BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

10-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #67
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Word is the new 997 Turbo Mk2 is something very special indeed.
It is, but so is the price tag @$155k well equipped.

A recent roadtest claimed a 3.1 seconds 0-62. Porsche claims something like 7 flat to 100. It'll be a 7:3x Nurburgring ride.

The mid-range on this car will be mind boggling.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 12:47 AM   #68
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

I'm more curious how Nissan will repond. There's plenty of headroom in the GT-R to up the ante. Competition is a good thing.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 12:58 AM   #69
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
I'm more curious how Nissan will repond. There's plenty of headroom in the GT-R to up the ante. Competition is a good thing.
They should respond by fixing the tranny issues first. That was the one problem we had this weekend. Temps hit 280 car threw a code and it caused us to cut our track time by alot. If that didnt happen we would have continued to OWN every car there.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #70
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
They should respond by fixing the tranny issues first. That was the one problem we had this weekend. Temps hit 280 car threw a code and it caused us to cut our track time by alot. If that didnt happen we would have continued to OWN every car there.
I guess that's what's so challenging about modifying a car, upping horsepower pushes tolerances on other parts of the car.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 01:35 AM   #71
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I guess that's what's so challenging about modifying a car, upping horsepower pushes tolerances on other parts of the car.
Problem is that was an improvement when it was stock it was worse...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #72
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That doesn't sound good

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 03:45 AM   #73
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
This is definitely a problem. The guys over at NAGTROC have noticed the same thing during tracking sessions. There's a good thread over there about how most don't think the GTR is a good track car. This is mostly due to the transmission overheating issue.

As a street car though, the GTR is amazing imho.
      10-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #74
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Maserati spyder/BMW z4

Quote:
For all of the waiting of how the new Turbo stacks up to the GTR:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34289
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #75
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosety2009 View Post
For all of the waiting of how the new Turbo stacks up to the GTR:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34289
The turbo will post better than a 7:39. Porsche claimed 7:40 for the MKI turbo. With the addition of Porsche's torque vectoring -basically Nissan's ATTESA- 20 more HP, 20 lb/ft. more torque with an even broader torque band, 80lbs. +/- less weight than its' predecessor and PDK, the turbo and GT R will be fighting for tenths of seconds at the Ring with similar conditions. As we all know, the addition of PDK alone is a major improvement as it not only facilitates a perfect launch with lightning quick shifts, but has a huge benefit for turbo cars as it maintains boost between shifts. There is no way that the GT R has an 11-12 second advantage. Even with an alleged 30 hp advantage, assuming it's over rated @ 530.

The technology between these two supercars is very, very similar. In the end, the turbo weighs 3410 or so, w/500 hp and over 515 lb/ft. of torque on overboost compared with 480 (530?) hp, what 450 torque?/ and over 3800 lbs. Even with an estimated 530 hp (GTR) the power to weight is still advantage Porsche. In a straight line the GT R is going to look like it's towing a trailor. Sorry, had to say that.

I may like Porsches but I also appreciate any quality sports car and respect the GT R. Nissan and the NAGTROC fan club need to stop shooting heroin.

Last edited by devo; 10-15-2009 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #76
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Edmunds.com testers identified the overheating transmission as the weak link in the car in Japan before it was released in the US. It is not clear if they made that judgement based solely on the LC runs or not though. I would imagine it will be fixed eventually.
      10-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #77
moosety2009
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Maserati spyder/BMW z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
The turbo will post better than a 7:39. Porsche claimed 7:40 for the MKI turbo. With the addition of Porsche's torque vectoring -basically Nissan's ATTESA- 20 more HP, 20 lb/ft. more torque with an even broader torque band, 80lbs. +/- less weight than its' predecessor and PDK, the turbo and GT R will be fighting for tenths of seconds at the Ring with similar conditions. As we all know, the addition of PDK alone is a major improvement as it not only facilitates a perfect launch with lightning quick shifts, but has a huge benefit for turbo cars as it maintains boost between shifts. There is no way that the GT R has an 11-12 second advantage. Even with an alleged 30 hp advantage, assuming it's over rated @ 530.

