couldn't be down for a week or so while that happened. Ultimately, all I wanted some some replacement bolts and to take them up on an offer to replace other rusted hardware at 50% off.

FWIW - they were only willing to swap the bolts for free. No assistance resolving the issue other than that. No help providing me some basic info to rebuild them locally, etc

In the end, All I had asked for was for some replacement bolts and some info on rebuilding the brakes, (tech doc etc?) And I would keep the existing pastey, oxidized rotors, calipers. I'd also pay for the powdercoat.

IMO, the finish on certain areas may have been somewhat affected by a chemical in some way, however, I don't believe that that caused all the problems. I've had no finish issues on powdercoated wheels, other parts ,etc All the rotors look like crap - look at the pics!

More importantly, after buying $8,000 brakes, the company or their representative at least has never wanted to help fix this. Always dodging emails, making excuses as to why he didn't reply for weeks... (lost power, blah blah blah)

I wouldn't buy Stoptech brakes again, nor would I recommend them as the best option for brakes that hold up and look good over time.

And FWIW, there were other people that PM'd me with the same issues.

I gave them a chance to resolve this....They wouldn't even ship me replacement bolts and then decided not to honor a 50% discount promised on some other hardware... I Didn't expect one thing other than that. I accepted partial blame as I'm not entirely certain what happened. My car has only been washed a few times where I wasn't washing it and I've never needed to or would apply a harsh chemical. My car is PRISTINE, like new, other than the Stoptechs. I will post some more pics soon.

Not that impressive. I like my brakes, they just look like crap and their marketing guy is a d*&k.

Brembo FTW.
Wow this really sucks. Sorry to hear that they will no longer honor their offer. When they initially extended me the same offer I was hesitant, but I ended up going through with it and had to leave my car in the garage brake less for a few weeks. They replaced all the bolts, but did nothing about the finish. Overall I was upset with how everything was handled, but at least they did something. In the future I will be going with brembo every time.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #121
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaicher View Post
Yes i tried to wipe it down haha

and i don't use any brake cleaner as i mentioned in the start of the thread.

Nor should any chemicals be used to wash the calipers and rotors, especially when they are warm/hot to the touch. Car wash soap and water is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #122
DZeckhausen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
I sell fasteners for a living. That rust is not the fasteners fault. Those are plain fasteners. IE there is no coating on those socket head cap screws that I could see. Even with zinc coated fasteners in that application you are going to get rust sooner or later depending on the area of the country you live in. Northern salt sprayed roads would assist that corrosion. Stainless could have been used, but if they were using an aluminum housing maybe that was nixed. .02
Actually, they're Geomet coated fasteners. You can see the coating has dissolved, which is the shiny streaks running down the face of the calipers. That's classic acid exposure. The Trophy calipers on my C6 Corvette are several years old and still look like new.

If the goal is to get these brakes looking great again, check out the work of Mike Golding at http://thepowdercoater.com. He does some amazing powdercoating and is an expert at caliper rebuilding. He's famous on the Corvette forums.

StopTech probably won't just send new bolts because, to replace them on an ST-60 Trophy caliper requires removal of the cross-over tube. With corrosion, there may be a risk of stripping and things could go downhill fast with a DIY replacement. This is all within the abilities of Mike Golding, however. So he may be the best way to move forward and get this resolved.

Good luck!
      02-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #123
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

Lots of people are saying brembo FTW. For real? Only because of the finish on some bolts? Not saying that I don't care about the rust bolt if it is mine. IMO all the finish on any caliper will go bad. Use it a year on the track and who cares about finish? Don't judge a BBK by its look please.

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #124
STIHLBOLTS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2020 Z4 M4.0i  [5.00]
^ I went all the way back to the original post and zoomed in the pictures. Those sockets have a coating on them. Not seeing them personally I can't say if its paint, zinc coating or some kind of powder coating. I stand by what I said, that it's not the bolts fault. If the coating that was applied is not specificly set up to handle the heat, cool down of those brakes then it would not take that much of a harsh chemical to get a weakened coating loose and off the bolt.

The bolt package is cheap PR, compared to this thread.

@z - http://www.metal-coatings.com/feature-product.php

Web site says protects against corrosion.

Regards.

2013 335is E93
2018 X5 35d
BMWCCA / ZSCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #125
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen View Post
If the goal is to get these brakes looking great again, check out the work of Mike Golding at http://thepowdercoater.com. He does some amazing powdercoating and is an expert at caliper rebuilding. He's famous on the Corvette forums.
How does the powdercoated finish hold up to track use compared to paint?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #126
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzhou View Post
Lots of people are saying brembo FTW. For real? Only because of the finish on some bolts? Not saying that I don't care about the rust bolt if it is mine. IMO all the finish on any caliper will go bad. Use it a year on the track and who cares about finish? Don't judge a BBK by its look please.
I think it has more to do with the crappy customer service the OP experienced with Stoptech
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #127
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
+1. Spend a couple hundred bucks to get them repainted, it isn't the kind of thing to dedicate countless hours bitching about. I would feel the opposite if it was a mechanical issue, but faded paint?

They still look better than those awful OEM ones
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #128
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
+1. Spend a couple hundred bucks to get them repainted, it isn't the kind of thing to dedicate countless hours bitching about. I would feel the opposite if it was a mechanical issue, but faded paint?

They still look better than those awful OEM ones
Well if you're going to go this route than powdercoating is clearly the better option..but you also need to disassemble and rebuild the calipers with new seals/hardware

I dont see why someone who spends $9K on BBK shouldnt expect a resilient finish and great customer service
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #129
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

I got a better solution. Brush and wash the bolt clean. Touch up paint it . HAHA.

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #130
maaicher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
I think it has more to do with the crappy customer service the OP experienced with Stoptech
Yes, that is the reason I say to go with brembo. Bad customer service is a reflection of the product itself. After speaking with a few people at brembo ,seeing first hand how they operate both on the product side and customer service side, I would never spend my money elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #131
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
This is M3Post, where all that matter's is how the car looks.

Quote:
I think it's because OP took a while to get back to them. Someone above was offered the same thing and they honored that offer.
I was sent new rotor when I got a shimmy with my kit and they arranged for AutoTalent to install them. It was probably just brake pad transfer but it occurred after I did the bedding per their instructions.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #132
DZeckhausen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
How does the powdercoated finish hold up to track use compared to paint?
The Trophy calipers are not painted or powdercoated. They have a MIL-spec, hard-anodized finish that will not fade or discolor even at professional level racing temperatures. But they're not impervious to an acidic environment. Paint is better at acid resistance.

StopTech red or black calipers use a 2-part, high temperature epoxy that does well at the track. Their silver, yellow, and blue paints aren't as robust at high temperatures. Similarly, the ability of powdercoat finishes to stand up to track use without color shifting or fading will depend on the color.

Silver paint (regardless of manufacturer) is not a good color for heavy track use. That's why the silver Trophy calipers are unique. Check out what happens when you track a Volvo V70R with factory silver calipers and light gray "R" logo:

Needless to say, this guy's wife (it was her car!) was not pleased.