BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

11-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #23
M3Bear
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrackday View Post
Wow.. For a 1st time poster who was willing to share lots of hard earned data, I'm not feeling the love here at all. If this forum is stacked with haters who prefer to be judgemental and don't even bother to read the entire post and especially the "this car was not bought for the track" part, I'm pretty underwhelmed with m3post.com so far. I'm sure there are lots of good people here but the haters are on the prowl.

I repeat...

THIS IS NOT A DEDICATED TRACK CAR !

I drive it to work everyday, my wife, dog and I go cruising with the top down when the weather is nice. I track it because aside from a few hundred extra pounds, it kicks ass as a track car, top up or down. Which part of that doesn't make sense?

I'm running close to 2min laps at TWS which is VERY respectable so how about cuttimg me some slack?
Hey don't let a few people spoil the purpose of the forum. Your post has helped me a lot and is inspiring me to learn more about get my M3 to the track. Ive already book marked your blog and look forward to reading more about your adventures
19" VMR710 Diamond Graphite, JL Motoring VRS style Front Lip, JL Motoring VRS style Type II Rear Diffuser, LUX H8 Angel Eyes, Glossy Black Grill, Carbon Fiber Fenders, Carbon Fiber Hood Vents, Painted Reflectors, Earthquake SWS-8, Alpine PDX 2.150, Euphoria 6k Ultra High-Powered LED Interior
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #24
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

Hey,
don't worry about all the haters, it's common practice for "performance cars" fans to bash the verts, at any levels... sure it's heavier, but like you said it's not a 100% track car... sooo for me the big difference is that you can enjoy a drive with the top-down to the track, put it up when you get there, enjoy your day, and go home with the top down again...
+ i'm sure any of you guys here in a vert could smoke my ass on a track even if i was driving a F1 car or any kind of race car... i would say at an "amateur" racing level, 75% of the eqation of being fast is probably the driver, the rest being the car itself... you said even Mini's smoked you...
bottom line is, you (and I) love verts, and you want to have some fun at the track... go ahead, have fun, and screw them all !!!
BTW, i've seen this asked earlier: what about having a roll-bar? tracks here require it, so i'm screwed (soft-top)... is there any exception for hard-tops? technically that's the whole point... vert' with the top down, coupe with the top up??...
please let us know!!

Pat
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #25
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

OP: Nice e93!

Look forward to seeing you, especially since you're local.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #26
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Jeez, guys how 'bout cut him a little slack? He says he's made a weekend track car, not a race car. Maybe he likes having a vert. I didn't see anything about him stripping the car to shed weight.

If this works for you hey that's great. As it relates to speed down the straight, that's only limited by the size of your wallet.
Right! fuckin A. i guess you cant track an m5 either weighs too much, people track all kinds of cars...let them enjoy it.

i say props to you brother! keep it up
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #27
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Would be cool to see your vert in action! Any vids?

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #28
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Nice!
      11-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #29
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. I don't think the BMW brakes are completely subpar as you made them out to be in your initial post that drew some ire. The added weight of the vert doesn't help the situation with stock brakes which is more accurate. I didn't mean to offend you in any way.
Actually they are AWESOME for street use but I agree that they SUCK for any intermediate and higher aggressive driver on the track.

I've already warped my discs on the track and the fade is unbearable even after just 5 minutes of track (depending on the track).

This is why Im awaiting my new arrival for next years track season... Brembo GT BBK's !

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #30
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

what suspension are you running?
      11-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #31
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

I think the issue is that you said you converted your car into a weekend track car. If you had said you improved or optimized your 'vert for the track you would have had less people thinking that someone actually made a 'vert into a track car. It's fine to use one on the track casually, but a dedicated machine it is not for eleventy billion reasons (weight, rigidity, safety, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #32
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Would be cool to see your vert in action! Any vids?

-SZ
On the OP's blog you can find this. Video there (including a spin off the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrackday View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #33
ssemerod
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92

krikers, the rubber is track only, the wheels are swapped at the track, therefore, a converted track car.... why all the semantics
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #34
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

John, this is a great first post/thread, and don't worry about some of the flak you're getting for taking an E93 to the track. I found your post interesting because I've spent the last few months prepping my car for the track, so that when my schedule frees up a little in January, I'll be ready to go. So far, I've added a little power with bolt-on mods, installed a StopTech BBK with SRF fluid, stiffer springs, SSK, and I have some light-weight 19" wheels on order. I run StopTech Street Performance pads for daily use, and I have some Performance Friction pads for track use. Pad switching is VERY easy with the StopTechs.

