BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM3 View Post
I'm away from the M, but next week I'll snap a pic of the entire back end and post. You'll get more perspective that way.
greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #24
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Any idea how loud the Megan is compared to Remus Race?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthai View Post
Any idea how loud the Megan is compared to Remus Race?
Based on my experience and feedback from a Remus Race owner, I speculated that the Remus is slightly louder.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #26
NomadM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
thanks! also how big are the tips? i looked at the official info and it says 3'? that's stock stick tips aren't they
Megan tips are 3" same as stock

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #27
Keik E92 M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.00]
2011 BMW 335i  [6.80]
Megan has amazing exhaust for the price. I don't know why more people don't buy these instead of $5000 metal pieces of exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #28
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keik E92 M3 View Post
Megan has amazing exhaust for the price. I don't know why more people don't buy these instead of $5000 metal pieces of exhaust.
My whole mindset on exhaust have changed once I saw this thread and finally took the time to read up on all of this. I always thought it was stupid spending so much but thought hey when you have the money you'll go for it but now I just can't see it. Then again there are other sounds out there that people prefer and unfortunately akra or eisenmann won't give them away for reasonable prices. Go capitalism
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #29
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keik E92 M3 View Post
Completely agree. I really think its impossible to make the s65 sound bad. I have the oem mod w/ secondary cat delete (about the same price as the Megan) and I love it. No need to spend thousands as the s65 takes well to simple/cheap modifications and always sounds great.

Had a z4m before my m3 and it's crazy how much the sound of each exhaust varied. Some sounded like bees in a can while some sounded exotic. It was really a get what you pay for scenario. Not the case with the E9x M3 IMO.

That being said if money is absolutely no issue some of the expense exhausts, akra etc, do look great.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #30
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Weird. In your pics, the pipes look like they are level side to side. I was originally going to get this exhaust, but many pictures that I found online showed that the LHS tips were quite lower than the RHS. Even the pictures on their website (red E92) shows this quite clearly.

That's why I decided to just go with OEM exhaust mod (bypass method). A bit cheaper, and painted black, it looks fine to me. Both have that lower V8 NASCAR tone though. I love it!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #31
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Weird. In your pics, the pipes look like they are level side to side. I was originally going to get this exhaust, but many pictures that I found online showed that the LHS tips were quite lower than the RHS. Even the pictures on their website (red E92) shows this quite clearly.

That's why I decided to just go with OEM exhaust mod (bypass method). A bit cheaper, and painted black, it looks fine to me. Both have that lower V8 NASCAR tone though. I love it!
I assume pipes = tips. Yes, they're level. As in, I took a level across them and they're perfect.

I was worried about this too before install.

Black with OEM mod sounds like a nice setup as well!

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #32
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Cool, thanks. Did I remember your decibel ratings correctly?

I was contemplating the Eisenmann Race. If it is that much louder than the Megan I'm glad I didn't go that route. I'm pulling into work in neutral nowadays...
I have the ER with no resonators and I want it LOUDER. I want a catless x pipe with resonators. The ER sound is sooooo aggressive and just gnarly...LOL

I wouldnt trade it for anything even half priced. To me the sound of the car is as pleasing as the aesthetic of the e92.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #33
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
I have the ER with no resonators and I want it LOUDER. I want a catless x pipe with resonators. The ER sound is sooooo aggressive and just gnarly...LOL

I wouldnt trade it for anything even half priced. To me the sound of the car is as pleasing as the aesthetic of the e92.
Haha.. You're crazy! Throw one of these on with the ER and post a video if the camera doesn't explode...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22...esonators.aspx

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the ER in person, but it's got to be awesome. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Had a z4m before my m3 and it's crazy how much the sound of each exhaust varied. Some sounded like bees in a can while some sounded exotic. It was really a get what you pay for scenario. Not the case with the E9x M3 IMO.

That being said if money is absolutely no issue some of the expense exhausts, akra etc, do look great.
Agree 100%. All depends upon your perspective. When I finally decided I wasn't going to drop the necessary coin for an Akra, my goal became to find something very affordable and superior to stock. More sound, better looking, lighter if possible. The Megan checks all of those boxes as far as I'm concerned.

