BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
bigsurge
Private
Rep
Drives: none

IRP Short Shifter

http://irpgermany.tictail.com/produc...hortshifter-v3

Anyone ever heard of these guys ? I am lookin at installing a short shifter and can't decide between IRP, CAE, AKG, or UUC evo3

I assume that you can keep the stock shift knob look if you go with the UUC any comments are greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

AutoSolutions Short Shift Kit; do some searching on this forum and m3forum.com and you'll see how well loved it is.

I've seen many a post from people who installed UUC and Rogue SSK's where they ended up deciding to go back to OEM for various reasons, to include lack of refinement and displeasure in regards to the overall feel of those particular brand SSK's.

I've only ever seen good things about the CAE, but its up to you to determine if that is the route you want to go, as it is certainly the "loudest" option of the bunch.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
bigsurge
Private
Rep

Ooo I was actually looking at this one but I didnt know it was e9x compatible. Thanks I'll check it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

AutoSolutions makes one for the E9X platform, you have to contact him directly about it because it's a low production volume item of his; he is a one man show btw.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11403.00
      04-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

Autosolutions FTW. I love my E92M one just as I loved the E46M kit

Best thing ever for our cars. I waited three years for him to start building them for the E92
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Autosolutions. It'll run you $400 + shipping, but after reading reviews about this kit vs others that are out there, I decided long ago that I wouldn't buy a kit until Autosolutions offered one for our platform. I rec'd it 2 weeks ago and will hopefully get around to installing it before the end of the month.

Per my pre-purchase conversation with Ronald:
Quote:
I build kits for the e9X and e8X and F80. They are part of our spherical bearing series . The emphasis in all these kits is precision and repeatability not so much shorter throw. As such the e92 is produced in 25% and 7% reduction ratios. Either sells for $399. We will not build anything shorter than that unless special circumstances.

Those kits are very different than what is on the market. In that they do not use a pivot ball but a cartridge with a spherical bearing. That bearing was upgraded six months ago alongside the inner lever for an even more rigid mechanism. This cartridge allows a truly fixed pivot point more so than even our e46M3 Ultra kit.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 04-18-2017 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
bigsurge
Private
Rep

Yea this is awesome I love when everyone agrees on one kit as the way to go... rarely happens on m3post, (vac,wpc vs BE )haha

Spoke with Ronald, I'm definitely going with autosolutions
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Autosolutions. It'll run you $400 + shipping, but after reading reviews about this kit vs others that are out there, I decided long ago that I wouldn't buy a kit until Autosolutions offered one for our platform. I rec'd it 2 weeks ago and will hopefully get around to installing it before the end of the month.

Per my pre-purchase conversation with Ronald:
Ronald is the real deal. When I thought I was going to get an F80 instead of the second E9X I told him I was willing to drive my car there (around 1600 miles) and leave it with him so he could engineer a kit for the F80

One day he will not build kits for our cars anymore and it will really be a loss
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #9
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

@whats77inaname @SYT_Shadow What does it mean by "Reduction Ratios"? Is it the throw itself? I ran the weighted knob of the USDM M5 before going back to the stock knob because I had a harder time shifting 2nd into 3rd with the weighed knob and would often miss when shifting quickly, and I'd be rubbing my arm on the hand rest because the knob is lower. I don't mind long throws as long as it feels accurate, especially when my car is a daily driver. Is the Autosolutions shifter good for casual daily driving?
      04-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #10
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
@whats77inaname @SYT_Shadow What does it mean by "Reduction Ratios"? Is it the throw itself? I ran the weighted knob of the USDM M5 before going back to the stock knob because I had a harder time shifting 2nd into 3rd with the weighed knob and would often miss when shifting quickly, and I'd be rubbing my arm on the hand rest because the knob is lower. I don't mind long throws as long as it feels accurate, especially when my car is a daily driver. Is the Autosolutions shifter good for casual daily driving?
Yes, the throw itself. How much shorter than stock.

I had 30% on my E46 AS SSK and felt it was too short, meaning the effort with the ZHP knob was too high for casual driving.

When I got the one for the E92 I requested the smallest reduction possible as that way it's more comfortable to shift.

These are definitely good for street driving. Just get less reduction ratio and you'll be fine
Appreciate 1
ashtaron141118.50
      04-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #11
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Yes, the throw itself. How much shorter than stock.

I had 30% on my E46 AS SSK and felt it was too short, meaning the effort with the ZHP knob was too high for casual driving.

When I got the one for the E92 I requested the smallest reduction possible as that way it's more comfortable to shift.

These are definitely good for street driving. Just get less reduction ratio and you'll be fine
I spoke to Ronald and am in line for a 7% Reduction Ratio.
      04-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #12
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
I spoke to Ronald and am in line for a 7% Reduction Ratio.
Way to go!!!
Appreciate 1
ashtaron141118.50
      04-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #13
bigsurge
Private
Rep

I went with 25% ahah hopefully I'll be able to shift post workout :|
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #14
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

I installed the UUC Evo 3 along with the DSSR and I really like the end result, though it did take a while to get the kinks worked out. The shifter feels factory quality, no additional NVH, shifts are short and crisp. Should have been this way from the factory.

As far as kinks -

The initial shifter they sent had the wrong bend - the shifter would sit either too far forward or too far back depending on how it was oriented. I called UUC and they sent me another shifter which exhibited to same exact issue. I finally ended up sending them my original shifter so they could match the bend, and that result was perfect. Rob was great to deal with through the whole ordeal, and I give UUC kudos for that, but it was defintely a hassle to have to install the shifter muliple times to get it right. I also was not all the impressed with the quality of bearings - typical chinese crap with iffy tolerances. I had to monkey with different sets between the 2 shifters they sent me until I got it to fit the stock selector rod. I did not have the same issue once I decided to upgrade to the DSSR - that went in pretty easy, fit was good, and the whole thing is now pretty solid.

Rob could not explain why the shifter had the wrong bend, and he did speculate that perhaps there are differrent flavors of shifters for the e9x M3s. Not sure I buy that, because every used UUC I've seen for sale on these forums has a bend similar to the stock bend. If you decide to go this route, it may be wise to contact Rob ahead of time to avoid the hassle I had.

I got the shifter through one of their special sales, paid $325 total including the DSSR. Money well spent, leaps and bounds better than the stock slop. I'm using it with the stock shift knob, looks totally factory.
      05-19-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
bigsurge
Private
Rep

Hey guys, I tried searching but couldn't find a DIY install for the kit, does anyone have a time estimate on how long it took to install the autosolutions kit ? Is it harder than on the e46 or is it easier ?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #16
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsurge View Post
Hey guys, I tried searching but couldn't find a DIY install for the kit, does anyone have a time estimate on how long it took to install the autosolutions kit ? Is it harder than on the e46 or is it easier ?
It's WAY easier than on the E46. We did it after a track day in the afternoon in the paddock.

We did not do a DIY as there are instructions with the kit and it's pretty straight forward.
Appreciate 0