BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

07-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Anyone made a switch over to a SUV from sportier cars?

I might pull the trigger on the new Range Rover Evoque coupe. I was recently decided on 2012 E550 Coupe for $65k. Then I realized I can get the Evoque for $55k fully loaded.

2012 Range Rover Evoque: 240hp turbo 4 cylinder, 3700 pds
-Equal amount of features: Auto parallel parking system, 2-way view touch screen, fixed panorama roof (the whole roof, but doesn't open)
-Superb Interior
-Compact, Coupe design. Sportier than other SUVs.
-Off-road, versatile, more room and more utility
-$10,000 cheaper
-Decent gas mileage for SUV

2012 Mercedes Benz E-Class Coupe: 414hp twin turbo V8, 3700 pds
-Equal amount of features: Ventilated seats, laser cruise control, panorama roof (half opens).
-Awesome power
-Conservative, quiet looks which I like
-Ok gas mileage, but I'll gladly trade that for 400+hp TT V8
-$10,000 more expensive
-Quite big, functional spacious setup
-MUCH more reliable than Range Rover.

I'm torn between the two. Totally different animals. For me, instead of viewing it as SUV vs Coupe, I view it more as sportier driving vs comfortable ride.

I have to admit I'm very much "scared" to make this switch over. Exciting driving experience is a HUGE part of my life. Especially after I got the BMW, it became a tool that brightens my life, helps me release stress, and just makes my life better.

I'm afraid I won't be able to do this with the SUV. While it might be more comfortable and more useful in terms of utility, I don't know if losing the adrenaline rush before an apex up front during the weekends is worth it.

Anyone did this? Any regrets? Stories?

vs

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :

Last edited by lux.sh; 07-16-2011 at 07:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
If you don't need the utility or the AWD capability, then I would NOT go with the SUV. I own both...As good as the X5 drives, it doesn't get my adrenaline pumping as much as my MC.

Last edited by XMetal; 07-16-2011 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I went from a 740iL to an X5. Not really sporty to SUV, but more luxo-sport to SUV. I still miss the 740's ride and power, but the X5 is nice in the winter and is way less costly to maintain. I went and bought my Z4 to fulfill the need for speed that was lost when I bought the X5. Like XMetal says, either get one of each or decide which is more important, the adrenaline rush or the AWD and utility.

That E-Class is sweet, though.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Not sure if this matters to you, but the E coupe is really not a W212 E Class car but instead the W204 C Class platform. Have you thought of maybe looking at the CLS instead? The E Class coupe is overpriced when considering you're getting C Class architecture (although with the new 5.5TT.) Most MB owners realize this and are hoping for a "real" E Class coupe to appear some day (especially an E63.)

"The question may arise as to why Merc would rename the car after the E-Class when it's based on another. Ernst Lieb, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA says one of the answers is that the car performs better for its intended purposes with C-Class underpinnings than it would with E-Class architecture. But more telling a reason is that customers will be far more willing to fork out more money for something called an E-Class Coupe rather than one called a C-Class Coupe, especially at the higher end where the margins are bigger."

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...class-platform

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10905201...class-platform
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I think the RR is a bit overpriced at the higher end. 55k and it has a 4 Cylinder engine!

I hope they sell a lot being a TATA shareholder but i just don't know.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Not that the E550 is a sporty car. I'm not a fan of SUV-crossover. I bought an item at the store did not fit in any of my cars I had to call my dad borrow his crossover I did not enjoyed it at all. If I need room Ill buy a wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Not sure if this matters to you, but the E coupe is really not a W212 E Class car but instead the W204 C Class platform. Have you thought of maybe looking at the CLS instead? The E Class coupe is overpriced when considering you're getting C Class architecture (although with the new 5.5TT.) Most MB owners realize this and are hoping for a "real" E Class coupe to appear some day (especially an E63.)

"The question may arise as to why Merc would rename the car after the E-Class when it's based on another. Ernst Lieb, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA says one of the answers is that the car performs better for its intended purposes with C-Class underpinnings than it would with E-Class architecture. But more telling a reason is that customers will be far more willing to fork out more money for something called an E-Class Coupe rather than one called a C-Class Coupe, especially at the higher end where the margins are bigger."

An E550 coupe is the same price as 335is with premium package. From that point of view it's a fair value.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Those RR are getting uglier and uglier.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
An E550 coupe is the same price as 335is with premium package. From that point of view it's a fair value.
Sure, I suppose one might consider it a "fair value" if you're comparing it to a particular 3 series BMW. Or a "fair value" compared to "fill-in-the-blank" car of your choice.

Nonetheless, that's not my point. I'm comparing one Mercedes platform to another Mercedes platform. And with the fact in mind that an actual (true) E Class (W212 E550, albeit with four doors) costs only $2k more than this "C class platform car otherwise known as the E class coupe."

And therefore emphasizing this: "But more telling a reason is that customers will be far more willing to fork out more money for something called an E-Class Coupe rather than one called a C-Class Coupe, especially at the higher end where the margins are bigger."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

I understand your argument, but what is better about the "true" E-class platform? Is it more rigid/lightweight than the C-platform? Or is it better because it's used in more expensive vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

RR - is a garbage when it comes to reliability
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 02:50 AM   #12
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post
RR - is a garbage when it comes to reliability
The RR always makes the top of the list for the most problems for any new car.

miiipilot
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #13
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'm aware of the fact that E-class coupe is based on C-class. I knew this fact what I researched on this vehicle. First thing that came into my mind, "Does it really matter?". Obviously I'm not buying the E-class for superior handling or track purpose for that matter. As long as the platform is verified, suitable for some sporty driving, I don't really care if it is based on C class platform. It packs more punch and technology than the C class, and thats what usually defines a car segment in today's world anyway.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 05:37 AM   #14
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Reliability is actually a huge problem with range rovers. Damn british can't get it right.