The technology between these two supercars is very, very similar. In the end, the turbo weighs 3410 or so, w/500 hp and over 515 lb/ft. of torque on overboost compared with 480 (530?) hp, what 450 torque?/ and over 3800 lbs. Even with an estimated 530 hp (GTR) the power to weight is still advantage Porsche. In a straight line the GT R is going to look like it's towing a trailor. Sorry, had to say that.

I may like Porsches but I also appreciate any quality sports car and respect the GT R. Nissan and the NAGTROC fan club need to stop shooting heroin.
Just wanted to point out that the actuall Porsche run was 7:27, a few tenth of the seconds slower than the GTR at 7:26 (done by a former f1 driver).

It's nice to know that the turbo and GTR can compete at this level despite Porsche's engine and weight numbers. FYI the GTR has 485hp and 434ft/lbs of torque and weighs right at 3800 lbs.

Keep in mind there is Nissan GTR Spec-v that's available in Japan now. The HP is the same as the regular GTR, however, it gets carbon ceramic breaks, torque over boost control which gives it an additonal 20lbs for 8 seconds, an adjusted suspension, and drops approximately 200lbs, via rear seat delete, lighter wheels, and other hear and there's.

That car has yet to do a ring test, but in all fairness the price of it will be up in the turbo territory. The breaks alone cost 50k.

That said I'm a fan of the Porsche, but can only afford the regular GTR. If they are indeed that close in performance, at least for me it's a no brainer to go with the GTR. All things being equall, competition is a great thing, and I'm glad Nissan can get Porsche worked up enough to make them try new things with the car. End game is we all win!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #78
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosety2009 View Post
Just wanted to point out that the actuall Porsche run was 7:27, a few tenth of the seconds slower than the GTR at 7:26 (done by a former f1 driver).

It's nice to know that the turbo and GTR can compete at this level despite Porsche's engine and weight numbers. FYI the GTR has 485hp and 434ft/lbs of torque and weighs right at 3800 lbs.

Keep in mind there is Nissan GTR Spec-v that's available in Japan now. The HP is the same as the regular GTR, however, it gets carbon ceramic breaks, torque over boost control which gives it an additonal 20lbs for 8 seconds, an adjusted suspension, and drops approximately 200lbs, via rear seat delete, lighter wheels, and other hear and there's.

That car has yet to do a ring test, but in all fairness the price of it will be up in the turbo territory. The breaks alone cost 50k.

That said I'm a fan of the Porsche, but can only afford the regular GTR. If they are indeed that close in performance, at least for me it's a no brainer to go with the GTR. All things being equall, competition is a great thing, and I'm glad Nissan can get Porsche worked up enough to make them try new things with the car. End game is we all win!
I agree on every point. And, yes, you're right, in the end we all win by virtue of better performing cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #79
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-18 View Post
Should I trade My E93 M3 to get a Nissan GT-R? what do you guys think?
Well, I have owned both. Basically, what do you wish your M3 did that you THINK the GT-R does lol?

If you can answer that question, I can probably give you a pretty good answer.
      10-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #80
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Well, I have owned both. Basically, what do you wish your M3 did that you THINK the GT-R does lol?

If you can answer that question, I can probably give you a pretty good answer.
LOL, you sold your GT-R then I guess you already have an answer for him
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #81
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozap View Post
LOL, you sold your GT-R then I guess you already have an answer for him
Look at the other cars in his sig. He might have sold the GT-R because it was getting passed over for seat time in the R8 or Scud.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #82
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
yes, absolutely
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #83
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Im not going to be able to read all the posts but I have both cars in my garage plus a few others right now. My most simple definition is:

The M3 does or has alot of things that perform in a great manner.

The GTR does or has lesser things that perform in an excellent manner.

I look at the GTR like one of my project managers. They focus on a specific task and they do an excellent job at it. The GTR is very concentrated on performance. Its not entirely comfortable, although I can live with it. It makes weird noises, its very rigid, and it misses the luxury that is wanted interiorwise.

