BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Race/Sport exhaust drone at cruise speeds

There is some talk about different levels of exhaust drone at the 2-3,000rpm range. I'm interested in the REMUS race exhaust but I have some questions and concerns you fella's might be able to answer.

The Remus sport is not TUV approved but is that going to make a difference when getting a SVA inspection (UK) only, and any State inspections back in the US. Since my M3 is US spec anyway.

The exhaust drone with the Remus Race, does anyone have a video sound clip of it in cabin? I'd like to hear it before I purchase.

I had a friend that fitted some magna flows on a Pontiac Grand Prix and the drone was actually pretty irratating but he also had the resignators removed if I remember right. Any info from all of you who have fitted the sport or race exhasuts would be great. Eisenman exhausts too!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
CampioniShop
Rep
Drives: na

The REMUS SPORT is TUV approved!
No sound clips in cabin with race but it is coming!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Remus, do you know of anyone in NYC on this board who has the "race" installed I would like to hear this IRL so I can make my decision...I too am concerned about the infamous drone

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car

Last edited by monsta; 10-03-2008 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
CampioniShop
Rep

Unfortunately nobody is even close to NYC, closest is Ohio!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remus View Post
The REMUS SPORT is TUV approved!
No sound clips in cabin with race but it is coming!

Yes, I know the sport is TUV approved. By the way, what is TUV?? Anyway, I was asking if a State or (UK) inspection was going to fail because the sport is not TUV approved. I see so many cars on the road, passing inspections, both in the US and the UK, with really loud exhausts, especially those stupid rice burners with the coffee can size mufflers that are very loud.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
CampioniShop
Rep

What is homologation and TUV approval?

Homologation is the certification by the EEC that the system fulfills their extremely high specifications in various design criteria for that specific model. Remus surpasses these specifications and are in addition to ISO 9001: 2000 also ISO/TS 16949: 1999 approved. The first company in the Industry to achieve this. Each system comes with this certificate that must be kept with the cars service book. TUV approval is a battery of rigorous tests in Europe to determine the quality and legality of an exhaust for specific car model. Some exhaust applications will fit many car models and won't be TUV approved, this simply means it has not been evaluted on this car model however will still fit. A TUV approved exhaust is a caracterized by a superior build quality using superior quality materials and a street legal sound, hovering close to OEM decibel (dB) output.

The TUV approval certificate is a legal document to present to authorities when asked for it. In the EU, you will need a TUV certificate to pass inspections.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
domer86
Trouble Maker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Ok. Today I took gasman for a ride in the M3 with the race exhaust installed. We were both commenting on how brilliant the system is. The one plus is that there is the obvious noticeable sound difference but the sound inside the cabin is not bad at all. Clearly a difference but not nerve wracking at All!!! You can still converse without having to change the level of your voice. Its a very comfortable drone but I was even joking saying they could have gone louder if they really wanted to. But its perfect!
-M Audio with Enhanced Bass-I-pod/USB adapter
-19" Wheels-Rear Sunshade
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

the only time it can get annoying is cruising at 80 in 6th but it goes right away if you shift into 5th
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #9
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

REMUS, thanks for explaining the TUV issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by domer86 View Post
Ok. Today I took gasman for a ride in the M3 with the race exhaust installed. We were both commenting on how brilliant the system is. The one plus is that there is the obvious noticeable sound difference but the sound inside the cabin is not bad at all. Clearly a difference but not nerve wracking at All!!! You can still converse without having to change the level of your voice. Its a very comfortable drone but I was even joking saying they could have gone louder if they really wanted to. But its perfect!
Agreed. It sounds amazing! I ordered it the next day and am anxiously awaiting arrival the first week of November.

Thanks again Domer!!!!
      09-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking I love my Remus Race it sounds good

My friends that have other fast sport cars Vetts,GTO's, Mustangs and so on love the sound of my M3 . Their cars have major engine mods. I turn heads every place I go . When ever I go to any of my friends house now they tell me they can hear me coming before I even get to their house. Thanks Remus good stuff with the race exhaust. I can live with the small drone , it's not going to kill me and it is worth the effects and results I wanted in return at a price I can live with

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
My friends that have other fast sport cars Vetts,GTO's, Mustangs and so on love the sound of my M3 . Their cars have major engine mods. I turn heads every place I go . When ever I go to any of my friends house now they tell me they can hear me coming before I even get to their house. Thanks Remus good stuff with the race exhaust. I can live with the small drone , it's not going to kill me and it is worth the effects and results I wanted in return at a price I can live with
+1
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
dosserj
FOR SALE
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3

I installed the Remus Race last week and was back and forth on the sound of it. There is a noticeable drone when the throttle hangs in 5th and 6th as you accelerate slowly even in my DCT. The easy fix is to accelerate faster or just up shift whenever you hear it coming. Now that I have spent more time in the car, I am liking it more and more. The sound outside the car is hard to beat. Now it sounds as fast as it looks. It does set car alarms off in parking garages without even trying. That is kind of annoying because the car in the spot next to mine at the office has a sensitive alarm that goes off every day I leave.
      09-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

strange, I have no drone whatsoever with the Remus Race - yes it is louder but it doesn't drone at all...are you sure you experiencing drone? Drone would be when other parts of the car pick up the vibration/resonance and add to the sound
      09-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
strange, I have no drone whatsoever with the Remus Race - yes it is louder but it doesn't drone at all...are you sure you experiencing drone? Drone would be when other parts of the car pick up the vibration/resonance and add to the sound

I'm a bit confused now on the drone. My friends Pontiac I mentioned in my original thread had a very bad frequency=drone I guess at cruise speed, about 65mph @ 3-4,000 rpm I'd guess. Very irritating and numbed your ears from the high-pitch frequency vibe. You know, a brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr type sound but it was awfull and not worth the sound/power gain if any.

Now the screaming rpm's of the M3 on sound clips is very impressive with the RACE but I wonder if that drone it creates is the same as what I experianced on the Pontiac. Although on the Pontiac they cut off the resignators and it was two magna flow mufflers to mention.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #16
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
I'm a bit confused now on the drone. My friends Pontiac I mentioned in my original thread had a very bad frequency=drone I guess at cruise speed, about 65mph @ 3-4,000 rpm I'd guess. Very irritating and numbed your ears from the high-pitch frequency vibe. You know, a brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr type sound but it was awfull and not worth the sound/power gain if any.

Now the screaming rpm's of the M3 on sound clips is very impressive with the RACE but I wonder if that drone it creates is the same as what I experianced on the Pontiac. Although on the Pontiac they cut off the resignators and it was two magna flow mufflers to mention.
that is exactly what my Remus Race doesn't do - no drone
      09-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #17
ferrari6891
the original brown guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MBB/SO X5M Comp

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
use emoticons a little more next time
haha
2011 E90 ///M3 AW/FR
2008 E92 ///M3 IB/BLK
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #18
dosserj
FOR SALE
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW/FR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
Well, I don't know that other parts of my car are vibrating to add to the noise. If so, I cannot hear them over the loud hum of the exhaust . Everyone's tolerance is different. I am OK with it until I try to cruise at 80 MPH. It gets almost unbearable at that point because I run out of gears to take the RPMs down. So I guess it is a good way to keep me from speeding or at least let me know when I am . To each their own...I just want those interested to know that it does HUM, if not DRONE, in the cabin.
      09-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari6891 View Post
use emoticons a little more next time
haha
, shady always uses a lot of emotions, it add character to the text, haha
Appreciate 0