I don't have the luxury of owning both. I have to pick one.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Being 1/2 English I will still admit that as much as I appreciate Astons and RR they would never get my money. Why toss the "take a chance" card with your money?

They both lag in so many aspects of technology/reliability it's crazy but still command premium pricing vs others in their class.

There are other options if you want the room an SUV offers while still having a fun factor.

Between these two you listed..no brainer. Benz. IMO.
It was at introduction that I read the coupe has really hard seats. Maybe they have resolved this?

My other 1/2 is German.
      07-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #16
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I tried going to an SUV and it failed.

If driving pleasure is a big part of why you drive, then don't get an SUV. I was DEAD BORED when I went to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had "fun" in a Jeep Wrangler in my younger days (17 year ago) and then went to the more grown-up Grand Cherokee. It didn't last long. I had the Jeep less than 1 year. BTW: this was in 1996!

I know the newer SUVs drive better, but it is SO isolating and not fun at all. The only SUV that I would be remotely interested in would be an X5M or a Porshe Cayenne TT and that's basically because they're so damn fast!

Go for the E or a used M5, you won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #17
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
As I've said previously...It all depends on the needs/wants and priority of the OP. I was in the same shoe as the OP back in '04 and I ended up with my "compromised" X5 because I can only have ONE car at the time that needs to be able to do everything. I needed the utility to do Home Depot runs as well as something that can get me to the slope for snowboarding during winters. That was my reasoning for "settling" on an SUV (I mean SAV ) and why it still have a parking spot in my garage. As fun as the X5 is to drive, it can never be compared to a proper sport sedan/coupe.

So, it all comes down to your NEEDS versus WANTS

Last edited by XMetal; 07-17-2011 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #18
Golgarth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 318d M-sport tourer Bus

I tried a few years back and couldn't wait to change it. Yes an suv is practical, comfy(ish) and has a commanding driving position, but they are so dull to drive.
Instead of an SUV try a tourer instead, then you get practical AND sport ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
As I've said previously...It all depends on the needs/wants and priority of the OP. I was in the same shoe as the OP back in '04 and I ended up with my "compromised" X5 because I can only have ONE car at the time that needs to be able to do everything. I needed the utility to do Home Depot runs as well as something that can get me to the slope for snowboarding during winters. That was my reasoning for "settling" on an SUV (I mean SAV ) and why it still have a parking spot in my garage. As fun as the X5 is to drive, it can never be compared to a proper sport sedan/coupe.

So, it all comes down to your NEEDS versus WANTS
try x6m, u`ll feel it, and will never jump back to sedan!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
x5lover7777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 x5m

i went from e46 m3 to x5. used to have 4.8 but lack of power now i am happy with my truck,,, 400+ hp must get srt8 or something fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #21
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
I understand your argument, but what is better about the "true" E-class platform? Is it more rigid/lightweight than the C-platform? Or is it better because it's used in more expensive vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
I'm aware of the fact that E-class coupe is based on C-class. I knew this fact what I researched on this vehicle. First thing that came into my mind, "Does it really matter?". Obviously I'm not buying the E-class for superior handling or track purpose for that matter. As long as the platform is verified, suitable for some sporty driving, I don't really care if it is based on C class platform. It packs more punch and technology than the C class, and thats what usually defines a car segment in today's world anyway.
There's nothing inherently wrong with sharing platforms, many (most ) mfgs do it. Mercedes never has until recently. Plus they are sharing parts bins now, too. They even sent out a notice to shareholders mentioning this and saying it will save them more money and increase profit margins.

My only point was that it's a lower cost C platform car with an E Class badge. And Mercedes owners (like me) have questioned that sort of marketing. That was the only reason for my remark. It's a "principle" sort of thing. The E Class badge means a higher MSRP over a car marked as a C Class. And that's the reason why MB calls it the E Class coupe. No biggie, it's just about marketing and making a profit (which is to be expected.)

And it's why I said the emphasis of my post was this (and I'll post it for the third time now ): "But more telling a reason is that customers will be far more willing to fork out more money for something called an E-Class Coupe rather than one called a C-Class Coupe, especially at the higher end where the margins are bigger."

I'm talking about pricing structures here and not "good" versus "bad."
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #22
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
There's nothing inherently wrong with sharing platforms, many (most ) mfgs do it. Mercedes never has until recently. Plus they are sharing parts bins now, too. They even sent out a notice to shareholders mentioning this and saying it will save them more money and increase profit margins.

My only point was that it's a lower cost C platform car with an E Class badge. And Mercedes owners (like me) have questioned that sort of marketing. That was the only reason for my remark. It's a "principle" sort of thing. The E Class badge means a higher MSRP over a car marked as a C Class. And that's the reason why MB calls it the E Class coupe. No biggie, it's just about marketing and making a profit (which is to be expected.)

And it's why I said the emphasis of my post was this (and I'll post it for the third time now ): "But more telling a reason is that customers will be far more willing to fork out more money for something called an E-Class Coupe rather than one called a C-Class Coupe, especially at the higher end where the margins are bigger."

I'm talking about pricing structures here and not "good" versus "bad."
So basically the E series coupe= CLS(Which is a fake coupe)

C class coupe= C class coupe+ E class coupe(aka CLK)

Right? I agree with stickypaws it's false marketing at least when it was the clk they were not pretending it to be an e class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0