BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

BPM

01-08-2024, 01:35 AM   #1
Z33KLF
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

WTB: TRW Front Left Lower Wishbone

WTB TRW Front Left Lower Wishbone
The reason I’m posting is because the front left lower wishbone is back ordered and I was not able to find any website/company that have this part in stock.
Part#: 31102283577
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 12:48 PM   #2
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

You can also use Lemforder or OEM. I think TRW is no longer available and not making any at the moment since they relocated their factory.

I recently got monoball lower control arms and they came pressed in with Lemforder arms. Got them installed and handles like brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 06:44 PM   #3
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmunk View Post
You can also use Lemforder or OEM. I think TRW is no longer available and not making any at the moment since they relocated their factory.

I recently got monoball lower control arms and they came pressed in with Lemforder arms. Got them installed and handles like brand new car.
The tension arm is different. Lemforders are non-m arms that GAS uses to install their monoballs. Lemforder doesn't appear to make M3 arms, only non m, so I wouldn't used those since unlike the tension arms they are different dimensions and uses a rubber bushing.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 07:17 PM   #4
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
The tension arm is different. Lemforders are non-m arms that GAS uses to install their monoballs. Lemforder doesn't appear to make M3 arms, only non m, so I wouldn't used those since unlike the tension arms they are different dimensions and uses a rubber bushing.
Had that concern too. But GAS provided this video. https://germanautosolutions.com/wp-c...Comparison.mp4
Ordered the lower control arms with GAS monoball and the side by side with OEM looks exactly same. Didn’t have any fitment issue.

I went with GAS front lower control arms and OEM front upper control arms.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 07:40 AM   #5
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Had that concern too. But GAS provided this video. https://germanautosolutions.com/wp-c...Comparison.mp4
Ordered the lower control arms with GAS monoball and the side by side with OEM looks exactly same. Didn’t have any fitment issue.

I went with GAS front lower control arms and OEM front upper control arms.
That video only shows the tension arm (often referred to as the Front Lower Arm).

The Lower Wishbone (often referred to as the Front Lower Rearward Arm) is what the OP is referring to, and is the arm that is backordered. This arm isn't in the GAS video comparison and I haven't seen anyone claim the M and Non-m versions are the same, I believe they aren't because the M wishbone give more camber on non-ms.

TRW M Wishbone Arm.

Non-M Lemforder
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:00 PM   #6
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That video only shows the tension arm (often referred to as the Front Lower Arm).

The Lower Wishbone (often referred to as the Front Lower Rearward Arm) is what the OP is referring to, and is the arm that is backordered. This arm isn't in the GAS video comparison and I haven't seen anyone claim the M and Non-m versions are the same, I believe they aren't because the M wishbone give more camber on non-ms.

TRW M Wishbone Arm.

Non-M Lemforder
What you’re calling wishbone is called as front upper control arms by BMW.

Yes, you’re correct, there is an M and an non-M version. And to my knowledge, you can only buy genuine BMW upper control arms now. TRW is not selling the arms with the BMW logos shaved off at the moment. I don’t know whether TRW may or may not be supplying BMW these front upper control arms at the moment or BMW has enough inventory for now.

I went with OEM on the front upper control arms from FCPEuro. And got the front lower control arms with monoballs already pressed from GAS. Handles and feels like a brand new car now.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 08:11 AM   #7
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What you’re calling wishbone is called as front upper control arms by BMW.
Sounds like we agree, I just wanted to correct your mistake again so no one is confused, no one calls it an upper arm, Realoem/tis calls it a wishbone, FCP/other site call it a "Front Rearward".

It would be wrong to call it an upper arm, it's the lowest arm in the front suspension.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 10:50 AM   #8
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
TRW is not selling the arms with the BMW logos shaved off at the moment.
I beleive you are wrong again, I ordered the right wishbone from FCP and the Left from RockAuto two weeks ago.

This is the TRW arm I got from FCP.

TRW Germany arm, with BMW logo shaved off. Not sure how long this will last but it's not like the tension arm that changed a while ago (atleast in my experience).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 11:11 AM   #9
itoto
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Can try delphi, i ordered them instead. Couldnt get trw because rockauto doesnt ship trw to california cause trw didnt submit prop65 stuff supposedly.
chocstraw495.50
      01-17-2024, 10:44 PM   #10
krudmunk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I beleive you are wrong again, I ordered the right wishbone from FCP and the Left from RockAuto two weeks ago.

This is the TRW arm I got from FCP.

TRW Germany arm, with BMW logo shaved off. Not sure how long this will last but it's not like the tension arm that changed a while ago (atleast in my experience).
TRW is the OEM manufacturer for these arms.

I think only BMW have TRW arms at this time. TRW is not supplying/selling themselves or giving to anyone else but BMW at this time. It could possibly be that BMW just have enough inventory.

I’m not sure what’s going on. But I waited for TRW to restock for a while since their price is so much lower. I couldn’t wait longer and ended going with FCP Euro. What you got is same as what I got.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 07:34 AM   #11
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
TRW is the OEM manufacturer for these arms.

I think only BMW have TRW arms at this time. TRW is not supplying/selling themselves or giving to anyone else but BMW at this time. It could possibly be that BMW just have enough inventory.

I’m not sure what’s going on. But I waited for TRW to restock for a while since their price is so much lower. I couldn’t wait longer and ended going with FCP Euro. What you got is same as what I got.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2024, 02:08 AM   #12
Z33KLF
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do u like these so far?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 07:32 AM   #13
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z33KLF View Post
How do u like these so far?
Didn't end up installing the Delphi arm, got a notification from FCP the TRW was instock, ordered it right away.

Will keep it as a spare.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:38 AM   #14
chocstraw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Just installed the Lemförder GAS control arms with monoballs and I am very pleased with the general build and quality.

If TRW is cost cutting by producing in Malaysia, I wouldn't put it beyond bean counters to cut costs on materials in the ball joint.

I guess if I didn't have the monoballs I'd be more concerned with the Lemförders but I think the monoball GAS arms are the best upgrade I've done besides camber plates for suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 07:56 AM   #15
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocstraw View Post
Just installed the Lemförder GAS control arms with monoballs and I am very pleased with the general build and quality.

If TRW is cost cutting by producing in Malaysia, I wouldn't put it beyond bean counters to cut costs on materials in the ball joint.

I guess if I didn't have the monoballs I'd be more concerned with the Lemförders but I think the monoball GAS arms are the best upgrade I've done besides camber plates for suspension.
FYI this thead is about the lower control arm, not the ones you got.

The left one has been mostly out of stock at FCP for the past couple of months.

Appreciate 0