BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #23
buldogge
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '00 MCoupe, '11 E90 M3

Another thing that may be affecting your shifting is that the clutch take-up on every MT BMW if have driven/raced/built has been quite different from every VWAG MT/clutch (wife owned 3, friends another 3) I've driven.

I've always found/favored the BMWs to be very direct...bury the clutch, match the revs. VWAG clutches always seemed to dis-engage much higher (less pedal travel), which I personally never cared for.

Just a thought.

-Mark in St. Louis
Appreciate 1
E92Gok63.50
      05-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #24
E92Gok
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I'm talking about the POWER button by itself. M mode can be configured to whatever you want (which can include combinations of the throttle setting, steering, EDC, etc).
So I gave it a shot last night went for a nice cruise and I didn't touch the M button at all I actually pressed the power button it's self. I did some practice downshifts and with the power button off I was able to down shift to second comfortably, but when I put the power button on I had to go a little easier with the throttle blip. But I was still able to achieve it. I guess it's just gonna take me time to get comfortable with the cars transmission.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #25
E92Gok
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSwine View Post
If you drove your manual equipped GTI without issue you'll get there. I came from a Fiesta ST that was easy to drive and I have to admit there was a bit of a learning curve with the M3. The shorter gear ratios, the distinct "mechanical" feel of the transmission and the relative stiffness of the shifter take some getting used to, but now that I've driven it for a while I love it (that's not to say I don't FU a shift every now and then). You have to DRIVE this car and at the end of the day I guess that's why we all bought one. I don't know if practice makes perfect, but it certainly helps.
Haha thanks for the response, there is definitely a learning curve with this car but I'm excited to achieve it after some time. I just gotta daily this car for a few weeks or so until I can get use to the transmission. But glad I'm not the only one lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #26
E92Gok
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Ive had mine for 7 years and just perfected the 3-2 and the 2-1 rev matches at 166K miles!
I used to grind when going from 1-2 near red line and I can now do that without grinding.

Two major changes.

1. A basic tune (in my case it is the Dinan).
Ill those that know more of what goes into the tune elaborate. I thinking the mapping of pedal position to throttle position has been fine tuned (in short some change in throttle mapping). Somehow I just have time to when near redline to shift. I just couldn't locking the timing of both pedals and stick shift. After the tune, shit just felt different.

As you know the amount throttle blip from 3-2 is different from the higher gears (the rpm range is wider between 2-3 than it is between 3-4 and the up. So what I notice now is that a quick stomp of the accelerator to the floor and super quick shift is the perfect amount of blip for 3-2. In other words, I don't have to worry about over revving the engine on a 3-2 anymore.

2. My new arm position has increased my confidence and speed.
I've tried many positions and grips of the knob. I;ve swapped to weighted shift knob which I want to say has made it better but not like it is now with this new position. Previously my elbow was always position somewhere above the center arm rest. Now my elbow is tucked between my hip and the arm rest. This position restricted forces forward and backwards. My forearm segment is now at 90 degrees instead of it being greater than 90 degrees. Two guarantee I shift into the correct gear, I bend my wrist and the way should will have to bend when positioned this way clearly conveys what gear you will push up to or pull down into. No guess worked, no second guess, no fear! My enjoyment has start all over again.

What I can now do is fast downshifts and skipping gears. More importantly I can get a sharp near perfect blip just like a DCT in any gear.

When at 5000rpm or above and in 3rd I can accurately rev match to 2nd and hear the signature triplet (3) pops from the exhaust (3-2 pop pop pop). Also the pop when shifting up gear really fast sounds better which I loved about the DCT.
Thanks for the write up, going to try out the arm positioning for sure, I can see why that can come into play when driving. As far as the tune I'll have to look into that as well. Kind of comforting to know it took you 7 years to get use to it lol but I hope I can get use to it a lot sooner haha. Appreciate the advice! Always great hearing new suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #27
E92Gok
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
Another thing that may be affecting your shifting is that the clutch take-up on every MT BMW if have driven/raced/built has been quite different from every VWAG MT/clutch (wife owned 3, friends another 3) I've driven.

I've always found/favored the BMWs to be very direct...bury the clutch, match the revs. VWAG clutches always seemed to dis-engage much higher (less pedal travel), which I personally never cared for.

Just a thought.

-Mark in St. Louis
Very interesting, I'll try out the "burry" clutch method as well, thanks Mark!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #28
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Gok View Post
Thanks for the write up, going to try out the arm positioning for sure, I can see why that can come into play when driving. As far as the tune I'll have to look into that as well. Kind of comforting to know it took you 7 years to get use to it lol but I hope I can get use to it a lot sooner haha. Appreciate the advice! Always great hearing new suggestions.
Actually before the tune and the new arm position I was already good with the shifting in this car. I was able to downshift and blip to 2nd and 1st. You will have problems as you change the throttle mapping triggered by the M-button setting. Remember. there are 3 settings and each will change (f'up you're feel).
A tune to smooth it out goes a long way. My mapping even improved with the 240E update from BMW so if you don't have that, you might be running shitty.

BTW. I stumbled upon the new arm positioning while rolling up my sleeve to prevent my shirt cuff from getting caught on the iDrive wheel (I have a 2008).
Appreciate 0