BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #45
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
F***... I just got off the phone with BMW NA 2 seconds ago. I went 111 on 1/28 and had an estimated Week 10 production. I am now week 15 producion. He said it was the 19in and M-DCT that was delaying it. That pisses me off so bad.
Welcome to the M-DCT delay support group. We are here to listen to you and help you through this time of great anguish.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #46
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
Welcome to the M-DCT delay support group. We are here to listen to you and help you through this time of great anguish.
I'm never gonna get this car.

Hey BMW!!
Attached Images

02-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #47
///MArdor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

I am looking at late May PCD now too

What to do?...wait. I am not giving up M-DCT nor 19" rims.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #48
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MArdor View Post
What to do?...wait. I am not giving up M-DCT nor 19" rims.
There is a possibility that giving up PCD might get you the car sooner...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #49
gasman
Rep
Drives: 08 RR Sport SC, 08 AW/FR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
There is a possibility that giving up PCD might get you the car sooner...
Lucid...you went 111 the same day I did! I believe you are getting 19's and M-DCT. Have you been delayed yet?
      02-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #50
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Lucid...you went 111 the same day I did! I believe you are getting 19's and M-DCT. Have you been delayed yet?
lucid's not getting M-DCT but is getting the 19's

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #51
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, no DCT for me without experiencing it in person. I get the "sense" that I had a Feb build date, but now have week 11 with the 19"ers. It took my sales guy some time and several conversations to tell me what the projected build date is, so I don't know for sure if the 19"ers caused delay or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #52
///MML
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Seems a little odd to have delays 6mo after production starts. You think BMW would be able to ramp appropriately by now. DCT I can kinda understand but 19" wheel stockouts seems like piss poor planning.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #53
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MML View Post
DCT I can kinda understand but 19" wheel stockouts seems like piss poor planning.
Yes, that is just dumb ass supply chain management. What are the unknowns around forged alloy wheels exactly that can't be managed.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #54
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Exactly. Putting a $1,200 premium on wheels that look fantastic seems like a no brainer to most everyone who has ordered thus far. I wonder why a huge company like BMW wouldn't be able to ramp up production of those wheels specifically to meet new change in demand?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #55
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Something probably went wrong in the supplier's end (I am assuming BMW doesn't actually make the wheels). But there must be 10s of supplier in Germany or elsewhere who can manufacture these wheels to BMW's specs. It's not rocket science. That's the puzzling part. You'd think they'd be managing that part of the equation well, monitoring suppliers and fall back plans and all that. Anyway, it's just strange that orders are being held up because of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #56
///MML
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I didn't order the 19" but to square it with the customer BMW should give them to delayed customers complementary. Hey BMW do the right thing.....
F**ing up the NA launch is not a good thing.

Oh yeah, fire the wheel supply chain manager too.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #57
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Wheel shortage

Quote:
Something probably went wrong in the supplier's end (I am assuming BMW doesn't actually make the wheels). But there must be 10s of supplier in Germany or elsewhere who can manufacture these wheels to BMW's specs. It's not rocket science. That's the puzzling part. You'd think they'd be managing that part of the equation well, monitoring suppliers and fall back plans and all that. Anyway, it's just strange that orders are being held up because of wheels.
With "just in time" supplier deliveries, many things can go wrong. There are not 10s of suppliers that can make high-pressure forged wheels, BTW. The best are 8,000T spread forged; that's specialized equipment. Any one thing, including materials shortages, equipment breakdown, strikes, etc. can put serious wrinkles in the supply chain. Disappointing, but not unusal these days.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #58
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
There are not 10s of suppliers that can make high-pressure forged wheels, BTW.
Hmmm...I find that hard to believe, but I am speculating. Do you have facts on this? Forging metal has been around for centuries. I've been to plants that produce forged metal parts in several countries--developed or developing nations. It's a wide spread manufacturing method. Forged "wheels" is obviously a more specialized application, but it still is by no means rocket science. Producing them in volume requires planning like any form of mass production, but there is nothing special about producing forged wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #59
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm...I find that hard to believe, but I am speculating. Do you have facts on this? Forging metal has been around for centuries. I've been to plants that produce forged metal parts in several countries--developed or developing nations. It's a wide spread manufacturing method. Forged "wheels" is obviously a more specialized application, but it still is by no means rocket science. Producing them in volume requires planning like any form of mass production, but there is nothing special about producing forged wheels.
You must understand that BMW must guarantee a supplier a significant amount of business to entice them to make an investment to produce a product like that just for them. Can other manufacturers make the same wheel? Of course. But BMW contracts with one supplier for most sub assemblies. Changing suppliers would take months. Tires are the only supplied product I know of where BMW often has two suppliers (e.g., Michelin and Coninental), but tires are more universal in application.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 02-08-2008 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #60
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You must understand that BMW must guarantee a supplier a significant amount of business to entice them to make an investment to produce a product like that just for them. Can other manufacturers make the same wheel? Of course. But BMW contracts with one supplier for most sub assemblies. Changing suppliers would take months. Tires is the only supplied product I know of where BMW often has two suppliers (e.g., Michelin and Coninental), but tires are more universal in application.
Sure, I agree that you can't simply walk down the street to any wheel manufacturer when something goes wrong and say I want you to build wheels for me because my contracted supplier is having difficulties at this time. It's not that simple. But I must assume you would want to have contingency plans and actively manage your supplier to make sure things are going somewhat smoothly and look for trouble on the horizon.