Yes, it's a shame that the M3's braking isn't up to snuff, but the real culprit for brake fade on the M3 isn't so much the brakes themselves as it is the weight of the car and the lack of cooling, like you pointed out. Stopping that much weight repeatedly will inevitably cause rapid heat buildup, and you can't really compare the M3's brakes with those on Porsches and Corvettes. Yes, they are better brakes, but I think the hundreds of pounds of weight difference is the biggest factor.

I see you're from Texas also. I hope to see you out on the track sometime soon.
      11-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #35
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
John, this is a great first post/thread, and don't worry about some of the flak you're getting for taking an E93 to the track.
opinions here are like....well u know.... Keep up the great work and keep us updated. We're too lazy to link over to your blog
      11-24-2009, 11:02 PM   #36
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey John,

Welcome to the forum. We met last time at TWS.

Just FYI, there are some killer deals on StopTechs right now, like 25% off or more, so give Rick from Driver's Edge or any vendors on this forum a call and get your upgrade.

Hope to see you next time.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #37
GTM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I would go back to street radials.
Most driver makes mistake on just putting slicks on stock car thinking added grip will give much faster lap time.(without thinking how much stress you will be putting on the car)

Although slick tires gives addtional grip/traction, you also need alignment/upgraded bushings/chassis to take full potential of the tires.
Without proper setup, it will only help very marginally on lap time but at sametime it DOES increase much stress on chassis/bushings.(can be worse thing on E93 due to weaker chassis)

Not only that, slick tires give too much confidence to drivers...harder to control at the limit, which is not a good thing for most weekend track drivers.

Any M3 can be very good weekend car even at stock configuration.
Only thing I would change for track are...Brake pads and fluid for fade resistance.
Jusy my $0.02

Jae
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #38
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
i think its awesome you broke the mold. atleast your doing more than just driving
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #39
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Can someone please explain why you would make a vert a track car. I am not trying to be facetious. I assume because of weight, and chassis rigidity it would not be a wise choice to take a $ 70,$$$ car with the intention to make it a track car, when for 5 grand less, you have much more potential with a coupe. That Carbon fiber roof is there for a very important reason....physics.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #40
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
Can someone please explain why you would make a vert a track car. I am not trying to be facetious. I assume because of weight, and chassis rigidity it would not be a wise choice to take a $ 70,$$$ car with the intention to make it a track car, when for 5 grand less, you have much more potential with a coupe. That Carbon fiber roof is there for a very important reason....physics.
For a little extra FUN, of course!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #41
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
Because you already own one and then decide to make it a trackable car?
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #42
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

holy sh** i cant believe all the haters here!!!!
driving a vert is something that some people (like me and likely the OP) really enjoy and are "addicted" to... then the OP decided to take his car to the track, what's wrong with that??? the only reason i havent taken my vert (non-M3) to the track yet is because of the soft-top (need roll cage)...
Excess weight and all that crap probably wont make ANY significant difference until you get to a certain level of drving skills... sure you might lose .5 seconds per lap, maybe more, put a bit more stress on the brakes, but when the goal is to have fun on the track with your DD, i dont see where the big deal is...
AFAIK, the OP didnt get a E93 to run in pro-racing, right?
agreed the vert is not your IDEAL car to track, but neither is an M5 and i remember seeing lots of pics of M5 racing around the 'Ring...
just to piss you guys off i would get an E93 on the track, with the top-down and a passenger and post pics and vids all over this forum
anyhow, i'm a little pissed off seeing all these negative comments to the OP, like he was doing something really stupid or totally wrong by taking a vert to the track...
alright, i'm done now!
Pat
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #43
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Hey welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing that information with us. I may be doing something similar soon!

Last edited by M2381; 11-26-2009 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #44
mrtrackday
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Because you already own one and then decide to make it a trackable car?
Appreciate 0