I look at the M3 like one of my department heads. The know a little about a lot and are diverse. The M3 can take you on that long trip and not be uncomfortable. It also still can take you into a turn and create confidence. Its a performance machine but not to the level of the GTR- yet it still performs and is luxurious.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #84
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Im not going to be able to read all the posts but I have both cars in my garage plus a few others right now. My most simple definition is:

The M3 does or has alot of things that perform in a great manner.

The GTR does or has lesser things that perform in an excellent manner.

I look at the GTR like one of my project managers. They focus on a specific task and they do an excellent job at it. The GTR is very concentrated on performance. Its not entirely comfortable, although I can live with it. It makes weird noises, its very rigid, and it misses the luxury that is wanted interiorwise.

I look at the M3 like one of my department heads. The know a little about a lot and are diverse. The M3 can take you on that long trip and not be uncomfortable. It also still can take you into a turn and create confidence. Its a performance machine but not to the level of the GTR- yet it still performs and is luxurious.
+1

GTR is an upgrade in power, but downgrade in interior and workmanship. It does unbelievable things the M3 cannot do. But it is a heavy car. You cannot drive this car the way you drive a M3. The GT-R HATES trail braking and will put you into the wall. M3 trail braking gives rewards you with Top Gear style drifts while you make a blutooth phone call.

The noises made me worry all the time if something was about to break or should I not worry. Also, based on where you are and dealership, I felt like I had no warranty and was infact denied many times on issues with my car. One issue was from the dealership using a razor blade they cut the leather on my car and I found it a month later. Guess whos fault it was? MINE lol. Yup never got fixed.
      10-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #85
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
Look at the other cars in his sig. He might have sold the GT-R because it was getting passed over for seat time in the R8 or Scud.
Exactly, it didnt matter if it was the best bang for the buck if it wasnt the best to drive

Something car magazines seem to miss out on. I cant stand when they add at the end the price made them pick. Its about the smile on your face. If the GT-R puts a smile on your face. BUY IT! Its fast. But the Scuderia makes me feel like Schumacher lol.
      11-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #86
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

I'm highly considering this as well. My brother's friends father is the general manager at a Nissan and I received an amazing price by him if I decided to trade my car in. However, the reason I had not jump ship is:
1. Maintenance
2. APR
3. Every day driving

I'll start with 1. The maintenance on this car is absolutely ridiculous. We sat down and discussed that maintenance for this car is VERY expensive; the brakes alone run nearly $10,000.

2. APR. The best APR I could find with my credit score (811) was 4.9% apr and that's from a credit union my fraternity brother's father run's. .9% to 4.9% is a pretty big difference.

3. The suspension on this car is stiffer than the M3's highest EDC mode.

Keep these in mind when you decide. Both cars are dream cars to some people's extent it's a win in either scenario. It only depends on what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #87
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungdae View Post
I'm highly considering this as well. My brother's friends father is the general manager at a Nissan and I received an amazing price by him if I decided to trade my car in. However, the reason I had not jump ship is:
1. Maintenance
2. APR
3. Every day driving

I'll start with 1. The maintenance on this car is absolutely ridiculous. We sat down and discussed that maintenance for this car is VERY expensive; the brakes alone run nearly $10,000.

2. APR. The best APR I could find with my credit score (811) was 4.9% apr and that's from a credit union my fraternity brother's father run's. .9% to 4.9% is a pretty big difference.

3. The suspension on this car is stiffer than the M3's highest EDC mode.

Keep these in mind when you decide. Both cars are dream cars to some people's extent it's a win in either scenario. It only depends on what you're looking for.
Let's remove the APR from the equation. Does your decision still stand?
      11-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #88
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-18 View Post
Should I trade My E93 M3 to get a Nissan GT-R? what do you guys think?
i dont know a convertable vs a super car? you should say should i trade in for a m3 coupe or m3 sedan or a gtr? i hear the gtr is a super harsh ride. my sedan in comfort mode is excellant even in normal mode.
Appreciate 0