Anyway, we are all pretty frustrated that after years of waiting it's come down to this. It's easy for you to say; your car is awaiting transport!

Congrats by the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #61
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sure, I agree that you can't simply walk down the street to any wheel manufacturer when something goes wrong and say I want you to build wheels for me because my contracted supplier is having difficulties at this time. It's not that simple. But I must assume you would want to have contingency plans and actively manage your supplier to make sure things are going somewhat smoothly and look for trouble on the horizon.

Anyway, we are all pretty frustrated that after years of waiting it's come down to this. It's easy for you to say; your car is awaiting transport!

Congrats by the way.
Thanks for the congrats. I obviously don't know the real story on the wheels. It could just be a gross understimate on BMW's part or ineptitude on the supplier's end. But unexpected sh*t happens, as well. Ramp ups are often uneven, but these wheels have been offered for 6 months around most the world.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #62
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But I must assume you would want to have contingency plans and actively manage your supplier to make sure things are going somewhat smoothly and look for trouble on the horizon.
Bingo! I would be shocked if BMW didn't have an "out' written into their contracts with their suppliers that state certain performance milestones and guarantees. What does this mean for us, the end users of their vehicles? Nada. What does it mean for them? Potentially big discounts based on failure to deliver X amount of goods in Y amount of time.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #63
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
Bingo! I would be shocked if BMW didn't have an "out' written into their contracts with their suppliers that state certain performance milestones and guarantees. What does this mean for us, the end users of their vehicles? Nada. What does it mean for them? Potentially big discounts based on failure to deliver X amount of goods in Y amount of time.
That's assuming BMW didn't grossly mis-estimate demand, of course.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #64
Jinxter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
That's assuming BMW didn't grossly mis-estimate demand, of course.
how many allocations could bmw have released to the us already? my guess 2 to 6k probably not even that yet. I would think to cover an amount of vehicle like that not to be far fetched at all. I would understand if they were asking for 40k sets within 2 months time and even that isn't a whole lot.

Real question is if Europe or other country's are having the same problem.

08' e92 M3 6MT // Rogue SSK // B&B Tri Flow Exhaust // AA air filter // Mod Carbon Skirt extensions // Amuse Front/Rear Bumper // Amuse Trunk // Gloss Black Grills w/ M colors // gloss black side vents // M5 Stick with IND custom stitched boot // Carbon Firber wrap steering wheel trim // Avant Garde M364 20' (street) // Advan RS 18's (track)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #65
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxter View Post
how many allocations could bmw have released to the us already? my guess 2 to 6k probably not even that yet. I would think to cover an amount of vehicle like that not to be far fetched at all. I would understand if they were asking for 40k sets within 2 months time and even that isn't a whole lot.

Real question is if Europe or other country's are having the same problem.
You think they're just short-wheeling the US? I would hpe they are spreading it around equally. Our Euro friends have been pretty quiet. Guess we're having our itme in the sun and hey're just out driving!

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #66
domer86
Trouble Maker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I just found out my car went 112!!! yes scheduled for production!!!! finally! that took about 4-5 weeks!!! Hopefully everything will still continue on track even though i have the 19" wheels down. On the other hand I have had a production number since 12/26/07.
-M Audio with Enhanced Bass-I-pod/USB adapter
-19" Wheels-Rear Sunshade
Appreciate 0