It's not the world's highest quality stainless steel exhaust, but I don't care. If it starts falling apart on me, well, then I probably will... I don't expect that though.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #34
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I assume pipes = tips. Yes, they're level. As in, I took a level across them and they're perfect.

I was worried about this too before install.

Black with OEM mod sounds like a nice setup as well!
Here is the picture from Megan's website. As you can see, the left is lower than the right. It was too noticeable for me, but your car looks way better than this. Maybe they made their quality better. I absolutely love the way the M.E sounds
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #35
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Here is the picture from Megan's website. As you can see, the left is lower than the right. It was too noticeable for me, but your car looks way better than this. Maybe they made their quality better. I absolutely love the way the M.E sounds
I see that. Perhaps they made an adjustment.

I do believe that with my exhaust there is a tiny bit (not noticeable) more space between the muffler tips and the bottom of the bumper on one side. Since I know that the tips are totally level across, that means my bumper must be ever so slightly off. Could be that's what is going on with the red coupe too -- just to a greater extent.

There also appears to be some lighting issues in that pic with the red coupe that could be contributing to the perceived difference.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #36
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw

Quote:
Haha.. You're crazy! Throw one of these on with the ER and post a video if the camera doesn't explode...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22...esonators.aspx

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the ER in person, but it's got to be awesome. Enjoy.

Here's a vid I took the day I installed the ER. THe video sound good, but obviously cant capture the frequencies and nuances the human ear can. It sounds MUCH more exotic in person.

LMK what you think!

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #37
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfirer1guy View Post
Here's a vid I took the day I installed the ER. THe video sound good, but obviously cant capture the frequencies and nuances the human ear can. It sounds MUCH more exotic in person.

LMK what you think!
Beastly! Congrats. Throttle blips sound awesome. Can tell just by video that it's a step up from the Megan in decibels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
greatly appreciated!
Here you go!

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #38
Ermagerd
Private
Rep
Drives: a huffy

Thanks for the review! Sounds like it can't be beat at that price point. With my previous Megan experiences, it's pleasantly surprising that the tips are even with the bumper without messing with hangars at all.

Edit: Forgot to add, it looks awesome from that tail shot you posted!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #39
PutterMcGavin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 M5, '08 E61 535xi

Quote:
I see that. Perhaps they made an adjustment.

I do believe that with my exhaust there is a tiny bit (not noticeable) more space between the muffler tips and the bottom of the bumper on one side. Since I know that the tips are totally level across, that means my bumper must be ever so slightly off. Could be that's what is going on with the red coupe too -- just to a greater extent.

There also appears to be some lighting issues in that pic with the red coupe that could be contributing to the perceived difference.
I'd agree with this. I just did a screenshot and put some lines from different points and it lines up right. I think it is an optical illusion.

I had to wiggle mine a little bit and adjust the clamps to the connecting pipes to get it perfect. It can be adjusted a small bit, trick is doing it in the right order!

FYI a couple pics to add to the OP's!

The exhaust centers up perfectly (I measure 3 times)! Pic doesn't make you think that though for some reason...

08-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #40
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutterMcGavin View Post
I'd agree with this. I just did a screenshot and put some lines from different points and it lines up right. I think it is an optical illusion.

I had to wiggle mine a little bit and adjust the clamps to the connecting pipes to get it perfect. It can be adjusted a small bit, trick is doing it in the right order!

FYI a couple pics to add to the OP's!

The exhaust centers up perfectly (I measure 3 times)! Pic doesn't make you think that though for some reason...
Nice pics! Looks good with the diffuser. Optical illusion, perspective, angle, lighting, and so on. Think a number of things can contribute to the perception that tips are not level and straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermagerd View Post
Thanks for the review! Sounds like it can't be beat at that price point. With my previous Megan experiences, it's pleasantly surprising that the tips are even with the bumper without messing with hangars at all.

Edit: Forgot to add, it looks awesome from that tail shot you posted!
Thanks! Yep, there were a couple of install quirks. Getting the tips level was not one of them.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #41
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
it looks good and sounds good buddy
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #42
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Mine line up perfectly...
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #43
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
it looks good and sounds good buddy
Thank you!

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #44
NomadM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 Alpine White

Garage List
Just had mine installed yesterday. Loving the sound of it....its really noticeable between 1k-4k rpm. A little drone, but I dont mind it at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0