BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Winter Wheels & Tires...Can't Wait to take 'em Off

Well here they are, the winter wheels and tires for my sort of new M3. Was dreading this, didn't want to take the black ZCP rims off nor did I want to part with my Pilots. But the cold is already here and the Pilots weren't handling worth crap...even in the dry weather.

Because of all the wranglings I went through to get my GTS rims I was fortunate enough to receive my car with a 2nd set of the silver 359's which were destined for winter tires. After much research (and being stuck with having to get 19's), I went with the Bridgestone LM-60's. And I bumped up my tire sizes to 275/35/19 rear and 255/35/19 fronts in the hopes of eliminating that ridiculous "flush" fit between the outer edges of the comp. rims and the tire. No such luck, they appear to fit exactly like the OEM Pilots on the OEM comp. rim. Oh well, better luck next time.

As for the drive, I've had them for just two days now and I already miss my summer OEM setup. The Bridgestone's are good but they're soft and you notice it. I'll slow down accordingly for the season. On a really positive note, the grip on a 5 degree Celcius morning is comforting....until you stand on it. The tires are still a bit slippery (versus the driving on oil feeling I've had with the Pilots in the cold weather recently) but they've got to be worn in I guess. Or warmed up if that's possible here in Canada.

Anyways, here's pics. The first is the "old", next are the "new". They look O.K. and are nice and quiet at highway speeds. Around-town driving is just fine and they're very competant under normal conditions. I'm sure they'll perform well when the temp gets down to zero-ish and the black ice starts forming up around here. The LM-60's aren't meant for heavy snow conditions (vs the WS-60's which are) and I don't feel the need to be driving the M3 in snow anyways.

Here's wishing the best to all you lucky devil M3'ers in the sunbelt states who don't have to go through this tire changing crap every winter!!!

Regards, Mark
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Great set of winter wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
You have two sets?!?!? LUCKY!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Bart@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F95X5M | E46M3 | E92M3 | E60M5

I'd run the winter set in the spring/summer/fall and vice versa.. but that's just me

Both look great!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: a shitty M3

Nice setup. I'm going to put lm-25 on my oem 220s for the winter. I'll put some pics up also.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
shamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3, 2017 X5M

Nothing to be ashamed of....at least you don't have ugly generic 18" wheels for your winter tires. I'm dreading putting them on. I was even debating on painting them some rediculous color like orange or pink.
      10-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Your winter shoes are other people's (mine included) year-round setup. Looks great as usual.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Your winter shoes are other people's (mine included) year-round setup. Looks great as usual.
And you, my friend, are one of the lucky ones I was talking about. Black or silver, the 359's are the perfect fit for this car. Hope I didn't sound like a spoiled brat 'cause in reality, I was extremely fortunate getting 2 sets of wheels/tires with the car and won't ever forget how well BMW treated me. All of my comments had to do with the tires, not the wheels. No doubt come the spring time I'll have gotten used to the silver and won't want the black ones back. Oh o.k., maybe not.

And hey Shamoo.....was more than prepared to do the same if things didn't work out as they did. My other cars have always had the most "I don't care if they get dirty/salty/sandy or scratched" winter wheels that I could find .

Regards - Mark
Appreciate 0