BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

06-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #23
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
Don't feel like arguing on this....but to call any U.S. MD school a "safety" school is insane..
+1

why do you think so many people go to med schools in the islands because they couldn't get into any schools in the states...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #24
IrateSpeed6
ˇRoca encendido!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 STi Stage II

Make sure you pick a school in a good/fun city - UPenn rocked!
      06-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #25
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
+1

why do you think so many people go to med schools in the islands because they couldn't get into any schools in the states...
You guys are just too naive......
      06-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #26
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
You guys are just too naive......

+1

I can support his statements regarding medical education. Outsiders would never know it. But there are a TON of losers that get into med school. I am not saying it is easy to get in, but there are just alot of people that know how to take standardized tests, and can BS their way through a personal statement, and even do well on an interview. They are great on paper, which is why it is difficult for such a large pool of people to compete for the limited spots around the country. But these individuals can be some of the worst people that are going into the field, one that is supposed to be about helping people.

Furthermore, based on your own particular strengths, there is a tier system for your chances of you getting into a med school. If you only apply to the highest tier, chances of not getting in are high. If you spread out your applications into the *various* tiers, then your chances of getting multiple interviews goes up. The more interviews you are granted, the higher your chance of getting acceptance letters. So yeah, there are *back up* places for each person. However, if your stats are shitty---then all programs become a huge hail mary.
      06-06-2009, 01:17 AM   #27
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Going off track,

Since I am at one of the largest Medical Training facilities for medical doctors on the West coast, it means NOTHING where you go to "school"

Same with the dentist and Oral & Maxillofacial surgeons I work with.

If you are a good student you will thrive anywhere. If you train hard and take your profession seriously you will be fine.

That being said, theres a lot of bad physicians coming from Top Teir schools because they just dont care about the profession. They just want to do their own thing.

Just chose a school thats in a location you think u can do well at. The money thing will fall into place later. You shouldnt think about that as your driving factor.

fk
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #28
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
+1

I can support his statements regarding medical education. Outsiders would never know it. But there are a TON of losers that get into med school. I am not saying it is easy to get in, but there are just alot of people that know how to take standardized tests, and can BS their way through a personal statement, and even do well on an interview. They are great on paper, which is why it is difficult for such a large pool of people to compete for the limited spots around the country. But these individuals can be some of the worst people that are going into the field, one that is supposed to be about helping people.

Furthermore, based on your own particular strengths, there is a tier system for your chances of you getting into a med school. If you only apply to the highest tier, chances of not getting in are high. If you spread out your applications into the *various* tiers, then your chances of getting multiple interviews goes up. The more interviews you are granted, the higher your chance of getting acceptance letters. So yeah, there are *back up* places for each person. However, if your stats are shitty---then all programs become a huge hail mary.
Yeah Miguel, sadly some stupid would be doctors would really make it. It's a shame.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #29
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Definitely do dental school. Doc's are getting raped.
You want to do root canals. THey get paid up front and people will gladly pay $1,500 a tooth. Most doc's won't make that in a day.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #30
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Definitely do dental school. Doc's are getting raped.
You want to do root canals. THey get paid up front and people will gladly pay $1,500 a tooth. Most doc's won't make that in a day.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #31
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

^^ I agree. It really depends what kind of doctor you are too. I know a few neurologists that make up to $10,000 a day. (not take home)
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #32
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
+1

Losers? I wouldn't call someone who gets a 35 MCAT and 3.7+ GPA a loser. How they act in med school and in real life is a different story.

But anyway, plenty of people with very good stats don't get in anywhere. I know a kid with a 30 MCAT and 3.7 GPA who had to go Caribbean.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #33
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
Losers? I wouldn't call someone who gets a 35 MCAT and 3.7+ GPA a loser. How they act in med school and in real life is a different story.

But anyway, plenty of people with very good stats don't get in anywhere. I know a kid with a 30 MCAT and 3.7 GPA who had to go Caribbean.
Well, what exactly would you call someone with those kind of numbers that acts like a total douchebag in life and in med school?

Whatever--you can believe me or not. I know what I am talking about. Peace out.